Newleecher causes system to reboot

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

sbe2000

Newleecher causes system to reboot

Post by sbe2000 »

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but when I run Newsleecher and download files it causes my system to reboot. There is no error message, the screen simply goes black and my computer spontaneously restarts. It also is not consistent in terms of time. It might take 5 minutes of downloading, or up to a couple of hours of downloading before it will restart.

It does not appear to be a temperature problem as the internal temp of my computer is steady throughout using Newsleecher.

It also does not happen unless I am running Newsleecher. I thought it might be the installation, so I uninstalled Newsleecher version 3.8Final and installed the latest beta version. Still reboots my system.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Scott

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

Try installing a new driver for your network card.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

sbe2000

Post by sbe2000 »

I am using the most recent version. I am using a wireless system, Netgear WPNT121 adapter and the router is Netgear WPNT834. Both are fully up to date.

Thanks
Scott

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

Do you have diskbased logging enabled? (options>advanced>logging)
Do the event-logs in Windows give any useful information?
Grtz RD

sbe2000

Post by sbe2000 »

No to diskbased logging, not enabled. Then I downloaded some stuff to cause a reboot so I could get the information that it wants to send to Microsoft so I could post it here, and it has not crashed again.

ACK!

Next time it causes a reboot, I will post whatever more I can find about it from the log and revive this thread. Until then, it does not appear there is much more we can do.

Thanks for all your assistance.

-Scott

sbe2000

Still a problem....

Post by sbe2000 »

Last night I left my system alone and went home for the night and this morning I find my computer has "recovered from a serious error." Sounds ominous.

In short, the system rebooted. This is the information I gathered from the logs that I know of....there maybe a lot more that I don't know about so lead me in the right direction if you need something else to help decifer this problem.

==========================

Technical Information about “serious error.”

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7099.dir00\Mini032507-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7099.dir00\sysdata.xml

MS Windows reporting (which seems to be useless).

Problem caused by Device Driver
You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.
More information

Problem report summary
Problem type Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
Solution available? No
What does this problem mean? Windows has encountered a problem it cannot recover from and it needs to be restarted
Cause Unknown
Computer symptoms A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)
Additional steps for you to take Please continue to send problem reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

sbe2000

Post by sbe2000 »

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks
Scott

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

You could try updating the drivers on your network card and your video card.
Grtz RD

sbe2000

Post by sbe2000 »

Already tried that.

Unfortunately, I am down to canceling Newsleecher and not using the software as a solution.

Not exactly happy with that solution.

Damn.

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

sbe2000 wrote:Anyone have any ideas on this?
Problem caused by Device Driver
This is your problem. You have a device driver installed that has a bug or issue with it. NL just happens to "find" the issue with the device driver probably because NL tends to stress certain components like network cards and disk drives more so than typical everyday software like email clients and word processing programs.

The dump report can be analyzed by certain crash dump analysis tools to tell you which device driver caused the problem. You can then update it and hopefully that will correct the problem.

techfuzz

sbe2000

Post by sbe2000 »

Great. I will need some basic assistance though. How do I find the dump report and go about analyzing it? I would love to fix the problem.

Can you walk me through the solution?

Thanks again.
Scott

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

The process can be quite time consuming, but if you're up for learning how there is a good writeup on Network World's site on how to do it. It will walk you through downloading the tools, installing, and analyzing the crash data.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2005/0 ... crash.html

techfuzz

BlizzardUK

Post by BlizzardUK »

I have the same problem and was going to post here. I woke up a moment ago to find it had shut down machine, and this is an often occurance. I can't be 100 percent it is Newsleecher, but it only seems to happen when running, it could be coincidence as I have NL running a lot of the time.

The most annoying thing is sometimes I have 50gb of material logged up and when it reboots all of the R&E files have vanished, so I have to manually drag and drop the PAR2 files back in. If there is any way the R&E section could be saved every time something new happens that would help a lot, as that is the biggest annoyance when my PC resets unexpectedly.

I will read this thread closely to see if it helps.

sbe2000

Post by sbe2000 »

techfuzz,

Thank you very much. I will read that site and see what I can find out.

-Scott