NewsLeecher V4.0 Beta 11

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Spiril
Site Admin

Re: most things seem to work

Post by Spiril »

p0W3Rh0u5e wrote:
Lundis2 wrote: The problem I do have is newsleecher contantly pause saying it cant write fast enough to harddrive. With the old download system I never get any of these pauses. As it is now I use 5 connections at around 95Mbit/s.

"03:17:29 Warning! Slow Temp File Save :: Bytes Written: 386 000 :: Time: 286,9ms :: Per Sec: ~ 1,283 MB :: SaveThreadListCnt: 104
"s
Some observations on that:

1.) It does'nt matter how much download-threads i'm running, i get the same results with 5, 10 and 50 connections (which i run normally).
2.) Article size matters, with really small (249.600 bytes for example) i get pausing errors, with bigger articles it gets better.
I've made a forum thread specifically for getting this problem fixed:
viewtopic.php?t=19766
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

retownes

Post by retownes »

SanderDolphin wrote:Those "Newsleecher download - do not delete" files are a pain. Please revert back to the old way, or include a tweek not to have these files.
I agree. I am often in the same folder re-compiling rar files, using par files etc. on files I have already downloaded. That crazy temp file keeps shifting my existing files up and down and if I don't double-click quick enough on the 'intended' file, the temp file will shift the row of files and move a different file into where my cursor was and now I just clicked on the wrong file. Drives me a bit nuts.

FNi

Post by FNi »

I'm having a problem with Beta11 that appeared fixed in Beta10, but I guess it's back again.

Occasionally, for no apparent reason, NewsLeecher will just hang and become totally unresponsive for about 30 seconds. If it's downloading at the time, the downloads will also stop until the program becomes responsive again.

After this random 'hang' NewsLeecher will not report an error or crash or do anything abnormal. The downloads resume with no corruption.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

I also get another problem but much less regularly. Sometimes when a download starts I get a bug dialog box saying "save filepos < 1". When I click 'Close' the box goes away but within about 2-3 seconds it's back. Only way to stop it is to restart NewsLeecher.

wilydodger

Temp file renaming errors

Post by wilydodger »

I am having major trouble with the temp files not being renamed once they are downloaded. Sometimes the errors run as high as 10-20 percent of the files are not being renamed correctly.

I think the associated log errors are:

!Save Thread Error !! <System Error. Code: 32.
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process>

I wish I could troubleshoot this better, but I just upgraded to Windows 7 x64 right before these new Betas came out. I am thinking that it is a conflict with my NOD32 antivirus.

Mostly, the files are completing. I can run Quickpar and it finds the right files and renames them without having to repair them.

wiz_

Re: Temp file renaming errors

Post by wiz_ »

wilydodger wrote:I am having major trouble with the temp files not being renamed once they are downloaded. Sometimes the errors run as high as 10-20 percent of the files are not being renamed correctly.

I wish I could troubleshoot this better, but I just upgraded to Windows 7 x64 right before these new Betas came out. I am thinking that it is a conflict with my NOD32 antivirus.

Mostly, the files are completing. I can run Quickpar and it finds the right files and renames them without having to repair them.
same here, seems the problem is persisting in this release as well.

Smudge
Site Admin

Re: Temp file renaming errors

Post by Smudge »

wilydodger wrote:I am having major trouble with the temp files not being renamed once they are downloaded. Sometimes the errors run as high as 10-20 percent of the files are not being renamed correctly.

As you are thinking, it is most likely your antivirus software scanning the file when NewsLeecher is trying to rename it to the final filename. Try disabling the AV and see if the problem continues.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Myg

Post by Myg »

sorry but this beta 11 version is very catastrophic !

a lot of issues, download pausing, in log "warning slow temp file save", no change DL directory, supersearch doesn't found the file I am looking for... too enough beta release and not final release, in queue, the "grouping" is not working correctly, it seems some files don't be assembled.
"!!newsleecher download - do not delete -- nnnnnnnnnn!!" if you cancel a download, the temporary files stay in directory. What is the reason of this choice, very strange and annoying, trouble, confuse...

The inside explorer has a lot of bug. Copy/cut/paste work only with buttons but not with keyboard (since very longtime, maybe since the first time). Keyboard: ctrl-c/ctrl-v or ctrl-x, ctrl-ins, shift-ins, shift-del...
In left column, if you want to rename a directory, it doesn't work all the time, sometimes, yes, sometimes, no.
The refresh is not good. Name, size of files don't refresh even if you click on refresh button.
Previous directory '.." is not present. in right explorer list, and the button is too small and has not a good design, too similar to refresh button.

etc.

sorry for my english, but it's difficult to write so much errors on this program.

So, i am looking for a new software to replace NewsLeecher and ask for a rabate because, too too too poor version !

i am very disappointed by Newsleecher since 4 version. :cry:

TifKag

Post by TifKag »

Nobody is twisting your arm to test a beta release

Look at the lines that say that beta's can be unstable.

It is normal for Beta's to have bugs.
They will be ironed out.

You can always go back to the last final .(Version 3.9 final)

Myg

Post by Myg »

i know that, but:

i am a customer, who pays for software release. If i want to use only 3.9 version i paid before, ok. But i don't pay for a lot of bugs as actually.

By my message, NL Team knows that one of customer does'nt appreciate some new functions.

and i write it, as a customer.

Previous Final release has bugs as i mention in this thread.

So... in conclusion: I hope that next beta NL version will work better... and...

Happy, Merry Christmas (in advance, because i quit )

:lol:

capntripz

Post by capntripz »

So far, I have not gotten the pausing message (of course it forgets all my groups and articles every time I start 11, so I haven't had a chance to download anything.)

What I do notice is that the transfer rate is incredibly slow. I used to get 760 Mbps using 9 and I am lucky to get 130 with 11. I have checked everything and all seems well. Speed tests are good. This is a terrible time of year as everyone is online shopping and then everyone is online with the questions about there new toys.) Anyway, it's slow for whatever reason and crashes just as much as usual though it doesn't seem to corrupt the cache as often.

Shalom2010 wrote:This beta does so far seem to resolve my pausing...has anyone else found any pausing now??

Can someone tell me if the new feature Xfeat compression works with Giganews as it appears not to download any quicker! (using Newsbin I get a recorded download of 80+ meg with 15 meg actual download so the headers download at rocket speed - not that way with NL)

Necrosat

b11 headers revisited

Post by Necrosat »

The last couple of days, b11 has been nuking headers again forcing me to reload everything.
So far, it was working good, but the last 2 days, the a.b.tv has been resetting itself.
I did notice that when it works, it is fine (duh), but when I have these issues, the a.b.tv cache(?) file in (windows 7): appdata/roaming/newslecher/cachev4/groups disappears.
Looking at it right now, there is only a alt.binaries.tv.nli file - for all my other groups, there is also a .nlc and .nlm.

Is it auto deleting this file?

Yotz

Post by Yotz »

Hi,

I have to agree there is something wrong with the retrieval of new headers, well for me anyway. I can re-create it all the time if I wanted, but using the program normally it happens 2-3 times a day.

All I have to do is click "All: All New Headers", it gets all the new headers in my subscribed groups (10), once this is done do the same again, then again and suddenly.... boom.. you have 400 million new headers in a random group, highest I had was 2 billion. In the download section it gets 2 headers out of 2 billion and then freezes, the remaining time goes bananas.

Now, I have experimented with a few options when this happens and what happens to NL:

1) Close NL = Program does a hard crash and you lose all headers and files downloaded in memory since you had it open, very annoying
2) Click disconnect = no crash but you're stuck with it wanting to download 2 billion headers
3) Click disconnect and then click catchup 1 header = seems to solve the problem but you miss out on all the headers that were created in the time it took you to do it.
4) Click disconnect and then connect and retrieve new = OMG = I get a page of headers which look like the raw header file, totally screwed up. Now if you start to play with this headers NL can't handle that type of data and you create some really hard crashes.

My personal solution is to disconnect, catchup 1 header then retrieve last 100,000 headers incase you missed something.

BTW, I'm planning to keep a large amount of headers on disk, how would I for example say "All: Get Everything". 1 million is nothing really for some groups, I want 200 days for some of the biggest groups. I have a compressed header service and a 60MB connection so these retrievals only take minutes.

Cheers
Ian

P.S
I submitted screenshots and more details in the email to NL, hope the details help to make beta 12 even better! I'm really looking forward to it.

haldol

Re: !!newsleecher download - do not delete -- nnnnnnnnnn!!

Post by haldol »

elmariachi wrote:Sadly now this error turns up for me as well:

"..temporary downloading file could not be created!
!!newsleecher download - do not delete -- nnnnnnnnnn!!
"

I was using the 4 beta 10 without issues, after the upgrade I suddently cant download anything anymore. Instead the error pops up as soon as newsleecher tries to create a temporary downlaod file.

This is a show stopper! Please fix! ... pretty please :)
+1
I have this too. Is there a workaround fix for this?

toaomatis

Post by toaomatis »

I'm recieving a
11:37:08 Warning! Slow Temp File Save :: Bytes Written: 640.000 :: Time: 24756,1ms :: Per Sec: ~ 0,025 MB :: SaveThreadListCnt: 1
message at every part, block and file that I download.

My download folder is on a RAID5-array, that might be the problem, but it chews up my cpu, generating this error/warning messages.

I hope there will be a solution soon, to disable that message.

Anyway, great improvement on the engine though :)

Carpo

Corrupt Downloads, due to corrupt message-id on server

Post by Carpo »

Hi

Long time user first time bug :)

After downloading the headers for alt.binaries.x, and trying to download a few files, i notice in the log that is saying....

10:35:14 Renaming downloading article part# 36 of " some.release "some.release.part025.rar"" from server "news.ams.newshosting.com".
10:35:14 * Old name: "some.release2_02_640x480_2500k.rar" - New name: "some.release.part025.rar".
10:35:14 * Server response: "=ybegin part=36 line=128 size=200000000 name=some.release.part025.rar". Part Msg ID: "0002b09f$0$2163$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com".
10:35:14 * Note : The part renaming is probably caused by a corrupt message-id index on the server.
10:35:14 * Note2: The file will probably come down corrupt. Please inform about the problem in the NewsLeecher User Forum.

Just doing as it asked :) would like to download that but guess i cant