SSL is slower than non-SSL

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

Macback

Re: SSL is slower than non-SSL

Post by Macback »

Is there any newer beta version to test higher than nl80001.ufr3.exe ?

Thanks !

TomClancy

Post by TomClancy »

Definitely an issue with the NewsLeecher software, I guess with v7. It's not happening with Newsbin and it doesn't look like it's happening with NewsLeecher v8.

robena

Post by robena »

I'd REALLY like to have a functional beta of 8, sorry for shouting. :wink:
Robert

RainmakerRaw

Post by RainmakerRaw »

Any news on this? I used Newsleecher on my Windows boxes from way back when (almost the beginning). I recently reinstalled it after a spate of not having a Windows machine, and found this issue pretty annoying. I have a 220/20 connection and get better speeds on various other clients compared to NL. I actually signed up for a Ready to Go trial account with the intention to switch from Newshosting, since I figured if you guys were reselling Eweka then the extra $2 a month for NL and SS were worth it. Unfortunately the throughput on NL7 isn't close to that on Newsbin/AltBinz/NZBVortex making it a bit pointless for me.

I'm not finding it as bad as some on here (I tend to get 15-18MB/sec instead of my usual 25-26MB/sec), but it's still a bit of a show stopper. My PC has an FX8350 (8 core AMD Piledriver CPU), 16GB DDR3 RAM and a Samsung Evo 850 SSD, and is connected via an Intel Pro 1000 and cat6 ethernet so hardware isn't an issue.

robena

Post by robena »

It's been a long time since this first alpha V8 version, any info on a new version that would be usable?
Robert

scuba
Site Admin

Post by scuba »

robena wrote:It's been a long time since this first alpha V8 version, any info on a new version that would be usable?
yes very soon - we are close to a new release. It's tough to set a date because suddenly something tricky comes up and therefore it can cause delays.
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

tvr4ever

Post by tvr4ever »

Any news on version 8 yet ? SSL downloads are one third of what they should be here.

robena

Post by robena »

I switched to NZBGet, using Newsleecher to create NZBs when needed.

I was tired to wait I must say. I get now up to 800 Mbs instead of 240 with Newsleecher, and with a fraction of the disk load.

8 will come when it will, if ever, I'm happy at the moment.
Robert

scuba
Site Admin

Post by scuba »

tvr4ever wrote:Any news on version 8 yet ? SSL downloads are one third of what they should be here.
Yes we will provide an update on website within a days with info about release of version 8.
thanks,

winwiz

Post by winwiz »

That's odd, just open with the right mouse butten the speedlimit menu and you get 20-30% speed increase with SSL enabled.

scuba
Site Admin

Post by scuba »

scuba wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:30 am
tvr4ever wrote:Any news on version 8 yet ? SSL downloads are one third of what they should be here.
Yes we will provide an update on website within a days with info about release of version 8.
thanks,
Just a quick update to let you know that the first beta of NewsLeecher V8 will be out within the next week or two. Besides a completely rewritten leeching engine, that can dramatically improve the download performance for users with very fast Internet connections, NewsLeecher V8 also features an all new UI that is fully high-dpi compatible, so the UI is 100% crisp, even on 4K displays. Also lots of other changes and improvements coming up.

robena

Post by robena »

scuba wrote:
Just a quick update to let you know that the first beta of NewsLeecher V8 will be out within the next week or two. Besides a completely rewritten leeching engine, that can dramatically improve the download performance for users with very fast Internet connections, NewsLeecher V8 also features an all new UI that is fully high-dpi compatible, so the UI is 100% crisp, even on 4K displays. Also lots of other changes and improvements coming up.
I'm looking forward to it.
But you'll have to equal that to make me switch back:

Imageheberger image
Robert

scuba
Site Admin

Post by scuba »

robena wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 8:01 am
scuba wrote:
I'm looking forward to it.
But you'll have to equal that to make me switch back:

Imageheberger image

Yes Version 8 is fast ...but you should use whatever application you like most and fit your needs.

robena

Post by robena »

scuba wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:00 am
Yes Version 8 is fast ...but you should use whatever application you like most and fit your needs.
Hi scuba,

Newsleecher is by a wide margin the best app in terms of GUI and usability. Kudos to the developers, every other Usenet client looks clumsy in comparison. Its only drawback is (was?) speed.

It's been a while since you announced V8 for next week, what happened?
Robert

HeppyTitus

Post by HeppyTitus »

@robena. I was having speed issues, only getting 24MB/s. Just read your posts and now have nzbget and am hitting over 90MB/s!!!

Many thanks mate, have a virtual beer, or 2, on me ;)