installation of B16 and B9

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

elite

installation of B16 and B9

Post by elite »

Got a quick quesiton - I am currently using b9 and thought that the average response of b16 is that it is quite stable and now that they have brought in text posting back again - I thought I might take the plunge.

My question is this can I install beta 16 in a differetn directory to beta 9 and run both without any clashes? or will the registry mix up the two programs? I don't want ot run b9 but just to open it up so that I can see what I have queue (35GB) and to see which groups I have subscribed - so that I can slowly add them to my new b16? Coz I believe that b16 uses a totally differetn cache and dl method to b9.

:)

daphatty
Forum Moderator

Post by daphatty »

The simple answer to all of your quesitons is no. As you pointed out, B16 does use an entirely different header cache and download system than B9. The only settings that would carry over are your server settings, group lists, and (maybe) pending and saved transfer queues. So essentially, you would be starting from scratch.

As for multiple sessions of NL, that isn't possible either. I'm not sure if this will be implemented later but it has been requested by several other users.

elite

Post by elite »

so i have to uninstall b9 first? even thought I am planning to install B16 on another drive (b9 is on d: and I am thinking of putting b16 on c:)

?????

daphatty
Forum Moderator

Post by daphatty »

No you don't have to uninstall it. You can install it into a different folder but I can't guarantee that you won't have problems. Since I've never tried it myself I have no idea how NL would handle the registry in such a situation. (Maybe Spiril can comment on that?) Assuming it did work, you would only be able to run one instance at a time.

I'd recommend holding off though, elite. B16 has a few headache causing issues which will certainly make you uninstall it. If you still want to test this scenario out, I'd recommend using B15 for the time being. Otherwise, wait until B17 comes out.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

There will be no registry mess-up if you install 2 (or more) NewsLeecher versions into different directories. They wont be able to share the same data, such as cachedata, temp-file folder, etc, but they will be able to co-exist. NewsLeecher only uses the registry to associate the .NZB file extension. All other data is stored in datafiles on the harddisk.
daphatty wrote:I'd recommend holding off though, elite. B16 has a few headache causing issues which will certainly make you uninstall it. If you still want to test this scenario out, I'd recommend using B15 for the time being. Otherwise, wait until B17 comes out.
Beta 17 has just been released. Hope you have better luck with that daPhatty :)

daphatty
Forum Moderator

Post by daphatty »

Spiril wrote:
I was speaking for the masses when I said "headache causing" since so many people had issues. :P I can handle software bugs better than most. Thanks for the quick release though!

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

daphatty wrote:
Spiril wrote:
I was speaking for the masses when I said "headache causing" since so many people had issues. :P I can handle software bugs better than most. Thanks for the quick release though!
Yea, I know. beta 16 was pretty buggy hehe. Was in a hurry to get it released I guess. Beta 17 was also a bit hurried, but I hope it works better than beta 16 anyway.

Magic

Post by Magic »

I'll try B17 tonight!

elite

Post by elite »

i just installed b16 last night and found this morning b18 - ohhh well :-)

ANd yes it worked nicely wiht two different newsleechers running...