Creating/Starting over with a (new) newsleecher.ini file

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
noblemd

Creating/Starting over with a (new) newsleecher.ini file

Post by noblemd » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:40 pm

Currently using v8b5 UFR 2 - below is applicable to previous versions as well.

As noted in my previous posts - After creating and using a "FRESH" data folder with NewsLeecher, I am getting almost no errors - very occasionally get the getDownloadFolder932 and very occasionally get stuck downloads - NOT anywhere near as often as occurred when using data files created in previous versions of NL.

By placing a newsleecher.ini text file in the NL program folder (usually: C:\Program Files (x86)\NewsLeecher) containing:

dataFolder=(drive):\(folder name)\data\
tempFolder=(drive):\(folder name)\temp\

for example (where "X" is the drive letter):
20010907.png
20010907.png (8 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
You can change where NL stores and retrieves configuration, temporary files, data (cache files etc.)

Note1: Creating a new ("FRESH" data) NewsLeecher version by using a (new) newsleecher.ini file requires re-entry of all Account info, Settings, Folders, re-subscribing to groups, and etc.

Note2: If you want to change where NL stores data rather than create a "fresh" temp/data folder, you have to copy the original data/temp folders (normally contained in: %AppData%\NewsLeecher which equates to C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\NewsLeecher) to the new location to retain your old settings/folders/etc.

Default temp/data location (C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\NewsLeecher):
20010903.png
20010903.png (45.01 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
Note3: If you already use a newsleacher.ini file you can backup/retain your old settings/folder/etc. by renaming the original ini file (i.e. rename the original newsleecher.ini file to newsleecher.ini.ORG or similar) and enter different temp/data folders in the new newsleecher.ini file. If you are using the default temp/data location (as above) the old settings/folder/etc. will be there unless you delete the original folders.

newsleecher.ini file location/rename:
20010905.png
20010905.png (56.99 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
Windows 10 v.1909
Ryzen 3950 (16 Cores 32 Threads - OC 4.5 GHz)
DeepCool Captain 240 RGB V2, AIO Liquid CPU Cooler (Max Temp 80°C 100% load)
NL download drive: M2 2280 500 GB NVME SSD (1.2 GB/s r/w)
Synology NAS #1: 32 TB RAID 5 (5 x 8 TB Drives)
Synology NAS #2: 18 TB RAID 5 (4 x 6 TB Drives)
500 Mb/s Internet Connection (NL Avg D/L speed 55 MB/s)

TheSiege

Re: Creating/Starting over with a (new) newsleecher.ini file

Post by TheSiege » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:44 am

I did this a few months back, and it did make a big difference. Still one or two lingering issues, but it solved a few I was getting regularly.

lunadmin

Re: Creating/Starting over with a (new) newsleecher.ini file

Post by lunadmin » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:56 pm

This was one of the first things i did when the issues began, that didn't solve the issues.