NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 7

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
infiniter

Post by infiniter »

grimlock72 wrote:Remember these are BETA versions, they *will* have bugs.
You got that slightly wrong. These betas are intended to remove the many bugs the last final still had. But instead of removing these bugs, Crystal Art has implemented a lot of useless new features which cause even more bugs, instead of eradicating the old ones first. That is the point about "broken betas". Even worse, they removed well-working and appreciated features and are re-implementing them now step by step.
This is like inventing the wheel again.

infiniter

Post by infiniter »

ALSfan wrote:Thanks for the good work,

but I'm still missing these features.

1. Supersearch Service --> More: It is not possible to change Min.Days:

2. News:::Log: All Log entries are without date.

3. Queue: I can't find "files and articles marked for downloading - xxxxx articles in queue - xxxxxx GB - time left ~ xxxxxx.

4. The Queue Manager under Queue --> Options is still missing.

5. Usenet --> Articles: Many missing entries. (No Smart Select, Remove from Transfer Queue, Properties ...).

6. Sometimes the flash 'sorting articles' stays on screen.

7. Please add the possibility to close the NL news stand window.
To 1) I can do it, why can't you? Of course, "min. days" can't be greater than "max. days".
To 2) Perhaps you have to set "logging_extreme" to TRUE in the adv. tweaks. By the way, who needs log files with dates? Who needs log files at all?
To 4) Are you sure you use the Beta 7? In tab "Queue" it's Settings, not Options. And what is a queue manager? I've never seen such in any previous version of NL. The queue window itself is the queue manager, so to say.

infiniter

Post by infiniter »

Some things I found:

a) Bad: Still missing the "Export to NZB" feature.

b) Bug: there is no opportunity to manage the kill file or place posters to it, but NL puts a lot of messages in the log like "Article ignored due to poster...".

c) Annoying: the log file logs a lot of useless stuff, which consumes a lot of RAM and CPU. The logging level should be adjustable by importance.

d) Annoying: Still no switching between the old view and the new threaded view in the articles window.

d) Bug: the popup hints sometimes only show for some milliseconds or they flash constantly. I think this happens when updating groups and/or if many entries in the log are done.

e) Annoying: I can't edit one server by disconnecting it while another server is connected. I can only disconnected all.

f) Annoying since ever: only 15000 hits at Supersearch. Why not as many as it can find? Where's the problem? Or at least an option to set the limit.

g) Minor glitch: The popup hint for the erotica button says "Erotica§§".

grimlock72

Post by grimlock72 »

infiniter wrote:Some things I found:

b) Bug: there is no opportunity to manage the kill file or place posters to it, but NL puts a lot of messages in the log like "Article ignored due to poster...".
Settings -> Group Browsing -> Filter buttons at the bottom
infiniter wrote: f) Annoying since ever: only 15000 hits at Supersearch. Why not as many as it can find? Where's the problem? Or at least an option to set the limit.
Probably to protect the server against overly large results. You are supposed to have SOME idea what you're looking for :) Maybe increase the result max if some extra search restrictions are provided?

infiniter

Post by infiniter »

OK, thanks. But the short way to place a poster in the kill filter would be more appreciated. I meant, like it was in the last final.

About SuperSearch: Protect the server? A simple protection would be to limit using SuperSearch only once in 30 seconds. But this way is not OK. Let's search, for example, for all "720p" movies in the last 10 days. It will hit the limit. Let alone, if you'd set 300 days...
I mean, we pay full money for it, then why we receive limited service?

newsman

Post by newsman »

infiniter wrote:You got that slightly wrong. These betas are intended to remove the many bugs the last final still had. But instead of removing these bugs, Crystal Art has implemented a lot of useless new features which cause even more bugs, instead of eradicating the old ones first. That is the point about "broken betas". Even worse, they removed well-working and appreciated features and are re-implementing them now step by step.
This is like inventing the wheel again.
I totally agree with this dude. I seen alot from NL. And I like NL and the dev seems like a good guy. But the cycle described above has been going on for far too long and non of the higher ups seem to question it. And expecting and "accepting" payment for such immature development practices is unconscionable.

frazell

Post by frazell »

grimlock72 wrote:
Crand wrote:Explain yourself. This isn't free software.
To some extend it actually IS. You payed for version 3 and that works fine for most people. Remember these are BETA versions, they *will* have bugs.

Having said that I've noticed only a few bugs and only one that's annoying. Good thing I stuck to windows XP I suppose, hehe...
I would have to disagree. Seeing as how we don't pay for versions, but instead pay for a "subscription" to access the current version for a year...

If we paid for specific versions it would be 1 price paid at the time of purchase and I could use the software forever and buying upgrades would be at my choice.

NineT9mustang

Post by NineT9mustang »

holy crap, ive been using the normal version for a few years, just upgraded to the new beta...

it is amazing! wow, drastic improvements, not just in that pretty GUI, but I noticed it combines all the little files into 1 single one.

That feature alone has made me an extremely happy man, I was always a pain scrolling and scrolling to highlite (Not that I ever really cared, but now that its easy, i would hate to go back lol)

Anyway, kudos on the fantastic work on the beta guys!

topfield_4000

NL hangs after start

Post by topfield_4000 »

Hi,
Everyutime i start nl the program hangs. the nl version starts after a few minutes and works fine after that. never happens before in any version.
what could it be?
thanks in advance :D

stalks

Post by stalks »

I'm having this issue with beta 6 and 7.

Pause if space below 1GB.

It then pauses with a 2GB queue and 90GB available, lol. :D

Argh, how do I switch it off? Even if I set the pause limit to 0 or 1MB it still pauses!

bigsid05

Re: NL hangs after start

Post by bigsid05 »

topfield_4000 wrote:Hi,
Everyutime i start nl the program hangs. the nl version starts after a few minutes and works fine after that. never happens before in any version.
what could it be?
thanks in advance :D
I'm having this issue as well with Windows 7, which I think others have reported. No other network interfaces other than my single ethernet port are enabled (nor do I have any others for that matter).

Felix T Cat

In the master group list you can no longer sort by populatiry

Post by Felix T Cat »

Using Beta 7, in the master group list where you subscribe to groups you used to be able to sort by popularity but no clicking on the popularity no longer does anything.

unfrostedpoptart

Re: In the master group list you can no longer sort by populatiry

Post by unfrostedpoptart »

Felix T Cat wrote:Using Beta 7, in the master group list where you subscribe to groups you used to be able to sort by popularity but no clicking on the popularity no longer does anything.
Yeah - I hit this bug too.

HooGLaNDeR

Post by HooGLaNDeR »

hotzenwalder wrote:Up until beta 3 the Koala FTD Search tool ( http://www.koalabear.nl/software.php ) was kind of working, but with the later releases it is not functioning anymore.

The tool pastes a searchterm from another application (FTD) to the Supersearch Service and hits the search button in Newsleecher. It worked like a charm, but the developer now has run into problems. He looks for a active Newsleecher session by looking for a version number and a search field. This method has become so unstable with the latest beta releases that he is about to throw in the towel concering Newsleecher 4.x support.

This would be a shame because lots of users use his program in conjuntion with Newsleecher and without it Newsleecher would become a whole lot less attractive to use.

I guess it's kind of hard for me to explain what goes wrong. Maybe it's best to get into contact with the developer ( info@koalabear.nl ). It would be much appreciated. 8)
I would like to second that.

The programmer of this add-on asks if there's a windows API to use the supersearch function. Could you guys help out? This would improve the newsleecher even more.

//HooGLaNDeR

cyberde

Post by cyberde »

Beta 7 works pretty well here, despite some crashes when shutting down.
But the most annoying thing is that starting newsleecher takes about 2 minutes (i'n not kidding), NL hangs for about 1,5 minute after starting. Windows then starts complaining that NL isn't responding anymore.