v2.3b1 - Network limiter not working

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
techfuzz
Forum Moderator

v2.3b1 - Network limiter not working

Post by techfuzz » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:34 am

I set it at T-1 speed (1.5mbps) which shows up as 197.6KB/s in the status bar, but my downloads are still cruising along at over 300KB/s according to NL & Netlimiter.

I did install over v2.1 final so I'm going to do a full uninstall and then reinstall to see if it makes a difference.

EDIT: Did a clean install, no difference - still downloads at full speed.

EDIT 2: Oh, and there is no way to "turn it off" once you've turned it on. You can delete the value in the text box, but that gets reinterpreted as 1.0KB/s in the status bar.

EDIT 3: I'm an idiot and didn't know the "slider" was on the Bandwidth Meter panel down at the bottom. I usually have it hidden from view.

techfuzz
Last edited by techfuzz on Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:34 am

I haven't found the limiter yet, is it in options somewhere?

Edit: Found it already, now I wish I could connect using the new beta
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:31 am

I set my Connection Speed to 4Mbit, the graph just peaked level showing the top speed of the downloads (~350kB/s) as if I had the graph set to low and it was clipping the top of the graph.

When I enabled the Speed Limiter down to 50%, the speeds didn't drop to 50% like you would think but the connections paused for 5-10 seconds every 20-30 seconds or so. If limiting the connections between spikes trying to get an average speed for the limiter, please change this thinking. This is not the right way to do speed limiting.

I am moving this thread over to the New Beta forum as this is more of a Beta feature being worked on then it is a Bug.

MeWhOeLsE

Post by MeWhOeLsE » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:05 am

I wonder if all these problems has anything to do with the retraction of the announcememnt for this beta on the main news page... (or am I just going mad... but I'm sure there was a news story about this beta. It had something really stupid in if I remember correctly)

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:02 pm

Smudge wrote:When I enabled the Speed Limiter down to 50%, the speeds didn't drop to 50% like you would think but the connections paused for 5-10 seconds every 20-30 seconds or so. If limiting the connections between spikes trying to get an average speed for the limiter, please change this thinking. This is not the right way to do speed limiting.
What is the right way to do the limiting ?

As I write in the release notes, the feature in still in the test phase and far from perfect. It's actually quite a hard feature to implement (at least for me :)) because the limiting has to be done over several connections at a time.

Could you post a screenshot showing the graph where you have limited the download speed to 50% ? On my test machines, using a 10mbps connection, the graph runs smoothly at 50% when bandwidth is limited to that.

Cheers
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Re: v2.3b1 - Network limiter not working

Post by dwazegek » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:03 pm

techfuzz wrote:I set it at T-1 speed (1.5mbps) which shows up as 197.6KB/s in the status bar, but my downloads are still cruising along at over 300KB/s according to NL & Netlimiter.

I did install over v2.1 final so I'm going to do a full uninstall and then reinstall to see if it makes a difference.

EDIT: Did a clean install, no difference - still downloads at full speed.

EDIT 2: Oh, and there is no way to "turn it off" once you've turned it on. You can delete the value in the text box, but that gets reinterpreted as 1.0KB/s in the status bar.

techfuzz
I think that you haven't configuring the speed limiter correctly. If you set it to download full speed (slider in the graph at the top), it will download at full speed, no matter how fast you tell newsleecher your connection is.
If you change the slider to 90%, then it will download at 90% (well it should, as smudge mentioned it doesn't) of the confgured speed.

I'm seeing the same thing as smudge, however the frequency is much higher, it switches every second or so for me (altough I'm using the network monitor in the task manager, and I'm not sure of it's accuracy).

edit:
Spiril wrote:Could you post a screenshot showing the graph where you have limited the download speed to 50% ? On my test machines, using a 10mbps connection, the graph runs smoothly at 50% when bandwidth is limited to that.
The newsleecher graph is quite stable for, but the graph in the windows' networkmonitor isn't (screenshot coming up ;) )

edit2:
hope it's clear enough, the windows graph looks pretty crappy, but I couldn't really find a way to pretty it up (not that I bothered to look for a way to pretty it up btw). This was at 50%

Nemon

Post by Nemon » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:32 pm

Doesnt do anything for me either.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:38 pm

Nemon, do you limit the speed by changing the slider left to the graph on the mainform?

If you set it to 10% doesn't it have any effect at all?

Dwazegek,

I experience the same behaviour as you. I'm going to install newsbin later today and see what the graph looks like when using their speed limiting feature. If it looks smooth in the taskmgr, I definitely have some work to do on the feature...

Edit: Btw, how many simultaneous usenet connections do you have open in NL?
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:14 pm

7 connected, of which 4 are downloading, the other 3 are just idle (lower priority server)
Don't think it'll matter, but the 4 active connections are from one server.

Gary

Post by Gary » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:34 pm

Where is the slider that's mentioned here? I don't see it anywhere.

When speed is set 1 mbps/DSL, the only difference I can see is that it shows max speed at a constant 128, but it seems to have no effect on the "cur" speed, which is usually higher.

Thanks to Spiril for writing such a GREAT and useful program. Glad to see that speed limiting is being added.

Thanks,

Gary

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:42 pm

Gary wrote:Where is the slider that's mentioned here? I don't see it anywhere.

When speed is set 1 mbps/DSL, the only difference I can see is that it shows max speed at a constant 128, but it seems to have no effect on the "cur" speed, which is usually higher.

Thanks to Spiril for writing such a GREAT and useful program. Glad to see that speed limiting is being added.

Thanks,

Gary
You need 2.3b1, it wasn't available in the previous releases. If you have 2.3b1, it's to the left of the bandwidth meter, at the bottom of the frame.

If you've either disabled the connections frame (f11) or the bandwidth meter (view->bandwidth meter->show bandwidth meter), then it won't show up. Might be an idea to also make it accessible from somewhere else (options menu, tray icon, download queue or so)

Nemon

Post by Nemon » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:48 pm

Oh, you need the meter showing.... I changed it in options.. I thought it was a bit awkward to use. I will try now.

Ok yes i see it working now however it doesnt really work, the bandwidth used is still max it just seems to burst the download bit by bit.

I get the same bizaar net graph as above. Not really working like a true bandwidth limiter.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:12 pm

The bandwidth throttler is located here:

Gary

Post by Gary » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:53 pm

Thanks,

I didn't have the graph enabled.

The-One

Post by The-One » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:46 pm

Spiril wrote: What is the right way to do the limiting ?

As I write in the release notes, the feature in still in the test phase and far from perfect. It's actually quite a hard feature to implement (at least for me :)) because the limiting has to be done over several connections at a time.

Could you post a screenshot showing the graph where you have limited the download speed to 50% ? On my test machines, using a 10mbps connection, the graph runs smoothly at 50% when bandwidth is limited to that.

Cheers
Same here, i got a 10Mbit connection, Set the limiter on 60%, and it's limiting the download at about 60% as it should. Ok there still are some fluctuations, but not much, maybe +/- 5%, but it's working beautiful.

My only comment is, an adjustible scale. Now it is in steps of 10%. Make the scaling adjustible in the options dialog, and i'm completely happy with it.... :D :D :D

Using the NewsLeecher Bandwith limiting option.

Using Netlimiter

So the Newsleecher option could use some tweaking.....
Last edited by The-One on Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.