UNKNOWN COULD NOT EXTRACT RAR IN RAR

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

abraham32

Post by abraham32 »

SINCE I UPGRADEDE TO VERSION 5.0

I AM GETTING THIS MESSAGE EVERYTIME I DOWNLOAD AN ARTICLE

RAR IN RAR ARCHIVE COLLECTION DETECTED

THE REST OF THE ARTICLE COLLECTION HAS BEEN PAUSED IN DOWNLOAD QUEUE

ARCHIVE ENCRYPTED

CHECKED THE FORUMS NO ONE HAS A SOLUTION POSTED

FOR RAR IN RAR PROBLEM ONE SUGGESTION TO UNCHECK THE BOX AUTO PAUSE PAR 2 FILES IN SETTINGS UNDER LEECH TWEEKS

THAT SUGGESTION DID NOT HELP I FEEL I NEED TO BE CONSTANTLY WATCHING MY DOWNLOADS

WHAT DO I DO TO FIX THIS PROBLEM
NONE

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

Close. The setting is in the Leech Tweaks screen but it is not the auto pause par2 checkbox. That should (usually) remain checked on.

Further down that screen is the Rar-in-Rar setting. Change it to "Don't Check for RAR-in-RAR".
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

kkientz

Re: UNKNOWN COULD NOT EXTRACT RAR IN RAR

Post by kkientz »

Regarding the "Rar In Rar" "Potential Spam Detected".

I also receive this message a lot while downloading. I saw the fix to uncheck the box under settings to ignore the Rar in Rar files to continue the download but my concern is: is it known if it's a flaw within Newsleecher and to just uncheck the box or is it actual spam and/or a virus being detected and being downloaded?

Thanks-

Quaraxkad

Post by Quaraxkad »

kkientz wrote:I saw the fix to uncheck the box under settings to ignore the Rar in Rar files to continue the download but my concern is: is it known if it's a flaw within Newsleecher and to just uncheck the box or is it actual spam and/or a virus being detected and being downloaded?
The "fix" you refer to is not a fix, it simply disables this type of spam detection. As far as I know, there's no such bug that creates false positives. Leave it enabled. If you get a message about a rar-in-rar being detected, open the file yourself and look at it, there's going to be another rar inside, which is almost certain to be password protected and essentially unusable.

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

I have seen false positives on the RAR-in-RAR issue. Not actually a TECHNICAL false positive, but it's detecting legitimate posts containing harmless internal archives.

Sometimes it's just one tiny archive that only encompasses a few kilobytes of a multi-gig posting that triggers it... I'd probably like to see a way to detect a RAR-in-RAR where the internal RAR is estimated to be close to the full size of the posting? Or at least, make it easier to continue downloading suspected but approved SPAM - especially so that it doesn't keep detecting the same thing over and over again.