NewsLeecher does not properly shut down

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
Paul2or3

NewsLeecher does not properly shut down

Post by Paul2or3 »

When I close NewsLeecher, the window closes ok. However, when I then go to Task Manager, there are still 2 instances of NewsLeecher still running.

Magic

Post by Magic »

What version are you using?
Back in business!

Paul2or3

Post by Paul2or3 »

I just now upgraded to beta 32. The problem seems to have gone away. Strange.

viper16grl

Post by viper16grl »

I have also had this same problem. I have been since I started using the program. I am running the latest beta version and it doesn't seem to help. every now and then it will choose to close properly but that's rarely. anybody else having the same problem?

Paul2or3

Post by Paul2or3 »

You are correct. The problem is sporadic. Sometimes it closes. Most of the time it does not.

I had thought that the latest version solved my problem, but I as wrong. It's doing it again.

Paul2or3

Post by Paul2or3 »

I've had the same problem with 1.0 Final, and now with the first 3 betas. No one seems interested in fixing this problem.

MrCrowley

Post by MrCrowley »

I will admit i have experienced a delay when shutting down NL.
I think its because it is saving some data to disk, probably the more ram you have the quicker it does this, be patient and check back a few minutes later to see if NL has closed down.

Paul2or3

Post by Paul2or3 »

I have 1 gig of RAM. It isnt just taking a long time to shut down. The program appears to shut down, but if you hit ALT CTRL DEL, you will see that it's still running. If you try to re-launch the program, it will not open unless you do ALT CTRL DEL first, and shut down the old session.

reanimator

Post by reanimator »

Same probleem overhere :(
Everytime I hope the problem is solved in the last beta. But the problem is still there.

jec

got the same problem as the rest

Post by jec »

It doesn't shut down at all, hope it will be fixed soon

Magic

Post by Magic »

still no probs here....... :?
Back in business!

Paul2or3

Post by Paul2or3 »

Since I started this thread, I have built a new computer. Still running Windows XP. The original problem still exists. Newsleecher does not properly shut down. Window disappears, but it is still running in Task Manager.

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

More than likely then it is a problem with your antivirus or firewall software. My hunch is that it is AV related.

techfuzz

Paul2or3

Post by Paul2or3 »

I guess that is possible, but not likely. On the old machine, I had Norton Anti-Virus. It was a resource hog, so on this new computer I have CA ezTrust Anti-Virus. Would be surprising if both caused the same problem.

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

Try booting into safe mode with networking enabled and run NL from there. That'll give you a good indication if it is something loading on your machine that is causing it hang on exit or not.

techfuzz