Option to keep downloaded in list

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
katerstaart
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:33 am

Post by katerstaart » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:38 am

Spiril wrote:No probs! :)

Must admit it's a really needed feature in NL...
One more question Spiril: it might be a good idea to make partially failed downloads requeue again so that NL will simply keep trying until eveything's there!! This way NZB's will finally be a true solution even when a poster is still uploading... What do the others think about this?

User avatar
SusiBiker
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:14 am
Contact:

Post by SusiBiker » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:10 am

katerstaart wrote:One more question Spiril: it might be a good idea to make partially failed downloads requeue again...
... What do the others think about this?
Sounds like a good idea to me. It'll need some sort of smart-retry limit so that files that never complete from a post are not retried forever. I'm sure it's possible and it's certainly a desirable option. Nice one.

User avatar
MicroMij
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:58 am
Location: a galaxy far far away

Post by MicroMij » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:12 am

Spiril wrote:No probs! :)

Must admit it's a really needed feature in NL...
W00T!! glad you agree.

and thanx for the reply!

dwazegek
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3006
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:36 am

Post by dwazegek » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:29 pm

SusiBiker wrote:
katerstaart wrote:One more question Spiril: it might be a good idea to make partially failed downloads requeue again...
... What do the others think about this?
Sounds like a good idea to me. It'll need some sort of smart-retry limit so that files that never complete from a post are not retried forever. I'm sure it's possible and it's certainly a desirable option. Nice one.
just include two options in the context menu, force decode and retry missing articles.
and/or (and would be best) create a few user defined options;
the number of attempts(if 0 it will be attempted infinitely)
time between retries
also put automatic retries in the bottom of the queue. manual retries should be requeued based on their position in the queue)
Forum's Grammar Nazi:
I will hunt you down if you don't lose the extra o.

Lips
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3804
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:57 pm

Post by Lips » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:36 am

katerstaart wrote:One more question Spiril: it might be a good idea to make partially failed downloads requeue again so that NL will simply keep trying until eveything's there!! This way NZB's will finally be a true solution even when a poster is still uploading... What do the others think about this?
dwazegek wrote:
SusiBiker wrote:
katerstaart wrote:One more question Spiril: it might be a good idea to make partially failed downloads requeue again...
... What do the others think about this?
Sounds like a good idea to me. It'll need some sort of smart-retry limit so that files that never complete from a post are not retried forever. I'm sure it's possible and it's certainly a desirable option. Nice one.
just include two options in the context menu, force decode and retry missing articles.
and/or (and would be best) create a few user defined options;
the number of attempts(if 0 it will be attempted infinitely)
time between retries
also put automatic retries in the bottom of the queue. manual retries should be requeued based on their position in the queue)
All this is great. Now.....
Spiril, please don't forget about the incomplete m-p posts where the headers are actually obtained from header downloads. All of this is fine for nzbs, but it sure would be cool if you would add the ability to make complete (fill) the incomplete m-p posts that did not have the headers obtained from nzbs. Since the nzb contains all of the mids, the queue is fine. But, what of the other incompletes?
Will this ability to dl incomplete m-p posts and later add newly arrived segs to these already dl'd segs (fill the incomplete posts) ever be added to NL? This is also a much needed and very much missing feature in NL.

--
Lips

Lips
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3804
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:57 pm

Post by Lips » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:20 am

SusiBiker wrote:I HATE bloody text forums - no matter how many damn smileys you use, or however you try to put things, you can never quite get your point over without offending someone.
I wasn't in the slightest upset, silly. ;)
I wasn't even having a dig back. Honest. (Hint: It's not subtle when I get upset. :D )
Well, Ok then. I am glad that weren't offended.
Susi, you did not offend me at all. I simply thought that you were offended.
Hey, and if I was trying to be offensive it probably wouldn't be subtle. :D
SusiBiker wrote:I was replying to your pondering on why NL is compared to NBP and trying not to get my ear bitten off (by others) for being heretical.
For years NBP has been considered the market leader, rightly or wrongly, and it does still have the odd advantage over NL, I just did not want to get flamed for daring to say so.
Well, when I made my statement I thought I might get flamed even though there is nothing there to get flamed about. Your saying that NBP has the odd advantage of NL is not an invalid statement. If you get flamed, who cares. I doubt they would be able to give validity to the flames.
All I'm saying is that there are better clients (with lots of features) to which to compare NL (And sometimes I dislike saying IMO. Of course this is my opinion.). Yes, I realize that NBP has some good features. I just believe others, including NL are much better. Oh great, here come the flames in the NBP forum.
Of course, what works best for me may not be best for someone else.
For me it's a question of the right tool for the right job.
SusiBiker wrote:My post as I said, was an attempt to get my thoughts across and fend off the IDIOTS that you get who are sooooo blinkered that their way is the right way.
On other one-product boards I have been vilified for not toeing the "all-hail the conquering all-powerful product" line. That's why I've always made a point of saying I love NL in trying to fend off such comments. The truth is, I do love NL: I *only* use NBP now for partial downloads.
Yay, verily, I have seen the light.
Oh no, don't get me started on the incomplete dl's stuff.
SusiBiker wrote:There is a lot that still irritates me about NL, and in the early days it really did suck (sorry Spiril, but that's early betas for you. ;) ), I just wanted to get my point over without getting hounded out of town for saying that NL is great, but has a little bit to go before I personally can say, "It's the best!"
<snip>
Sorry my (new) friend. Peace on Earth, and all that stuff? :)
All understood. Nothing to be sorry about.
Okay, enough of this. I'm sure someone will chime in here calling for a group (forum) hug.

Later, my friend. And, Peace.

--
Lips

User avatar
SusiBiker
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:14 am
Contact:

Post by SusiBiker » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:47 pm

{{{{HUG}}}}

ROFLMAO 8)

Lips
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3804
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:57 pm

Post by Lips » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:47 pm

SusiBiker wrote:{{{{HUG}}}}

ROFLMAO 8)
I told you. :lol:

Later.

--
Lips

Locked