New Beta version causes alarm Virusscanner

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Bigrabbit

New Beta version causes alarm Virusscanner

Post by Bigrabbit »

Just installed Betaversion 3.95, but McAfee deleted file is-MTEIU.tmp. Detected virus: New Poly Win32. Status: file deleted (Clean failed because the detection isn't cleanable)

Conflict caused by NL or McAfee ?
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise ver 8.5i
Scan Engine Version (32-bit): 5300.2777
DAT Version: 5391.0000

DariusIII

Post by DariusIII »

False positive.Please use search as this has been posted several times already.

BeatBuster

Re: New Beta version causes alarm Virusscanner

Post by BeatBuster »

Bigrabbit wrote:Just installed Betaversion 3.95, but McAfee deleted file is-MTEIU.tmp. Detected virus: New Poly Win32. Status: file deleted (Clean failed because the detection isn't cleanable)

Conflict caused by NL or McAfee ?
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise ver 8.5i
Scan Engine Version (32-bit): 5300.2777
DAT Version: 5391.0000
Me to, i've read that it also is with NOD32 I can't install this version. I will wait until another version :evil: :evil: :evil: :oops: Ok it is a betaversion. I hope this wil be resolved. Most of time i love Newsleecher :o 8)

Lumar

New Poly Win32 virus in newsleecher.exe

Post by Lumar »

Just installed Betaversion 3.95, but McAfee detected newsleecher.exe as a virus and put in quarantaine. Detected virus: New Poly Win32.
Is there a way to "tell" McAfee the file is OK?

clive386

Post by clive386 »

Been looking into this. "New Poly Win32" seems to be a generic detection catch-all for anything that has been detected by its heuristic detection procedure. Details are available at http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99969.htm. Apparently the alert "indicates that a file is possibly infected with a Polymorphic Win32 virus" but doesn't necessarily mean that it is. Chances are when it's reported as a false positive, they'll release new definitions to correct that. In the meantime, I've added 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Newsleecher' to my exclusions since I have the default download folder set outside of there anyway.