Deletes extracted files

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
fastrthnu

Deletes extracted files

Post by fastrthnu » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:54 pm

For the most part, RnE has been working for me, but I did just download a full album of MP3s (with PARs), and it ended up deleting all the mp3s and put them in the recycle bin.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon, would hate to see this happen with something that took hours to DL.

Otherwise, with RARs it's been working great.

Hecks

Post by Hecks » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:44 am

The solution is here:

viewtopic.php?t=12628

-Hecks

Andre

Post by Andre » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:52 pm

Not sure if the referred bug-list posting actually covers what's happening here or not? It just happened to me too - and with 10GB of files, so the Recycle Bin did not catch 'em all :(

This morning, I finished downloading a batch of .TS video files which I'd queued along with some PAR2s which the system auto-paused (I used Control-Y Leech mode, in case it makes any difference).

NL downloaded all the main files fine, then unpaused some necessary PAR2s and repaired a few damaged files as it should do. There was then nothing else for it to do (these were not RAR files, so the job was now complete) so NL should have just finished - but instead it deleted the whole lot (the PAR2s and the 10GB of correctly downloaded & repaired .TS files!). Would selecting a different extract directory have made any difference when there is actually nothing to extract?

Andre

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:44 pm

Bug #2 on the list is the one that is causing your problem. Until it is fixed, it is recommended to leave the files. You can manually delete the archive files yourself.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Hecks

Post by Hecks » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:34 pm

Andre wrote:Not sure if the referred bug-list posting actually covers what's happening here or not? It just happened to me too - and with 10GB of files, so the Recycle Bin did not catch 'em all :(

This morning, I finished downloading a batch of .TS video files which I'd queued along with some PAR2s which the system auto-paused (I used Control-Y Leech mode, in case it makes any difference).

NL downloaded all the main files fine, then unpaused some necessary PAR2s and repaired a few damaged files as it should do. There was then nothing else for it to do (these were not RAR files, so the job was now complete) so NL should have just finished - but instead it deleted the whole lot (the PAR2s and the 10GB of correctly downloaded & repaired .TS files!). Would selecting a different extract directory have made any difference when there is actually nothing to extract?

Andre
So far, this behaviour has only been reported when the download and extract folders are set to be the same. It's never happened to me when not (but I don't download .ts files :)).

-Hecks

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:13 am

perhaps why I haven't had the problem myself either as I have it set to extract to a subdirectory.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Andre

Post by Andre » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:47 am

I'll do some tests if I can find some small groups of non-archived files which also have PAR2s - but as there is no extraction process taking place at all, I can't see how setting to extract to a subdirectory will make any difference?

Andre

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:11 am

Andre wrote:I'll do some tests if I can find some small groups of non-archived files which also have PAR2s - but as there is no extraction process taking place at all, I can't see how setting to extract to a subdirectory will make any difference?
Non-extractable files are moved to the extraction dir (or at least they're supposed to; it's still a bit buggy). So, after the download, newsleecher copies the files from the download dir to the extract dir and deletes the files in the download dir. If the download dir is the same as the extract dir, it tries to copy the files, thinks it has succeeded and then deletes the files.
Forum's Grammar Nazi:
I will hunt you down if you don't lose the extra o.

Andre

Post by Andre » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:14 pm

Ah, I see. A bit confusing in the options wording there, I rather assumed that the extraction directory was only used for... well, extracting! :lol:

I've checked with some MP3 files with PAR2s, and results are about as expected given the above:

1) "Use same directory" mode: the MP3 files are repaired, then everything is deleted - oops.
2) "Extract to specified directory" mode: the MP3 files are repaired and then moved to the specified extraction directory and deleted from the originally requested download directory.
3) "Extract to sub-folder in download directory" mode: the MP3 files are repaired but then NL goes into an infinte loop creating multiple sub-folders within the download directory (each new folder used a time-stamp in its folder name of one second later than the previous folder). I exited NL to stop it. This is another known bug I believe (although I was nowhere near the 256 character path limit, the folder was one down from root).

So at present the only temporary work-around appears to be to use the Specified Extraction Folder method, which is obviously a bit of a pain as I always use the "Control-Y" (Leech Specify) mode to ensure that each group of downloaded files is saved to the right folder - such as a separate folder for each TV series that I watch - and the work-around would force everything to be saved into the same folder regardless of where I told NL to store it. For now, I think turning the auto-delete mode off altogether is a much better idea! :-)

Andre

Hecks

Post by Hecks » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:10 pm

I've never seen the behaviour described by you in 3 (perhaps you should uncheck the timestamp option), but the others have been reported many times.

As for the rest, naming extract folders after download folders is on the request list, this would work well with Leech > Specify, I think (like AutoUnpack's 'Reconstruct source sub-folder at destination' option).

For now, I just extract everything to the root of my destination drive, then run a hotkeyed batch (takes <2 secs):

@echo off
move /y "E:\*series1*.avi" "E:\Series1\"
move /y "E:\*series1*.nfo" "E:\Series1\"
move /y "E:\*series2*.avi" "E:\Series2\"
move /y "E:\*series2*.nfo" "E:\Series2\"

etc.

-Hecks

Andre

Post by Andre » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:33 pm

Thanks for your help again. I guess there are batchfile workarounds for all sorts of issues, but I'd just prefer them to be fixed elegantly in the main program rather than needing to hack my way to a solution. :)

Andre

Lord Crc

Post by Lord Crc » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:22 pm

It also seems to refuse to handle two par files with same name but which describe different par sets. I had to rename them and then import them to get it working.

max2

Post by max2 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:21 am

Lord Crc wrote:It also seems to refuse to handle two par files with same name but which describe different par sets. I had to rename them and then import them to get it working.
We do this on purpose so it does that! :D

Berrificus

Already Set Download Directories

Post by Berrificus » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:04 pm

Yeah, after all I've already setup all my Virtual Group download directories so that all I have to do is a CTRL-D and it automatically puts Television shows, Applications, Audio, Books, etc in the proper directories.

Everything works great. The only thing that would have to be set is another R'n'E option underneath 'After Successful Extract' that says 'When There's Nothing To Extract' and have a choice that allows the deletion of the Repair files.

That way there's maximum flexibility with minimum added overhead. Spiril and everyone else have done such a great job, I'd hate to see some convoluted approach which would make the software more difficult to use.