New here need help with my server name.

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

mclemore102

New here need help with my server name.

Post by mclemore102 » Tue May 31, 2005 3:40 am

I just joined and have read some of the help sections.But i still can't log in in keeps coming up with a error messege 205.On sever address i enter my ip address right? And on nick name what do i enter? I have norton internet security but have it disabled thinking this might be the problem.I have charter cable internet if that helps.Thanks!

joe_momma

Post by joe_momma » Tue May 31, 2005 3:49 am

for server you should enter something like news.giganews.com OR news.newshosting.com

Lips
Forum Moderator

Re: New here need help with my server name.

Post by Lips » Tue May 31, 2005 2:12 pm

mclemore102 wrote:On sever address i enter my ip address right? And on nick name what do i enter? I have norton internet security but have it disabled thinking this might be the problem.I have charter cable internet if that helps.Thanks!
For the server name, enter the name of the newsserver, which in your case would be the server for Charter Cable (if they have one). Try news.charter.net. If that's not it, contact Charter for the name of the server.
The server nickname is whatever you want to call the server (for ex, "Charter" (without the quotes)). Also, check with Charter for any download and speed limits that might be in place on the newsserver.

You might also be interested in some tutorials listed here that will help you get started with NewsLeecher and binaries Usenet.

Edit: mclemore102, Norton IS has been know to cause problems with NewsLeecher.

--
Lips

Destroyer

Re: New here need help with my server name.

Post by Destroyer » Tue May 31, 2005 2:43 pm

mclemore102 wrote:I just joined and have read some of the help sections.But i still can't log in in keeps coming up with a error messege 205.On sever address i enter my ip address right? And on nick name what do i enter? I have norton internet security but have it disabled thinking this might be the problem.I have charter cable internet if that helps.Thanks!
You dont enter your IP addy. You enter the news address which you have subscribed to (assuming you have) or your isp might have on. Nickname doesent matter.

mclemore102

Post by mclemore102 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:55 am

Ok i called charter and the said it was nntp.charter.net. but it still won't connect.this is the message i get on the log 6/2/2005 7:55:06 PM Resetting hanging (61 seconds of inactivity) connection on the "charter.net" server.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:36 am

mclemore102 wrote:Ok i called charter and the said it was nntp.charter.net. but it still won't connect.this is the message i get on the log 6/2/2005 7:55:06 PM Resetting hanging (61 seconds of inactivity) connection on the "charter.net" server.
It looks like you were connected to the server. In order to reset the hanging connection there had to be a connection in the first place.
Were you able to successfully download anything? Was NL able to reconnect? There are no authentication errors or other server errors shown.
Disable NIS and see if this helps. If so, restart NIS and disable the parental controls.

--
Lips