Newsleecher software hidden and can't be seen. plz help

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
haldir

Newsleecher software hidden and can't be seen. plz help

Post by haldir » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:23 pm

I have had almost no problems with NL with the exception of the few memory errors that everyone seems to get.

However today when I hit my maximize button in the upper right corner (between min and close), now newsleecher can't be found on my monitor. I can see the top of newsleecher shoot the top right of my screen when clicking on my tab in my menu bar, but that's about it. The bar (about an inch in size) flies to the corner and yet my desktop is fully viewable with no newleecher in sight.

**** To clarify, when I try to view NL in a WINDOWED format, that's when it's hidden.******

After using keyboard commmand to bring up the file option, I found that I can only see NL if it's fully maxmized. From this position, even if I down size the software to the menu bar, it still hides itself. No other software is affected and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have reinstalled, even removed registry information. Yet, the software still has it in it's mind to keep this bug.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:39 pm

Have you tried right clicking on the taskbar entry and then select move when NL is hidden? Your cursor will change and move to the location of the window. Use the arrow keys to bring it back in view. This 'bug' could be related to windows only, not NL itself. I've seen other windows do the same when not maximized. When I used the arrow keys to move it back to where it should be, everything was fine after that.

haldir

Post by haldir » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:44 pm

Thanks for the reply ! :)

I have tried the move option and it won't let me grab the file, so I followed up by posting here to see if anyone else had the problem.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:43 am

click on the task bar entry for NewsLeecher, press alt+space then the M key. This will set the cursor to Move mode and will move the NewsLeecher window. You can then use the arrow keys to move the window into view on the main screen.

Except for selecting NewsLeecher on the task bar, to not use the mouse anymore even when the cursor changes to the 4 arrows. Wait until you have moved the window into view can you then use the mouse again.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

haldir

Post by haldir » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:49 am

Gave it a try and it just won't let me grab it with the move.

No worries guys, I can still use the software. What I don't understand is that if I removed the software and removed the traces in the registry, why would windows still only hide this software.

I tried 20+ other programs and this is the only one.

The problem only came up from when I hit the window button. However I have hit that button before and nothing went wrong. (no other software was placed on this system)

Like I said no big deal. I just wanted to see if this had something to do with NL, but I would assume no at this point.

Thanks for all your help ! :)

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:59 am

The window placement is stored in the main configuration file, setup.dat. Try quitting NL then remove that file. When you relaunch NL, all general configurations will be reset to defaults.

Are you using a GUI theme application like WindowBlinds or Stardock? Perhaps one of those apps is screwing up with the NewsLeecher window system.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

fspano

Post by fspano » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:33 pm

I got the very same problem today. Maybe MS updated something? It behaves like if "restore" command were "minimize to tray".

Anyway it works when maximized. But I lost much time because when I right-click on taskbar icon the menu that shows up hasn't the "maximize" option, only restore/iconize and close. I read your tip about keyboard shortcut and it worked. When I use the Alt-Space the menu shows up complete.

haldir

Post by haldir » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:34 pm

SUCCESS!!!!!!

Here's what I did....

1) Uninstall newsleecher entirely. IMPORTANT, do not let it remove your downloads (mine are all gone) lol.

2) use REGcleaner and remove the newsleecher file in your registry.

3) reinstall newsleecher and I found that for some reason my XP bar was unlocked. After locking it, it was fixed.

Hope this helps. :)

- Haldir -