[REQUEST] - Supersearch boolean for the opposite of poster:postername

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
schwagn

[REQUEST] - Supersearch boolean for the opposite of poster:postername

Post by schwagn » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:38 am

I think this has been discussed before, but I didn't see a real answer anywhere.

I'd like to exclude a certain poster from supersearch results. In 5.0b5, I can user the operator poster:postername in the supersearch query and get only the results containing that name. I can't figure out how do the opposite though.

-poster:flooder doesn't work,
poster:-flooder doesn't work, and
poster:!flooder doesn't work either.

Is this possible to implement? If not, why? (just curious;))

Thanks!

Lenny

schwagn

Post by schwagn » Mon May 16, 2011 5:56 am

So after almost a month later with no replies, let me ask this:

Does anyone on the NewsLeecher team visit these forums? I'm seeing a lot of complaints in this forum about beta 5 and not very many responses or replies.

NewsLeecher is a great program but hasn't improved much over the past couple of releases. I appreciate some of the new options, but there are still a few major omissions (imho) that any usenet client should have. Also, it seems like development has slowed down quite a bit. What gives guys?

Has anyone else out there found a better usenet client than NewsLeecher?

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Tue May 17, 2011 10:19 pm

The ability to exclude other fields like poster and group in SuperSearch has been discussed previously and it will happen some day. It just isn't possible with the current search system.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

schwagn

Post by schwagn » Wed May 18, 2011 4:25 am

OK fair enough. Thanks for the reply!

smedley

Post by smedley » Mon May 23, 2011 8:48 am

With Supersearch being the centerpiece of NewsLeecher, I don't understand why more effort hasn't been made to improving SS capabilities (from the user's perspective). I've seen requests posted and acknowledged by the developers/moderators on these forums for more than a year, but there seems to be no movement to improve SS search functionality. As the original poster noted, it would be quite useful to block certain posters. I would take it a step farther and say that it would be useful to have a kill file that would block a list of posters (for both SS and newsgroup browsing). The kill file concept should also be implemented for subject filtering.

All the filtering could be implemented on the client side and wouldn't affect how SS is implemented. In this manner, development on SS could continue without having to make changes to the NL client. This is functionality found in most popular newsreaders, and from reading the forum over the years, I thought they were going to be implemented in NL "soon." Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the work that has been put into SS on the server side, but with more data being available via SS, we need ways to filter out the junk.

We're now up to v5, and the development focus seems to be on improving the method for posting messages to Usenet. This is great, but the work involved to implement this seems to have put SS user interface improvements on the back burner. I think the developers need to take a step back and finishing developing v4 so it meets all the capabilities that we were led to believe would be implemented, including valid user requests that fit the v4 architecture.

Thanks,
Smedley

unfrostedpoptart

Post by unfrostedpoptart » Tue May 24, 2011 11:38 pm

Smudge wrote:The ability to exclude other fields like poster and group in SuperSearch has been discussed previously and it will happen some day. It just isn't possible with the current search system.
I know I just asked about this a week ago but thought I should also reply here since this is a really important and required enhancement with the huge growth of spam/password-protected archives lately.

David

Mclane

Post by Mclane » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:41 pm

Smudge wrote:The ability to exclude other fields like poster and group in SuperSearch has been discussed previously and it will happen some day. It just isn't possible with the current search system.
I hope it *will* happen one day, there's a pretty staggering rise of tiny virus posts by one set of bots hitting daily, 60,000 plus posts per group so making life right hard to find stuff.

Sadly with emulation stuff the files are normally tiny so I can't use size as a filter or I would.

Why they spam an emulation group with files from 1970+ I have no idea, its not even related material that might catch folks with the loaded virus.

Do your best Smudge please, otherwise I'm getting Spiril a voodo doll and sticking pins in him :)

Edit: Just before anyone says about setting a group up and kill filing the poster that way, I used to do that but emulation groups are full of multiple system posts that maybe only 1% apply to you so I use supersearch for this as its quicker..