SSL is slower than non-SSL

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

Spiril
Site Admin

Re: SSL is slower than non-SSL

Post by Spiril »

We are currently looking into this. Hopefully we'll, very soon, be able to post an unofficial test version that fixes the speed issues.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

robena

Post by robena »

Great, thanks in advance.
Robert

warlockv2

Post by warlockv2 »

good, i absolutely HATE other clients, but i need my speed.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

I've just done some testing where I compared the V5.0 final / V7.0 final download speeds, and the difference was very small. So the problem can't be fixed easily unfortunately, as it's a fundamental limitation, due to the way I implemented the leeching engine a long time ago, when 10 Mpbs download speed seemed crazy fast. I didn't optimize it for 200 Mpbs+ speed back then.

It's not a major problem though, because I'm almost done implementing a completely new leeching engine for NewsLeecher V8. With that in place, downloading should be as fast ( or faster ) with NewsLeecher as it is with any other Usenet client.

I'll post an unofficial test release in this forum thread when it's ready :)
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

warlockv2

Post by warlockv2 »

awesome, and great job listening to community outcry, it looks good. also my speeds have actually gotten worse since, how odd. down to 2mb with ssl now, interesting. also. iv tested many versions of newsleecher and they all are producing the same speeds. this is a very odd issue. hopefully your idea works!

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

warlockv2 wrote:also my speeds have actually gotten worse since, how odd. down to 2mb with ssl now
Hmm, with such a low speed, I don't think it's due to NewsLeecher. The bottleneck in the "old" V7 download engine isn't triggered unless you leech with 150 Mbps or more.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

I have just uploaded an unofficial forum release of NewsLeecher V8 with the new improved download engine in place.

Warning : This is a pre-beta release so it still contains lot of bugs.

https://www.newsleecher.com/nl80001.ufr1.exe

From the version history regarding the new download engine :

+: The NewsLeecher leeching / download engine has been totally
   rebuilt, to provide the best possible performance, in regards
   to speed and smoothness. On an average computer, older versions of
   NewsLeecher would hit a performance bottleneck, when leeching with
   ~150 Mbps or more. With the new engine in place, the performance
   bottleneck is at a *much* higher level. We were able to test the
   new engine on an average 1 CPU / 4-core laptop hookde up to a 500
   Mbps connection, and didn't notice any slowdowns.
+: Implemented a setting for changing the maximum number of decoder
   threads that the new NewsLeecher leeching engine is allowed to
   use simultaneously. The settings can be accessed from :
   Settings -> Adv. Settings -> Threads Article Decoder
   The default setting automatically sets the thread number, based
   on the number of CPU cores available, so changing the setting
   is not necessary under normal circumstances.

If you use NewsLeecher with a very fast internet connection, pls let me know if you see speed improvements with this test release :)

robena

Post by robena »

Thanks a lot.

First glance:

- Flat design. What the hell?? It's not because Microsoft developers have gone blind that ISV must follow suit. It's awful!!

- I use a high dpi screen (2560x1600) which requires 135% magnifying. With these settings, everything it too big within Newsleecher, and some text is cropped in the UI. Is there a way to get smaller fonts? I'm probably blinded by the ugly flat design, I could not find it. :)
Disabling the scalling in the Windows compatibility property makes it worst.

- Speed: I can't test for now, I'll try it asap and get back.

Thanks for your efforts!
Robert

robena

Post by robena »

I tried a download and got "Error saving to disk Unable to open temp file."
Robert

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

The UI is a work-in-progress at this stage. I plan on implementing a custom icon skinning system later on. Personally I like the flat vector based gfx style. Also vector based graphics isn't just a random gfx trend. It's really the best way to go, to make UIs scale properly on high DPI displays. Bitmap gfx ( as used in NL 7 ) is really bad at that job.

Scaling isn't enabled in NewsLeecher 8 yet though, but most probably will be for the first official beta.

... anyway, this thread isn't about the UI ;)

I have just uploaded a new test release. If this test still triggers an error when downloading, the error message should be more detailed now. Pls let me know what it says, so I can get a pointer to where the problem is.

https://www.newsleecher.com/nl80001.ufr2.exe

And thanks for testing!

robena

Post by robena »

Spiril wrote:The UI is a work-in-progress at this stage. I plan on implementing a custom icon skinning system later on. Personally I like the flat vector based gfx style. Also vector based graphics isn't just a random gfx trend. It's really the best way to go, to make UIs scale properly on high DPI displays. Bitmap gfx ( as used in NL 7 ) is really bad at that job.
Best scaling is an argument often touted for Windows 10, but I find it's the other way around: on Windows 7, either stuff scales nicely or not at all.

On W10, it's a nightmare, even Microsoft own Computer Management Console is fuzzy at 135%.

Scaling isn't enabled in NewsLeecher 8 yet though, but most probably will be for the first official beta.
Fair enough!
... anyway, this thread isn't about the UI ;)
Indeed, but initial feedback can steer you in the good way. :)
I have just uploaded a new test release. If this test still triggers an error when downloading, the error message should be more detailed now. Pls let me know what it says, so I can get a pointer to where the problem is.

https://www.newsleecher.com/nl80001.ufr2.exe
That says:

And thanks for testing!
Thanks for making it possible!
Robert

warlockv2

Post by warlockv2 »

so, im geting saving to disc errors to, BUT, speeds are very fast, and the application is running very smooth. whatever you did fixed something.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Warlockv2,

It is the same "unable to open temp file" error ?

warlockv2

Post by warlockv2 »

it was, but now it stopped, i seem to have changed my default directory and it worked, i downloaded a few test articles without any issues going absolutely top speed. this is NOT to say there is no issue with the error, it just stopped for me at this time. Thanks for your help so far

robena

Post by robena »

Following the previous post advice, I changed the default download directory, and that cleared the bug, even when going back to the first directory.

I'm getting the following speeds, depending on the drive I download to:

- Regular 2TB drive, rated by CrystalDiskMark at 172MB/S write speed: 250 Mb/s

- Very fast RAID rated at 500 MB/S write speed: 520 Mb/s

- SSD rated at 480MB/S write speed: 560 Mb/s

Speedtest giving me 920 Mb/s download speed, I get the feeling from these numbers that the bottleneck is 30 threads trying to write at the same time on the drive.

I am of course already more than happy with 520 Mb/s instead of 200, but maybe there is a way to cache the 30 threads output and have only one concurrent access to the drive? Not anybody has a RAID system that's excellent at concurrent accesses, and using an SSD for high volume download is not recommended!

Anyway, kudos.
Robert