Downloading Files into Renamed Group Folders.

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
cobravap

Downloading Files into Renamed Group Folders.

Post by cobravap »

Hi, i am using Version 3.0 beta 7. Now i have renamed some of my newsgroups that i subscribe to, and i have also checked the option to put downloads in their own folders. But the thing is when the files get dled they get put in folders with the original newsgroup named folder. I was wondering if you can implement downloads to go into folders which corespond with the group names i have given them into the next beta?

Thanks
Cobravap

Ken

Post by Ken »

LOL ...... I won't ask why you would want to rename the groups :wink:, I suggest you use leech/specify or leech/active in future.

edit: As NewsLeecher gives you the option to change the group name I suppose it would make sense for it to also change the download folder name accordingly.
Last edited by Ken on Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Ken

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

Do you mean you have created Virtual Groups and you want to downloads to go to folders named for the virtual group name?? I'm just trying to understand your request.

techfuzz

Lips
Forum Moderator

Re: Downloading Files into Renamed Group Folders.

Post by Lips »

cobravap wrote:Now i have renamed some of my newsgroups that i subscribe to, and i have also checked the option to put downloads in their own folders. But the thing is when the files get dled they get put in folders with the original newsgroup named folder. I was wondering if you can implement downloads to go into folders which corespond with the group names i have given them into the next beta?
I have thought of asking for this option, but decided to wait to see if the ability to specify the download directory at the group and virtual group levels gets added into NL soon. While this feature would be my preference, I agree that it does make sense for the directories to correspond to the newsgroup names (at least include an option to enable/disable the ability). This would include the short newsgroup names.

--
Lips

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

techfuzz wrote:Do you mean you have created Virtual Groups and you want to downloads to go to folders named for the virtual group name?? I'm just trying to understand your request.

techfuzz

No. You can rename a single Usenet group but the problem is that NL still creates and saves into the directory based on the original group name.

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

Smudge wrote:
techfuzz wrote:Do you mean you have created Virtual Groups and you want to downloads to go to folders named for the virtual group name?? I'm just trying to understand your request.

techfuzz

No. You can rename a single Usenet group but the problem is that NL still creates and saves into the directory based on the original group name.
Both are valid requests though :) I would think that some people would like to have directories created and all the files downloaded to the directory named for their virtual groups.

techfuzz

FuzzyDog

Post by FuzzyDog »

I would also like the "leech smart" to be able to put all leeched files from virtual group "X" into a folder named "X". I think that compliments the purpose behind virtual groups well. Many times, you are combining groups because they all contain similar files. After "leech smarting" a large amount of files in a virtual group, I have no idea where they all went as I'm not paying attention to the individual groups anymore and have to search through all the single group folders, sometimes even forgetting about some files. You can always use "leech specify" but this slows down the process quite a bit.

Perhaps adding an option to have leech smart save to the individual folder groups or to a new folder named the same as the virtual group? If this is already in the plan, my apologies for missing the post.

AlexLS

Post by AlexLS »

techfuzz
Well this would be a great change, TBH, and I'd like to request it if nobody else has.

Scuttle

Post by Scuttle »

I would like to bumb this request and add a note of urgency...

If you combine several similar groups into one virtual group articles are sometimes crossposted.
Sometimes a large post contains of several parts. When these parts are marked for download they are sometimes marged from different groups

I.e, you download parts 1, 3 and 4 from alt.binaries.beets, part 2 from alt.binaries.produce and parts 5 through 8 from alt.binaries.farmers-market

Now, since Newsleecher separates all these into different subfolders it becomes a real chore to hunt down all the parts...

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

If you select them all at once and use Leech Specify or Leech Smart to download them it will not put them in different group folders. It will 'only' do this if you use an option like Leech or Leech Paused
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

Scuttle

Post by Scuttle »

Once again, new beta and I'm trying to call attention to this, long asked for, feature to be added...

Scuttle

Post by Scuttle »

Let's see how many new versions we can go through before this fairly minute detail is added. Making dramatic overhauls to the user-interface seems to have higher priority so it might take a while...

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

I think it will be implemented, but I have no idea how long it will take.
Grtz RD

griek1

Post by griek1 »

I second this request.

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

Well, it seems like this one will be implemented in the next beta.
Grtz RD