Video Preview

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
unmake

Video Preview

Post by unmake »

It'd be nice if I could download, say, 25% of a multi-segment binary, and then send that partial file to a media player (Media Player Classic handles broken videos nicely).

It'd also be neat if you could do a similar thing for larger videos packaged as a set of RARs: download the first third, extract that portion of the archived video, send it to a player. (depending on bandwidth, the rest of the files would be finished about the time you got to the end of the broken file).

This could probably be done via scripting if NewsLeecher supported any kind of postprocessing or something along those lines..

Anyway, that's my neat-o suggestion :)

thornside

Post by thornside »

I agree. I've been using Newshark for awhile and one of t best features of it is the ability to preview mpg's or mp3's. I've just downloaded v1.0 beta 22 and the only thing that is stopping me from making it my main reader(and buying it!) is this functionality. I would love to see a preview function!!

mudone11

Post by mudone11 »

Don't you all think this goes a little bit beond the function of a newsdownloader. At least there are a lot more things more important to be implemented first.

Fedorov

Post by Fedorov »

Nah, let's just add a Firewall and AntiVirus to Newsleecher next shall we? :(

Seriously though I think this should be last on the wishlist - NL is awesome at what it does already, yes this feature might be useful to a few people but it shouldn't stop you buying Newsleecher now you've seen how good it is! :)

Fedorov.

Magic

Post by Magic »

bad idea!
Back in business!

thornside

Post by thornside »

Why would it be a bad idea?

elite

Post by elite »

this would only be useful for a small portion of users - since the bulk of groups uses rar and such to compress the files -

I guess it is a good idea but i think it is low on the priority scale..

DevilsRejection

Post by DevilsRejection »

bad idea, what makes u think everyone uses usenet for video?

thornside

Post by thornside »

DevilsRejection wrote:bad idea, what makes u think everyone uses usenet for video?
I don't use half of the features of Newsleecher but that doesn't mean that they are a bad idea. This feature would also apply to MP3's. That way you're able to see what bit rate the music is encoded in. You are able to view mpg's or listen to MP3's even if you only have a portion of the file unlike AVI's so I don't know that it would be that difficult. Of course, I'm not a programmer.

It probably should be listed as a partial file preview option on the wishlist to be more exact.

Magic

Post by Magic »

all this would be a big CPU hog I guess?

Most MP3s have the bitrate in the subject or in an nfo file. And most people that post MP3s have ADSL (or better) anyway so they'll encode with 192 at least.

I know I do.... ;)
Back in business!

daphatty
Forum Moderator

Post by daphatty »

Well if the scripting support works out, you guys could make this for yourselves.

thornside

Post by thornside »

I agree that the info should be posted in the nfo...if it's posted. Of course that's an entirely different issue and pet peeve. I've downloaded enough PAL movies without knowing it.

CPU hog? Perhaps. I'm not a programmer so I wouldn't know.

Anyway, I really like Newsleecher as it is but since this was a wishlist...