How come supersearch doesn't index certain groups?

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
eighty5

How come supersearch doesn't index certain groups?

Post by eighty5 »

I was curious as to why supersearch doesn't index alt.binaries.scary.exe.files

I just noticed that it doesn't and would like to know why

eighty5

Post by eighty5 »

sorry, just found http://www.newsleecher.com/ss.php and have added to the list

Dibbler

Post by Dibbler »

I have been asking for that group to be added as well.

Please try and get this done :)

Voyager2k

Post by Voyager2k »

From my experience this makes absolutely no diffrence. Wether you add a group or not ....... it's one of usenets most guarded secrets how supersearch knows which groups to index ;-)

Dibbler

Post by Dibbler »

well it doesn't seem to matter as we are being ignored anyway. What is the point of using the correct process to make a request when it is ignored..?

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

The scary.exe.files group was added to the SuperSearch index 4 days ago ;)
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

Dibbler

Post by Dibbler »

as usual you are always one jump ahead of us mere mortals :D

or perhaps just me

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

and just an FYI. When you request a group to be added via the SuperSearch Status Page, it is not automatically added to the system. It is a manual process and only happens when the SuperSearch indexer is restarted, which is not very often. It will then only index new posts as they come in. It cannot go back and get all available headers from the news server.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Dibbler

Post by Dibbler »

ah now I understand. Thanks Smudge :)

BlizzardUK

Post by BlizzardUK »

When it says "Note: The data below *only* applies to the SuperSearch engine, used by NewsLeecher V3.9 and older." does that mean those of us using 4 and above have a different and more advanced system ? Also is the retention correct when it says only 204 days general and 74 erotica ?

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

Both search systems used to use the same list but I think they have diverged recently as Spiril is working on a different group list/request system for the new SuperSearch server.

yes the retention levels listed on that page are fairly accurate for the 3.9 search system.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.