ATTENTION - IMPORTANT - DATE PROBLEM v4b16

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
the doctor

ATTENTION - IMPORTANT - DATE PROBLEM v4b16

Post by the doctor »

Headers in both Articles tab and SS are not being listed properly. Dates of new headers are Feb 28, 2010 or March 1, 2010 not May 1,2010.

See last few posts in b16 thread for more info.

Hermann

Post by Hermann »

Hey

Same problem here. It is very annoying since I had NL to keep an Group Retension to 30 days but everything was deleted from my groups if I leaved them. Only solution is to set Group Retension to 90 days but then the data files become very big.
When will we see some responce from the author.?????

Tried to install v4b15. Same problem.
Hermann

Yotz

Post by Yotz »

I was just about to contact GigaNews about this, lucky I checked here first. All my groups are like a day behind or something, very confusing!

Can this be hot-fixed?

kevino

can verify issue with v4b15 also

Post by kevino »

update: can see error on v4 beta 15. went to v4 beta 1, and it seems to work ok. But I had to reset all my server info.

--------------------
I was pulling out whatever hair I had left trying to clear out caches and redownload the 16+ million headers. Couldn't see anything new after 1 May. gives a new meaning to MayDay...

i'll try to roll back to previous version which can be downloaded from this URL:

http://www.newsleecher.com/old/

jdgdcg

Post by jdgdcg »

ok, it's a beta... but until when? We know that final releases of 3.9 doesn't work.. we're paying for betas? And now.. the date headers problem? Frak... that's not remotely serious, and not a word from the developers...

Antonin

Post by Antonin »

jdgdcg wrote:ok, it's a beta... but until when? We know that final releases of 3.9 doesn't work.. we're paying for betas? And now.. the date headers problem? Frak... that's not remotely serious, and not a word from the developers...
Same problem here. Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a pretty fundamental requirement of Newsleecher (or any newsreader)? That is of course, to maintain accuracy of posting dates and times.

the doctor

Post by the doctor »

Same problem here. Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a pretty fundamental requirement of Newsleecher (or any newsreader)? That is of course, to maintain accuracy of posting dates and times.
This is a problem that suddenly popped up - it has worked perfectly up till now.

Programs are made by using Programming Languages such as Visual C, C++, Delphi (Pascal).

Different functions such as date conversion etc. are controlled by modules in the programming language.

When the compiler makes the executable version of the program these modules are converted to machine language. The problem would not be in the programmers control and something the programmer would not be aware of until it occurs.

Of course I'm not sure this is what happened, but it would explain why this occured so suddenly.

kevino

Post by kevino »

OK, i may be stretching it here, but April is the first month of 2010 that had 30 days. Perhaps there is an error in the sorting algorithm in the latest versions of betas that didn't get caught until now.
I assume that affected Betas came after Feb?