Anyone Experience lack of Downloading all Headers sometimes?

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

Do you guy's agree that the cache in Beta 10+ is the Fastest you've seen on any NewsReader?

Yes
46%
Yes, But It Is Not Stable
46%
No
8%

Total votes: 13

mv

Anyone Experience lack of Downloading all Headers sometimes?

Post by mv »

I have a BIG problem with beta 10, 11, and/or 12.

I can use my 4 servers and download all headers or update to the newest, whichever applies at the time. But for some reason, some headers just don't seem to ever make it down. My example is a recent post on a.b.dvd of a Beavis & Butthead set of binaries. Out of 84 parts, about 79 showed up and successfully downloaded. The missing 5 were not even listed as incomplete. It was like they never made it to the servers.

I use the same 4 servers on BNR2. I had to resort to this because of the idiot who posted this included NO PARS. But regardless, all 84 parts were complete through BNR2. But not a possibility finding the missing ones on Leecher.

Curious if anyone has seen this happen before. Very wierd and hard to guess why this is occurring only on leecher.

For reference, the 4 servers I use are: Astraweb, Ultrafeed, Supernews, & BuzzardNews for Fills Only (no speedcaps)

If anyone has a similar experience, please post a reply here to let the author know about it. I've had it happen a good dozen times in the last couple of weeks of moving to beta 10, 11, or 12.

Oh this is more cosmetic. Just noticed it now. I using Newsleecher on a 160gb HD for the program and just checked the interface. It is reporting 54.5gb free when there is over 120gb free on that drive (one partition) Windows sees the full 151gb or whatever formula you use, but newsleecher is reporting that much lower number. Just a FYI to throw in.

Thanks in Advance.
Mr Voice
mv@usa.com

salami
Forum Moderator

Post by salami »

indeed, it is really unstable and a pretty big pain in the ass. the ability to download and store headers should be the basic fundament of a decent newsreader, i don't want to worry about it working properly everytime i see an incomplete post... if i knew it would become that unstable, i wouldn't have bought it.

if it doesn't get fixed with B13, i'll be back with some other newsreader :-(

mv

Followup to Buggy Newsleecher - Hoping B13 is out soon...

Post by mv »

Yes, as much as I like the GUI and speed. It is getting to be more of a hastle then it's worth since beta9 is the only one out there with minimal bugs but the cache is slow like most newsreaders I've used so at this point there is no advantage anymore. I have about 5 computers on my lan... couple laptops, 2 desktops, and a server so I can keep installing trials are different machines but honestly, I still believe this should not be trial based, but more time based like many other programs do when it's in beta and you "NEED" people to test it. you hard code an expiration date which is liberal enough to know that the next beta will be out by that time.

All newsreaders have their good and bad points. If all the features from the big browsers were in and working without limitation, newsleecher will prevail as king, but it's been in beta for a year and we will likely have a new U.S. President by the time it is released. But at least he's taking his time and not rushing into production. then again he is charging for a product more unstable then Windows Operating System releases. I don't get it. Anyhow, anonyone ever use Ozway or a newsreader with a name like that?

I like my newsbinpro but don't like the header and thread performance but it "IS" rock solid. BNR2 is fast when few headers are cached, but lacks serious performance after you load up a big group. Then there are other programs as well... For overall stability, I won't uninstall NewsbinPro since things are so unstable with leecher, i need a reliable backup. I already backup my cache directory for leecher at least once a day because I am tired of downloading the same headers over and over again when it corrupts itself.

OK, that's the last chapter in the book I just wrote. I hope B13 comes out soon and seriously addresses some major issues and restores the posting option for god sakes... You can't even post files, so what's the big deal with having read and post text capabilities? I can't even download a text message with "article header" without leecher going bellyup.

Oh well, take my comments for what they are worth. Have a nice day.
salami wrote:indeed, it is really unstable and a pretty big pain in the ass. the ability to download and store headers should be the basic fundament of a decent newsreader, i don't want to worry about it working properly everytime i see an incomplete post... if i knew it would become that unstable, i wouldn't have bought it.

if it doesn't get fixed with B13, i'll be back with some other newsreader :-(
Mr Voice
mv@usa.com

Kakashi Sensei

Post by Kakashi Sensei »

I get this as well. I do an update and then when i try to find files i know are on Easynews, but dont show up in the newsreader. very frusterating

mv

Post by mv »

Kakashi Sensei wrote:I get this as well. I do an update and then when i try to find files i know are on Easynews, but dont show up in the newsreader. very frusterating
A pain in the a**

I wonder if the software author went on a long cruise or something? Haven't seen anything new for almost a month...
Mr Voice
mv@usa.com

invalidKey

Re: Followup to Buggy Newsleecher - Hoping B13 is out soon..

Post by invalidKey »

mv wrote:at this point there is no advantage anymore.
If you use more than one server and have to pay for them I would think the fills only option would still be an advantage. That is the ONLY reason I paid to register a beta. I use my ISP, UNS, and Easynews and newsleecher can download from all three at the same time while costing me minimal money. It never downloads anything from Easynews unless it's the only one that has it no matter how many bots I have setup. Try to get NBPro to do that. You have to restrict the download threads with NBP which slows it down or it starts hitting the pay servers for stuff that's on the free server. But, as you pointed out, NBPro is rock solid. One of the very few programs I've never seen crash. Maybe I'm just lucky. :wink:

The Ozway you refered to is Ozum I'm sure. It's been awhile since I looked at it and can't remember what it was that I hated. Whatever it was I didn't just not like it, I hated it. That's my opinion though and should be taken as such (I still can't believe anyone in their right mind uses NewsRover, that is utter and total crap IMO). Ozum might be exactly what your looking for.

Like everyone else, I hope beta 13 isn't too far away. :D
(c) 2003 No one in particular

mv

Post by mv »

invalidKey wrote:
mv wrote:at this point there is no advantage anymore.
There used to be a random bug with newsbinpro that seems to have disappeared. Just say you want to reset your thread amounts or something and you are in the process of downloading. Going and hitting kill on each thread sometimes kicked newsbinpro out of memory... Very wierd and it lost it's memory of what you were doing. Doesn't happen with 4.21 or 4.22.

But Newsbinpro is a great "Consumer" brick house. Which newsleecher is wells on it's way to at least being "consumer reader" the brick house is yet to be seen. But BNR2's latest best did add the fill server option which is vital with a service like easynews. Though my only metered service is a freebee of 750mb/day, it still is using that option. I found a reseller of Supernews unlimited speedcapped accounts and there is no concern for megabytes, just newsbin can't do over 8 threads and that would max out newsbin at 1.0mb/sec. No thanks. BNR2 and Newsleecher do great with infinite threads, or so it seems.

Astraweb has got a damn good rep of up time probably 28/30 days and speeds are capped at 2mb/sec but are always consistant... Ultrafeed is the farthest thing from consistancy for speed. So having no thread limit so to speak is huge and very few newsreaders have this. One minute ultrafeed can be doing 4mb/sec and the next minute, it takes a break for 30 seconds... Not a good thing for newsbinpro where you max out your threads.

OK, a little off topic but more or less good reasons why multithreads of more than 8 and a fills option are essential in todays usenet prices and overall performance. So if ultrafeed takes it's break, my other servers can raise it's throttle. a 4mb/sec pipe is nice to keep filled for optimal downloads. With newsbin and my servers, near impossible.

Oh, UNS is SH*T... at least for the two months for me. I was with them last year and many more months the year before. They just can't get it right. Anyways, I send my prayers to you as a UNS member.

Later

If you use more than one server and have to pay for them I would think the fills only option would still be an advantage. That is the ONLY reason I paid to register a beta. I use my ISP, UNS, and Easynews and newsleecher can download from all three at the same time while costing me minimal money. It never downloads anything from Easynews unless it's the only one that has it no matter how many bots I have setup. Try to get NBPro to do that. You have to restrict the download threads with NBP which slows it down or it starts hitting the pay servers for stuff that's on the free server. But, as you pointed out, NBPro is rock solid. One of the very few programs I've never seen crash. Maybe I'm just lucky. :wink:

The Ozway you refered to is Ozum I'm sure. It's been awhile since I looked at it and can't remember what it was that I hated. Whatever it was I didn't just not like it, I hated it. That's my opinion though and should be taken as such (I still can't believe anyone in their right mind uses NewsRover, that is utter and total crap IMO). Ozum might be exactly what your looking for.

Like everyone else, I hope beta 13 isn't too far away. :D
Mr Voice
mv@usa.com

invalidKey

Post by invalidKey »

mv wrote:But BNR2's latest best did add the fill server option which is vital with a service like easynews.
I'll have to check that out. It's been awhile since I used BNR.
mv wrote:Oh, UNS is SH*T...
I know what you mean. :wink: I went from downloading every 1 or 2 days to every 3-5 days. Since my ISP has at most 2 days retention Easynews was killing me. Didn't have to get a 2nd mortgage but it was pretty bad. I had bad experiences with UNS a while ago also, but enough people told me they had solved most their problems that I decided to check it out again. So far they have been flawless. Having said that, I'm off to find some wood to knock on. :lol:
(c) 2003 No one in particular

mv

Post by mv »

invalidKey wrote:
mv wrote:But BNR2's latest best did add the fill server option which is vital with a service like easynews.
I know what you mean. :wink: I went from downloading every 1 or 2 days to every 3-5 days. Since my ISP has at most 2 days retention Easynews was killing me. Didn't have to get a 2nd mortgage but it was pretty bad. I had bad experiences with UNS a while ago also, but enough people told me they had solved most their problems that I decided to check it out again. So far they have been flawless. Having said that, I'm off to find some wood to knock on. :lol:
Funny enough, I've been a customer of a very low end news-server called buzzardnews for about 3 years. It worked out to $5.00 a month with no speed caps or download limits and 6 connections. Problem was they only had 50% completion at besst.

They just upgraded or struck a deal with webusenet who is the parent company of UNS and is offering what looks like their own branded version of a UNS type server, but with 14-20 days retention and still unlimited downloads and no speed caps. Been flawless so far. I've been a long time member so I took advantage of the limited grandfathered rates and have the next year working out to $5.38 a month or something like that.

However, they seem to have many more plan options than UNS.
Worth checking out since they do a 3 day free trial and it really is free.

Anyways, NL is continuously pis*ing me off so after I finish downloading my last batch, I think it's time to break out newsbin pro until the next beta comes out. This browser reminds me how windows 95 was when it first came out.
Mr Voice
mv@usa.com

maxmarrie

Post by maxmarrie »

invalidKey wrote:
Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:41 pm
Could you please tell me that what type of mortgage are you talking about? I have a good experienced about it. If you have any query you can ask it from me.

freddyK1

Re: Anyone Experience lack of Downloading all Headers sometimes?

Post by freddyK1 »

downloading stop in the milddle

antoninb111

Re: Anyone Experience lack of Downloading all Headers sometimes?

Post by antoninb111 »

Yup. NL has several bugs that are just getting worse as CPU & SSD speeds increase, and 64-bit becomes the norm (NL is still 32-bit). I left NL long ago, and now use Newsbin Pro. At least that app is kept current and is maintained.