Que or timer broken screenshot incl

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
BillyBoo

Que or timer broken screenshot incl

Post by BillyBoo »

Figure 1 dl queue. Speed in real time is not adding up tp thread que.

figure 2 Show connections and thread of dvd download.

figure 3 Shows dl speed and stability of dl

All files are fine clean ie: not corupt. As tested.
System: Win xp sp2 with cable connection. no virus scanner or firewall running in background.

Prob: even with the 5mbs connection to 14 active threads it still takes 2 hours and 5 minites ir so to dl a dvd 4.5 gigs.
My math says if part is 50 megs in size with 5 mbs connection as show in jpg should I not recieve files in 10 to 12 sec's given overhead. I am actually get file in about 50 sec's for a 50 meg part. So is this my math or nl not calculating dl times coreectly or que not sewing the parts together.

btw: This my home cable connection feast your eyes on the mb's

Last edited by BillyBoo on Fri May 06, 2005 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

Nope because remember the difference between mbps and mBps. You are on 5mbps which equals around 550KB per second which would take a few minutes for a 50MB file :)

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

2.4Gig download on 4mbps would take approx 2 hours 15 minutes

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

Me1432 wrote:Nope because remember the difference between mbps and mBps. You are on 5mbps which equals around 550KB per second which would take a few minutes for a 50MB file :)
Let's see mbps would be strictly speaking millibits per second, and mBps millibytes per second :D :D

But on a more serious note:

BillyBoo, your getting quite a good speed on your 5 Mbps connection if you get a DVD in little more than 2 hours. I have a 6 Mbps connection and at the most I get a speed of about 600 kBps, and it typically takes me almost 2.5 hours to download a DVD.

So congratulations!
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

Red Dwarf wrote: Let's see mbps would be strictly speaking millibits per second, and mBps millibytes per second :D :D
Ooops damn right. i always rememberd using a smaller case k as K was kelvin temperature. Must pay more attention :lol:

[/excuse]

pka4916

Post by pka4916 »

1 Gb on my 5Mb download takes only 30 minutes

so 2 Mb takes only 1 hour, and that is for sure, since I downloaded some..

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

pka4916 wrote:1 Gb on my 5Mb download takes only 30 minutes

A DVD is usually over 4.5 GB which means at least 2 hours and 15 minutes for a DVD.

BTW, maybe you should check your messages before submitting. :wink:
Grtz RD

pka4916

Post by pka4916 »

Red Dwarf wrote:

A DVD is usually over 4.5 GB which means at least 2 hours and 15 minutes for a DVD.

why check it??

someone stated
"2.4Gig download on 4mbps would take approx 2 hours 15 minutes"

seems way to long to me, even though I have 5mbps
2.4Gb takes for me 1Hr 15 min.

zodiac

Post by zodiac »

Red Dwarf wrote: I have a 6 Mbps connection and at the most I get a speed of about 600 kBps, and it typically takes me almost 2.5 hours to download a DVD.
thats not realy a 6 Mbps connection,is it? ;)
takes me 1.5 hours on my 6 Mbps connection,but i do little over 6.5.

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

pka4916 wrote:
Red Dwarf wrote:

why check it??

someone stated

Read your own message: 1GB takes half an hour so 2 MB takes only an hour :wink:

As for the 2.4 GB I suspect he meant a DVD since he was talking about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Which is also impossible of course, because 4 Mb gives an absolute maximum of 512 KB/s and to download a fullsize DVD in 2.25 hours you would have to download at a rate close to 590 KB/s
Grtz RD

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

zodiac wrote:
Red Dwarf wrote: I have a 6 Mbps connection and at the most I get a speed of about 600 kBps, and it typically takes me almost 2.5 hours to download a DVD.
thats not realy a 6 Mbps connection,is it? ;)
takes me 1.5 hours on my 6 Mbps connection,but i do little over 6.5.
You know the hype, it is a 6016 kb/s connection, and a 'real' 6 Mb connection would have to be 6144 kb/s.
Anyway divide your connection speed by 10 and you have the maximum speed in kB/s which you can expect. In my case this formula gives me 600 kB/s, which is actually pretty close to my maximum download speed.

1.5 hours, means 874 kB/s. This possible but, 6.5 Mb/s gives you a theoretical maximum of 832 kB/s.
To download a fullsize DVD in 1.5 hours you would at least need a 7 Mb/s connection, this is in theory. In the real world you would need at least an 8 Mb/s connection to reach those kind of speeds.
And there will be plenty of people who don't reach that kind of speeds even though they have a 8 Mb connection.

EDIT: To go back to the original question, downloading a fullsize DVD in 2 hours and 5 minutes is close to the theoretical speed for a 5 Mb connection (629 kB/s vs 640 kB/s) Which means either his connection is faster than 5 Mb/s, or Newsleecher is lieing.
Grtz RD

pka4916

Post by pka4916 »

Red Dwarf wrote:
pka4916 wrote:
Red Dwarf wrote: A DVD is usually over 4.5 GB which means at least 2 hours and 15 minutes for a DVD.

why check it??

someone stated

Read your own message: 1GB takes half an hour so 2 MB takes only an hour :wink:
OOOPPPSSS :oops: :oops:
had to read it a few times... guess it was later.. hehe

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

Yep as Red Dwarf says 6mb connection would be at a maxiumum of about 768KB/s , though you never really get what it says because of overheads, other things your connection is used for and generally just network congestion which causes the speed to fluctuate up and down a bit and also other things such as your computer performance. Unless you have some sort of leased line which would give you a rock solid download :).
1 Gb on my 5Mb download takes only 30 minutes
Assuming you mean 1GB, that would be impossible for a 5Mb connection even running at maximum, unless it was running faster than 5Mbps of course

In the UK you can only get 2mb max and it only runs at a maxiumum of about 1900kbps :P

Connavar

Post by Connavar »

You can get more in the UK, most Cable companies offer 3Mb Lines, also if your lucky enough you can get 8Mb ADSL:

http://www.ukonline.net/8000/

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

Its all either LLU or cable though. Im sticking with good old ipstream, BT will soon release 8mb for that too :) Better routing and reliablility