why not suggest what 80% want?

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
jimh54

why not suggest what 80% want?

Post by jimh54 »

You do not have the ability to set up want filters or download filters or whatever you call them listed. In the thread to vote on this option 80% of us want that feature. If this were implemented then a good newsgroup reader/downloader would become the best available.

I stopped paying for newsleecher at version 3.9 and switched to newsbin for this reason and the one time price.

Why do you bother to post a poll if you do not intend to pay attention to your user's requests? It appears that this has been requested for many years.

tommo123

Post by tommo123 »

i would love a "series link" type feature or whatever you want to call it as you said.

would be great to wake up in the morning and have certain things downloaded and ready for me when i get up

HappyUser

Yes! Advanced download filters please

Post by HappyUser »

I do not see this anywhere on the roadmap or the wish lists above. Even though there are several similar requests visible even on the first page. At least the ability to apply filters to already downloaded headers is something you are looking into. Thanks you very much for that.

Please add advanced filtering methods for downloads. For me, that would be subject filters that can contain more than one word and wildcards (regular expressions and the simple DOS type.)

Also please publish a howto on download filters, I am sure I am missing features there because they are nowhere described.

NotScouser

Post by NotScouser »

The amount of spam originating from cambriumusenet.nl is ruining many newgroups. If newsleecher does not soon incorporate header/Path/Subject filtering then I'm gonna stop using it. This particular spam has an entirely uniform subject as well; the subject *always* ends with .jpg[nnnn] or .jpg[nnnnn]. I want a way to filter crap like this out using pattern matching.

I spoke to giganews about it; they are unable to filter it since the spam has unique subjects and valid headers.

NotScouser

Post by NotScouser »

Another approach might be to designate a group as a spam trap. Download headers for the spamtrap first. Then download headers for the group you are interested. If subjects in this group match a spamtrap header (or match 80%) then exclude them. By 80% I mean tokenise the subjects; if the first 4 or 5 tokens match a spamtrap subject then exclude. Yes, I know this will be compute intensive but something has to be done!