Tried all solutions / Newest Beta : SS Can't Load News Page

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
kimagure

Tried all solutions / Newest Beta : SS Can't Load News Page

Post by kimagure » Sat May 07, 2005 10:00 pm

Just purchased SS package (license is fine, app loads/registers correctly and About box says w/ SuperSearch package), but getting can't load News Page from startup/refresh @ news page. Tried all of the following:

* OS is Windows XP Japanese / non-unicode locale is Japanese (SP2). Found in one thread that 2.3 b3 supports international locales correctly (pipes in the url and not the S symbol). Have no problem loading the page from IE directly. Although changing the license no to something else invalid (swXXXXXX) seems to also give me the same page back, so I'm not sure if this is a valid test.

* Tried changing non-unicode locale to US English, no effect. My locale has to be Japanese regardless, but this still didn't work.

* Cleared all temporary files/cookies/offline content.

* Checked hosts file (found in another thread for any entries of newsleecher) -- nothing there except localhost.

* Disabled Windows Firewall. No luck.

* Disabled VirusScan Enterprise. No luck.

* Tried erasing all registry entries for 'leech' (search). Reinstalled. License key was still there after reinstall.

* Tried version 2.1. Nothing.

* Reinstalled 2.3 b3 2 times. Nothing.

* Added newsleecher.com to trusted hosts for Internet Security. No luck.

Still getting an error message that it can't load the News Page (it shows up fine in both IE and the News tab in NL). No detailed error message though. I tried emailing support as well but I figured I'd post here to see if I could get any further assistance.

Thanks,

kimagure

New Error

Post by kimagure » Sun May 08, 2005 1:06 pm

Tried reinstalling 2.1 again, and then set non-Unicode app locale to En-US, after which the "Error -loader.832-. Please report to author at support@newsleecher.com." error mentioned in another thread came up.

Language for the OS is still Japanese though.

Regardless, even if I could get it to work on an English version of Windows, it would be completely useless to me as 80% of my apps are Japanese.

The odd thing is that when the non-Unicode app locale is set to Japanese, the news page loads fine, for both 2.1 and 2.3 b3 but the error dialog pops up anyway / SS is disabled. In other words the URL works fine, regardless of a pipe or other character, but whatever status the error check is expecting for that dialog fails under non-English systems. Are you checking for some string literal from the system as a status result? Or do you expect the HTML generated from the webpage to be in some particular format/encoding that is limited to English?

It is mentioned in the other thread, and also in the version history, but I don't think the issues w/ compatibility have been addressed completely as per the version history for 2.3 b2.

kimagure

Post by kimagure » Tue May 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Does the lack of a response to this mean that regardless of paying for SS, I'm not going to be able to use it?

As far as I can see the problem is pretty simple.

1. The web page is loading fine. With 2.1 and with 2.3 b3.
2. The version checking logic is working fine. When new versions are available, the dialogs appear fine.

However,

3. Whatever logic is being used to check to see if the web page loaded correctly and subsequently disable the SS tab is dependent on some form of response/text that is limited to English systems, and fails to function correctly when the OS/locale for a system is non-English.

Any thoughts?

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer » Tue May 10, 2005 4:42 pm

Hmm

Yep does look like it could just be your japan configuration. Try a PM to smudge or spiril

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek » Tue May 10, 2005 10:38 pm

Me1432 wrote:Hmm

Yep does look like it could just be your japan configuration. Try a PM to smudge or spiril
The unicode thing was supposedly fixed in 2.3b3 (at least some users who previously couldn't use ss, could with 2.3b3). Besides, he tried setting the non-unicode language to us/english, and it didn't help, so I'd say it's probably something else.

Could it be something else, like your isp blocking certain ports?
hich error are you getting when ss can't connect, is it still the loader 832 error?

kimagure

Post by kimagure » Wed May 11, 2005 2:11 pm

There is no error 832.

See, the problem is that there IS nothing visibly wrong -- the web page loads fine (I can see it in the News tab), the version checking is fine (the dialog pops up when new versions are available), but regardless of that, I get an error dialog telling me that it can't load the News Page (despite the fact that it's clearly visible), and, as a result, the SuperSearch tab automatically becomes disabled.

I have a direct, permanent, completely unblocked/unrestricted connection. Nothing is blocked unless I block it myself, and I've disabled everything in sight.

kimagure

Post by kimagure » Wed May 11, 2005 3:15 pm

Already sent an email to support regarding this issue, but I suppose as the vast majority of people use English language, English locale windows, this issue doesn't really have much priority.

A vast majority of my apps in Japanese, and require the entire OS to be in Japanese language / Shift JIS to size controls/labels/etc. right.

Don't really feel like trying to install an english version of xp just to test it either...

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:09 am

kimagure,

You still experience the SS prob?
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.