NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 7

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
sngbrdb

Issues I haven't seen mentioned

Post by sngbrdb »

Am I the only one who has to set his max download speed every time he runs NL?

Giganews lets you have 50 connections now... seems a bit ridiculous, but I like it because now I can set up a slave server to news-europe.giganews.com and not have a "too many connections" issue. BUT, NL establishes all of the connections at once, regardless of how many connections it needs! So if I have 25 connections to my main server and 25 to my slave, and download headers from one group, NL makes 25 connections to the main server. Minor complaint, just slows it down.

The GUI frequently goes unresponsive for long periods of time, now, even though Windows reports <50% cpu usage... especially when I'm downloading headers (even if I'm only downloading headers from one group). I am using Giganews' accelerator, which reports headers streaming in at 12-17 Mbps... NL used to be able to handle 40 Mbps and still be responsive.

Can no longer sort by # posts when subscribing to groups.

The NL team might want to consider a web-based bug/feature tracking system... there are lots to choose from, some of them even free, to let users submit issues and let the NL team prioritize and report them fixed. Just a suggestion to make life easier for all :D

itcameoutofthesky

Post by itcameoutofthesky »

Since installing V4.0 Beta 7 yesterday (was using Beta 4) I've been having problems with Kaspersky Anti-Virus 9.

I had previously set Kaspersky up so that it did not scan network traffic from NewsLeecher, but since installing the latest beta Kasperrsky is scanning all traffic from Newleecher.

When installing NewsLeecher I think I saw a brief mention of Kaspersky being configured for Newsleecher - is that correct?

If so what changes were made to Kaspersky and is there a workaround as the only option I have is to disable Kapsersky completely while downloading.

Thanks

rob1985

Post by rob1985 »

This is the seventh beta already, and i'm still having the gigantic hang when NL starts up. I just installed it on a new Windows 7 (RTM) system. I don't even try anything else in the betas, i immediately go back to 3.95b3, that the last one that worked properly.

When will this bug be fixed? I don't know anything about programming, but this seems to me a small bug that is really annoying.

Globby

Post by Globby »

switched recently to v4 beta... a few glitches.. but my biggest concern is that i can't find how to switch to 'filename mode' for browsing...
(i use that feature very often !!)

so disappointing to see it disappear :(

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

Globby wrote:switched recently to v4 beta... a few glitches.. but my biggest concern is that i can't find how to switch to 'filename mode' for browsing...

In the Settings>Advanced Nerdy Tweaks screen, search for filename_mode. Change the value to True for the specific area you wish to have filename mode enabled.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Globby

Post by Globby »

Smudge wrote:
Globby wrote:switched recently to v4 beta... a few glitches.. but my biggest concern is that i can't find how to switch to 'filename mode' for browsing...

In the Settings>Advanced Nerdy Tweaks screen, search for filename_mode. Change the value to True for the specific area you wish to have filename mode enabled.
yeah... just seen that.. but doesn't do what I want...

basically, i used it this way :

when some groups have mixed posts like this (because the numbers are before the titles ):

[0/11] - file 1
[0/14] - file 2
[0/15] - file 3
[1/11] - file 1
[1/14] - file 2
[1/15] - file 3

- switch to filename mode
- sort by filename
- switch back to 'subject mode'

i get that :
[0/11] - file 1
[1/11] - file 1
[0/14] - file 2
[1/14] - file 2
[0/15] - file 3
[1/15] - file 3

but this requires instant switch....

.. or a simple "sort by filename" option :wink:

bbarker

Post by bbarker »

If you select a group of files and choose Leech (First), they are added to the queue in reverse order. For instance, if you selected files numbered 1, 2, .. 10, they will be added 10, 9, ... 2, 1 in the queue. Older versions added them in the order they were listed when you select them.

pzam

Lockup on delete from dowload folder.

Post by pzam »

When I "delete" some files from the download folder it makes newsleecher lockup.

The bad word is delete. Open download folder delete something that the repair and extract is watching.

Whats worse is your backup routine is still awful after 4 years and it looses pointers for everything that has downloaded in the last day or last restart. then again newsleecher will try to re-download completed items because of its ignorance on restart.

I have seen people complain about the backup forever you you are always patching it but never fix it. This is the most irritating thing to me aside from the slowly arriving fast headers.

These seem like they should always be working.
what is so hard about writing out the data every completed file closing and opening it again. Have minor backups every 15 minutes or so and daily etc if one gets mucked we can go back a bit.
please get the BPG and fix it Big programing Hammer.

MacG

W!T!F!???

Post by MacG »

Last edited by MacG on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdgdcg

Post by jdgdcg »

I've been searching for my problem in the forum without luck.
In the Active group window, why when i'm trying to sort by status the articles it doesn't work? Bug? Not implemented yet?

My problem is that i put some articles in the queue, they appear in it, and when i return to see the articles the've not download and appears again in the active group as if i didn't put them in the queue.

That's the reason to need the sort by status...

grimlock72

Post by grimlock72 »

jdgdcg wrote:My problem is that i put some articles in the queue, they appear in it, and when i return to see the articles the've not download and appears again in the active group as if i didn't put them in the queue.
Anything listed in the log tab or logfile? Could be NL isn't downloading them for some reason (not found, already downloaded or such).

jdgdcg

Post by jdgdcg »

grimlock72 wrote:
jdgdcg wrote:My problem is that i put some articles in the queue, they appear in it, and when i return to see the articles the've not download and appears again in the active group as if i didn't put them in the queue.
Anything listed in the log tab or logfile? Could be NL isn't downloading them for some reason (not found, already downloaded or such).
Sometimes says about copying to <null> and others says 'removing matching article' but there is not matching article... when i try again the article is downloaded without problem.

Albion

Post by Albion »

I just installed 4.0b7. Very nice looking. But I have one problem. I cannot minimize the window from either the (-) button on the window nor Right Click-> Minimize on the task bar. I am running Vista Business SP1. All other running programs minimize no problem at all. Any ideas?

Crand

Post by Crand »

Bags... thanks for the childish behavior, I was waiting for somebody to give me that.

Why aren't anybody's posts ever answered? This program is becoming a serious joke. I tell it not to show popup hints and it doesn't care. So far almost every concern with these versions has gone unanswered. Explain yourself. This isn't free software.

grimlock72

Post by grimlock72 »

Crand wrote:Explain yourself. This isn't free software.
To some extend it actually IS. You payed for version 3 and that works fine for most people. Remember these are BETA versions, they *will* have bugs.

Having said that I've noticed only a few bugs and only one that's annoying. Good thing I stuck to windows XP I suppose, hehe...