Header Compression (not giganews related)

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
asmithz

Header Compression (not giganews related)

Post by asmithz »

http://helpdesk.astraweb.com/index.php? ... d=47&nav=0

They just added compression of their headers, but only Newsbin. Well Newsbin sucks, and newsleecher rocks, so I was wondering if we can get the same option in newsleecher?

sheepshagger

Post by sheepshagger »

they have had compression of headers for awhile it just wasnt made public

asmithz

Post by asmithz »

Hi Kyle,

The header compression we implemented is at the server level. It is simply a new NNTP command that is similar to XOVER, but named XZVER. XOVER is issued by news readers when they want to download headers. Likewise, XZVER will need to be used instead if news readers want to download compressed headers.

Newsbin just happens to be the first to implement XZVER. Newsleecher (or any other news reader) will also have to implement XZVER in order to use compressed headers.

We will publish the specifications for XZVER so that news reader authors can implement if they wish.

As a Newsleecher user, please ask the author to implement this feature. It is relatively simple to implement and will be a useful addition for our members.

Keep an eye on the latest news. We'll make an announcement soon.

Cheers.

Steve.
This is astraweb said when I asked them, so all we need to do is have an option for XZVER.

sdimenzion

Post by sdimenzion »

I would like to see this implemented, too.

Astraweb just posted the specifications for implementing header compression for news reader authors.

Check it out: http://helpdesk.astraweb.com/index.php? ... s&newsid=9

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Ah, that header compression command is long overdue. Nice to see NNTP server developers are finally implementing it.

I'll make NewsLeecher support it in one of the upcoming releases.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

asmithz

Post by asmithz »

Spiril wrote:Ah, that header compression command is long overdue. Nice to see NNTP server developers are finally implementing it.

Ah man Spiril you made my day. Thanks for taking the time to look at this thread, responding, and actually doing it. I really appreciate it. :)

pzam

XZHDR and XZVER compressed headers faster dl

Post by pzam »

Can you turn this on or add this it is supposed to be easy.

I really hate that other news program that does have it and prefer to use this one but as i seem to have crashed and lost all my headers and have to dl them all again it will take 2 or 3 days at this speed of my slow connection.

i tried loading the old data but the program just kept crashing this b3 must need fixed.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

Spiril has said it will be in an upcoming release.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

pzam

Newzbin vs Newsleacher 395b3 headers on astraweb.

Post by pzam »

Well I just tried their program with the header compression on
and tried newsleecher on astraweb and newsleecher was faster on headers.

That newsbin was so hard to set up I had a awful time trying to add a server to it. It was not very easy to figure out the que's on it either.
newsleecher with giga accelerator is fast. I hope they get the astraweb support going soon.
Last edited by pzam on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tommo123

Post by tommo123 »

i just moved to astraweb from GN and found this thread.

is there any kind of ETA for when this compression will be supported?

i have GN upto early feb so can use their accelerator until then at least.

pzam

My idea on headers to keep thing going smooth

Post by pzam »

I tend to set up just 2 channels for headers or how ever many you can run at same time to use the full bandwith if you were to not be downloading articles and just headers.

for me 2 channels seems to work good and I set 14 for articles or so.

that leaves 4 that i put on another news program to get missing parts from other severs to browse or get missing parts.

10 channels seems to keep slow cable connection going ok. I put the 4 extra on they seem to help on slow times.

I set up astra web as the main download
i get super news for headers and set download off on it. only use it on missing parts.

If you only download back to about 155 days this works great till astra gets upgraded.

I have had lots less problems since I went this way.

dwm4444

Post by dwm4444 »

Newsbin Pro's implementation of Astraweb header acceleration is working fine for me. It's making my header downloads 10 times faster, about the same as I get from Giganews' accelerator.

Newsbin just released the new version 5.50 yesterday. Until then, in order to get the acceleration, you had to be using the version 5.5, beta 7 or above. The betas were only accessible to registered users, so there was no way for me to test it before then (I'm now on day 2 of my 10-day free trial). Note that you'll have to enable "Header compression XZVER support" in the server configuration to get acceleration to work.

I imagine that a lot of people will be jumping ship from Giganews to Astra in the near future. I've been with Giga for years, but now that I can get an unlimited connection with long retention, SSL, and header acceleration from Astraweb for $11/month versus $30/month for Giganews, it's goodbye Giganews for me.

Anyway, I didn't post to advertise for Newsbin. I prefer NewsLeecher, and am looking forward to the planned XZVER support. I think it would attract a lot of new Astraweb users to the NewsLeecher fold, and will motivate people with expired NewsLeecher licenses (like me), to renew.

And a big thanks to Spiril for his willingness to support this feature.

B-Fix

Post by B-Fix »

tommo123 wrote:i just moved to astraweb from GN and found this thread.

is there any kind of ETA for when this compression will be supported?

i have GN upto early feb so can use their accelerator until then at least.
I second that question...

Given that it's been a while since we have seen a beta, lets hope that header compression will be available in the next 3.95 beta.

Antioch

Post by Antioch »

Spiril wrote:Ah, that header compression command is long overdue. Nice to see NNTP server developers are finally implementing it.

Thank you! I eagerly await this functionality in (hopefully) the next beta! :)

zrubavel

Is this implemented in the latest beta?

Post by zrubavel »

Is XZVER support implemented in the latest version (even beta)?
If yes, how to enable it?