NewsLeecher Hangs

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
SnIcK

NewsLeecher Hangs

Post by SnIcK »

When I download a file , when newsleecher save this file to the hard-disk, it hangs and all threads are halted (even UI) until the file write has completed. This is a pain specially when you get a 50mb file.

Tigggger

Post by Tigggger »

I'm not sure if that's really a bug, or just because of the way newsleecher works, it does the same thing for me btw.

Because it's downloading multiple parts from multiple servers, when it gets the last part, it has to put them all back together again, so the bigger the file the longer it takes to do the task.

Icefreez

Post by Icefreez »

Same thing here. I guess NL could implement some sort of prioritizing, to say that downloading parts get more resources than files that need to be pieced together after a download.

I know grabit queues these tasks up to prevent the UI from sticking.

Its not a bad bug :P I would say it can wait a while before its fixed :)
- Icefreez

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

yep, nl freezes when it combines all the downloaded article parts and moves the combined file to the download folder.

the freeze could be prevented by making the combine code multithreaded. Shouldnt be too hard to do. I'll put it on the wishlist! :D

Cheers

kleinvaag

Post by kleinvaag »

How about pre-compiling like BNR2 does, would that take less resources ?

Or an option not to combine parts automatically, but on a time the user activates this?

kleinvaag

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

It's not easy to precompile the article parts because newsleecher uses several simultaneous connections to download the articles.

Making the combine code multithreaded should make newsleecher 100% responsive while combining and saving the article.

kleinvaag

Post by kleinvaag »

Ok.
No problem if NL doesn't precompile the parts.
Maybe an option not to combine the parts at all while downloading, so the user can let NL combine the parts at a later time?

I have little problems with compiling by NL. It works almost like a charm @ AMD2600 @ 1 GB DDR400 memory :-)

Gregoor

Post by Gregoor »

Shouldn't post it here because I already posted it on the sticky topic on top of the list on this sub-forum. But I will anyway as it seems it doesn't really show there was a new post there as there is no white or yellow icon in front of sticky topics :o

But I'd like for the progress-bars when loading and unloading newsgroups not to be on top of all windows. This can be annoying at times when multi-tasking.