Is it worth rewening SuperSearch?

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
unfrostedpoptart

Is it worth rewening SuperSearch?

Post by unfrostedpoptart » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:11 pm

My Supersearch is about to expire. I've been using NL/SS for a few years and really like it, especially the new feature of combining multi-parts in searches. However, SS has been a real mess lately with incomplete/inconsistent results returned. This has been discussed in several threads, but there's been no good response from Spiril or Smudge, which is really disappointing.

If there's no official word on this, with an explanation and a plan to fix it, I'm planning on not renewing. It will be a bit more of a pain to have to use newzleech.com/NZB files, but at least it will work.

Anyone else dropping SS?

David

unfrostedpoptart

Post by unfrostedpoptart » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:13 pm

oops - miss-spelled renewing in the title :^)

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:40 am

Sorry but I don't have the details since I'm not the developer. I only do front line support.

Spiril has said before that the SuperSearch servers will get a rewrite when the new Delphi compiler is available, which is due this fall I believe. This will allow for 64 bit programs which will allow for a much longer retention of the article headers.

If you are not happy with the software/service and don't want to renew, that is your right. Hopefully you will try us again later.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

silverbommel

Post by silverbommel » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:42 am

Well, I regret but for the time being I 'm saying goodbye!

Today I received the message SS had expired and I see no reason to renew the license. For months we need to use an nzbindex site for 1 out of 2 searches, because SS sees too many complete posts as incomplete.

You can contact me when SS is doing it 's job again and I will renew my license. Until that day I 'll use other ways to find what I 'm looking for.

I wish you all the best...

Goodbye!
Silverbommel
Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

poohbeer

Post by poohbeer » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:11 pm

Smudge wrote: This will allow for 64 bit programs which will allow for a much longer retention of the article headers.

Wow.. a response :o

Just to add that the issue doesn't seem to be related to how old articles are.. any post of any age has about 50 procent of being impossible to fix with newsleechers build-in features.
While getting the nzb's from another site and then downloading often doesn't even require R&E to do any repairing.

Tartiflette

... Good question.

Post by Tartiflette » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:56 pm

I was asking myself the same question (renew or not ?).
I begin to have doubts about the usefulness of Supersearch vs NZBindex/Binsearch/Bintube/Newsleech...
I encounter too often empty results with SS when the search engines have some.
Last example, today (10/22/09) try SS with "TLAWSZ" gave no results while NZBindex and Binsearch gave me the full 74 files found in a.b.dvd.criterion (posted 15 hours ago).
I don't understand why... I guess the 64 bits don't have much to do with this.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:09 am

No results because a.b.dvd.criterion isn't an indexed group. You can see the current list of groups, and request a group to be added to the index, at the Supersearch Status Page
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

the doctor

not having this problem

Post by the doctor » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:15 pm

I 'm not seeing any of these problems with SS downloads not being complete enough to repair - As a matter of fact I find just the opposite, most d/l files don't need repairing - needing repair is the exception not the rule.

I thought it is your news server that is responsible for completeness of files.

Smudge, am I wrong about that? Does SS have anything to do with a post being complete or or not?

One other thing - poohbeer, what kind of filtering are you doing? Are the filters you are using, creating a situation where you don't get all of the posted files? For instance, if you use a minimum size filter, the SS listing won't include the smaller files - Which could cause a SS listed post to be incomplete enough to need repair or not to repair at all.

Quaraxkad

Re: not having this problem

Post by Quaraxkad » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:41 am

the doctor wrote:Smudge, am I wrong about that? Does SS have anything to do with a post being complete or or not?
If SuperSearch thinks a post is incomplete, it will not be able to tell NewsLeecher what articles to download that make up that post. It doesn't matter if the post is complete or incomplete on your specific server, you can only download the articles that NewsLeecher is aware of.

PacoSan

Post by PacoSan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:45 pm

I, for one, will NOT renew Newsleecher. This situation (incompletes) has been going on for TOO LONG and does not seemed to be addressed.

I really like the integrated approach of SuperSearch but can not justify PAYING for something that doesn't work. There any many FREE alternatives for doing the same thing.

psilocybe23

Post by psilocybe23 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:11 pm

i'm not sure what you all are talking about.

the only problem i have with supersearch is that the retention is a bit low, thats why i use some nzb sites because some of the go back longer or have nzb's posted months after the initial posting of the articles.

but about the incompletes, everything i download works xD

JimBob976

Post by JimBob976 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:10 pm

psilocybe23: I've had little to no problems in all the years that I've used Supersearch but in the last month or so I might get one complete set out of 30 searches. In the rest of the searches about 50% are missing some part and the other 50% are missing to many parts to even repair with the par files... mostly because the pars are also incomplete. If I list the group that contains the files they are 100% complete or in a very fue cases maybe missing a part or two but not even close to the crap that SuperSearch gives me.

Jagoff

Post by Jagoff » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:15 pm

First off.. I lurk and rarely say anything.. I use newsleecher supersearch and an nzb index service in tandem because I like to have a little more security for many things I download. Newsleecher as a program is the very best, hands down, at what it does and it saves me a lot of time. I use supersearch in only a supplemental way. Newsleecher is so far ahead of the competition I can't imagine using anything else.

That being said, if the supersearch function does not work properly the company should consider taking a small hit and extend the supersearch subscriptions until they get it to work properly. I feel like this is a basic fundamental in business. It will pay off in the long run. Admit things are not working as they should and apologize and extend everyone's subscription until it is repaired. We love the bulk of your product but consumers never forget when they are treated unfairly and this situation definitely appears to be a legitimate issue.

First and possibly last post....

OSJF

Post by OSJF » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:51 am

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for a while since my Newsleecher license expired.

When I started using Newsleecher 3 years ago the only reason to license Newsleecher was SuperSearch. However, binary retention and free search engines have developed over the years. SuperSearch actually didn't. Even worse it started to fail lately when it comes to uncomplete files.

Erotic rentention is 30days? Other binarys is up to 300? This is nothing I'd renew my license for. Come one... Giganews is at 500 day retention.

I will keep reading this forum hoping that one day SuperSearch will become what it was a long time ago until then, I have no reason to renew my license. I'm under the impression the developers aren't aware that SuperSearch is one of the most important reasons for customers to license Newsleecher.

Imho!
Johnny

JMark

Post by JMark » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:44 pm

JohnnyFu wrote:
I will keep reading this forum hoping that one day SuperSearch will become what it was a long time ago until then, I have no reason to renew my license. I'm under the impression the developers aren't aware that SuperSearch is one of the most important reasons for customers to license Newsleecher.

Imho!
Johnny
Agreed. And complaints here are mostly ignored. I doubt I'll renew.