Missing Complete Headers?

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
elite

Missing Complete Headers?

Post by elite »

I am using newshosting and beta 8 - I am finding that some of my groups after updating are missing headers. So it is not pink (incomplete) but just completely missing - yet I can download it through the supersearch. In some groups it is really bad whereby it is showing it almost empty and I don't think posting to that group has stopped!!!

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek »

Make sure the multiparts aren't being filtered, the easiest way to see if any multiparts are filtered is by checking the numbers in the tab. If the tab reads "Articles [x]", where x is a number, then they're not being filtered, if it reads "Articles [x / y]", where x and y are numbers, then some multiparts are being filtered. In this case, make sure that all the filterfields (even the hidden ones under the "adv. filters" button are empty and all the filter checkboxes are checked.

If the articles aren't being filtered, make sure none of the filters in Options->Filters might be catching them.
Forum's Grammar Nazi:
I will hunt you down if you don't lose the extra o.

elite

Post by elite »

none of the filters are turned on and I don't think newshosting is dropping any files - they are a big company and no one else is having problems with them.

I am getting quite annoyed - any ideas? :oops: :cry:

Lips
Forum Moderator

Re: Missing Complete Headers?

Post by Lips »

elite wrote:I am using newshosting and beta 8 - I am finding that some of my groups after updating are missing headers. So it is not pink (incomplete) but just completely missing - yet I can download it through the supersearch. In some groups it is really bad whereby it is showing it almost empty and I don't think posting to that group has stopped!!!
Are the messages there and then disappear upon the next update or do they never appear?
Is it whole "sets" of posts or random multi-part bins that are missing? For example, do you see "subject1.r01", and "subject1.r03", but "subject1.r02" is missing?

Are they possibly getting caught in the crosspost filter?

See if the same problem occurs with v3.5b9.

--
Lips

josemuk

Post by josemuk »

Lips wrote:Are the messages there and then disappear upon the next update or do they never appear?
Is it whole "sets" of posts or random multi-part bins that are missing? For example, do you see "subject1.r01", and "subject1.r03", but "subject1.r02" is missing?

Using b9, I have this problem with the group alt.binaries.games.adventures.

With another news programs I get all headers but Newsleecher misses random multi-part bins even if I reset the group and redownload all the headers.

elite

Post by elite »

Lips wrote: Are the messages there and then disappear upon the next update or do they never appear?
No they are not there at all. They are just not showing up at all - not even as incomplete - which at least tell you that the parts are possibly there.
Lips wrote: Is it whole "sets" of posts or random multi-part bins that are missing? For example, do you see "subject1.r01", and "subject1.r03", but "subject1.r02" is missing?
But now it is very extreme - as in for the a.b.mp3.soundtrack group - they might only be 3 Mp3 files out of 15-20 - that is meant to be there.
Lips wrote: Are they possibly getting caught in the crosspost filter?
No - I don't have it turned on.
lips wrote: See if the same problem occurs with v3.5b9.
I am hoping not to convert to beta9 coz there seems to be quite a few major problems - I was hoping to wait for beta 10. I have tried to purge the group cache and unsubscribe the group and then tried to re-download the headers and still had the same problem.

Stringtheory

Post by Stringtheory »

elite wrote:none of the filters are turned on and I don't think newshosting is dropping any files - they are a big company and no one else is having problems with them.

Damn, a long reply just got dropped.

Anyway, others on Newhosting are indeed having problems, but it's not Newshosting. Newer NL versions do this, especially with certain groups like a.b.tv. Other newsreaders will work fine with those groups.

The long ritual: Purging, unsubscribing, exiting, restarting, resubscribing, getting all headers...often does look like it's getting all headers. Unfortunately even a brief visit to another group will erase your headers. Evidently NL is not able to save them correctly to the cache file.

Stringtheory

Post by Stringtheory »

elite wrote:none of the filters are turned on and I don't think newshosting is dropping any files - they are a big company and no one else is having problems with them.

Another thing you can try: If you see one header from a group that you want, go to binsearch.info, search for the appropriate text, hit the checkbox, create an .nzb file, and doubleclick it. Then NL will enqueue and download all parts.

Stringtheory

Post by Stringtheory »

Lips wrote:Are the messages there and then disappear upon the next update or do they never appear?

--
Lips
Hi Lips,
(oops...messed up the last reply)
He's probably seeing the same problem that has been reported elsewhere. It is as you describe: 01 and 03 are there, 02 is missing.

Again, this can happen even after 01 02 and 03 are all displayed. Visit another group, come back, and 02 is gone. Unsubscribe, reload, same thing.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

elite wrote:
Lips wrote: Are the messages there and then disappear upon the next update or do they never appear?
No they are not there at all. They are just not showing up at all - not even as incomplete - which at least tell you that the parts are possibly there.
Lips wrote:Is it whole "sets" of posts or random multi-part bins that are missing? For example, do you see "subject1.r01", and "subject1.r03", but "subject1.r02" is missing?
But now it is very extreme - as in for the a.b.mp3.soundtrack group - they might only be 3 Mp3 files out of 15-20 - that is meant to be there.
Ok, so the multi-parts are not incomplete and they are actually missing, never showing up at all.

I checked a.b.mp3.soundtrack and found nothing missing. I got all headers using NL and Xnews. Both had the same messages. I do not have a NH account, so the headers did not come from NH. Well over half of the posts are over 41 days old. However, you should be seeing more than 3 mp3s.

Try getting the headers using a different news client. See if you get the same results.
Try a clean install of NL into another directory, set up just the 1 group, updating the group and see what happens.

Stringtheory wrote:
Anyway, others on Newhosting are indeed having problems, but it's not Newshosting. Newer NL versions do this, especially with certain groups like a.b.tv. Other newsreaders will work fine with those groups.
Stringtheory –

Elite’s problem does not seem like the “a.b.tv problem” (which was hopefully fixed as of 3.5b8), as the multi-parts are missing as soon as the group is updated. It does not take a subsequent update to cause the messages to go missing (at least this is my understanding of Elite’s problem).

Ok, this got me curious, so I grabbed all of the headers for a.b.tv (10.7 million). AFAICT, no problem with lost headers.
Closed / re-opened NL. Updated the headers for the group.
No problem. The last time I tested a.b.tv for the problem, when it was first discussed here in forum, it was not too difficult to spot.
Stringtheory wrote:
Hi Lips,

He's probably seeing the same problem that has been reported elsewhere. It is as you describe: 01 and 03 are there, 02 is missing.

Again, this can happen even after 01 02 and 03 are all displayed. Visit another group, come back, and 02 is gone. Unsubscribe, reload, same thing.
It does not sound like the “a.b.tv problem”. See my comments above.

--
Lips

champ

Post by champ »

elite wrote:But now it is very extreme - as in for the a.b.mp3.soundtrack group - they might only be 3 Mp3 files out of 15-20 - that is meant to be there.
That group gives me incompletes as well. It's the only group I've consistenly noticed as missing clusters of articles. I'm not referring to incompletes (pink lines). It's just not grabbing all there is to grab. Purging the cache and downloading the headers again appears to solve the problem temporarily, but after a while the incomplete header/article problem reappears.

I'm using Beta 9.

elite

Post by elite »

The long ritual: Purging, unsubscribing, exiting, restarting, resubscribing, getting all headers...often does look like it's getting all headers. Unfortunately even a brief visit to another group will erase your headers. Evidently NL is not able to save them correctly to the cache file.
Yes I think that is the case - coz low and hehold I did as you said - but this time after purging I exited the program, which i did not do earlier and it worked perfectly. But after afew hours when I went into that group - same problem - it is missing headers (a lot of them). So the exiting does make a difference in clearing up some cache in NL.
It does not take a subsequent update to cause the messages to go missing (at least this is my understanding of Elite’s problem).
Yes - you are correct - that was what was happening earlier - now after exiting it seemed not to happen on the first go. But I only tested that once - have to try it again.
It does not sound like the “a.b.tv problem
I am not sure what the a.b.tv problem was coz I don't use that group. However before I had problems with a.b.mp3.soundtracks I had the same problem wiht a.b.m.vintage-film - that was so bad that out of 50 files only 1 or 2 showed up - I probably missed some and the ones I wanted I got through supersearch. But now that group is working perfectly - this is so weird... :x Another group that is doing this odd behaviour is a.b.cd.image.
Another thing you can try: If you see one header from a group that you want, go to binsearch.info, search for the appropriate text, hit the checkbox, create an .nzb file, and doubleclick it. .
Yes I am using supersearch - but it can become very annoying to do it for a lot of things....

So there is some bug definetley wiht NL

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Try to download http://www.newsleecher.com/nl_a_test.exe and see if it fixes the bug.

Note that you have to purge the cache of the groups which have the problem, before updating.

Cheers
Spiril
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

elite

Post by elite »

Spiril wrote:Try to download http://www.newsleecher.com/nl_a_test.exe and see if it fixes the bug.

Note that you have to purge the cache of the groups which have the problem, before updating.

Cheers
Spiril
Thanks Spiril - I think this version has fixed that problem - well so far no issues!!! and it has been about 12 hrs or so.... :D :D

scca229

Post by scca229 »

Lips wrote:Ok, this got me curious, so I grabbed all of the headers for a.b.tv (10.7 million). AFAICT, no problem with lost headers.
Closed / re-opened NL. Updated the headers for the group.
No problem. The last time I tested a.b.tv for the problem, when it was first discussed here in forum, it was not too difficult to spot.
I for one would LOVE to know how you managed to get NL to download all 10.7 million headers without the program crashing. I typically get about 2 million if I'm lucky before being presented with the ever popular error messages which hang the program completely.

Clean installs don't seem to work very well, at least through Beta 9. About to download Beta 10 to see if this show-stopper bug is fixed or not, but I'm guessing there's more "features" than fixes.

For the ever present reply of "defrag your hard drive", let it go. That's not the problem with the program. That would just cause slower access times to the data, not no access. My NL install is on a 10GB partition created on the outside cylinders of one of the RAID 0 setups on my machine. It's defragged every time NL is closed, just because I like it neat. The size of the NL data files has never equalled half of that space so far.

Nate