FYI - V8B2 speed - Solid State Drives

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
noblemd

FYI - V8B2 speed - Solid State Drives

Post by noblemd » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:14 pm

Windows 10 v.1903

There is no doubt that NewsLeecher V8B2 is optimized to be as fast as possible.

I picked up a 500 GB Intel 660P M2 SSD drive on sale for $56 (US - normally $70).
This drive is rated at 1800 MB/Sec read/write rate.

I have 2 M2 slots on my download computer motherboard (MSI Z170A GAMING M7 - I7-6700).
One M2 slot has a 256GB Western Digital SSD used as a boot drive (C:).
The other M2 slot contains the Intel 660P (drive W:).

I setup the Intel SSD (W:) drive to be both the default download drive (W:\DL_Temp) and the NL temp and data drive (the NewsLeecher data folder is on this drive).

Below are the entries I have in the NewsLeecher INI file (C:\Program Files (x86)\NewsLeecher\newsleecher.ini).

dataFolder=W:\NewsLeecher\data\
tempFolder=W:\NewsLeecher\temp\

When NewsLeecher is downloading files over my 500 Mb/sec (55 MB/sec) connection there are no pauses.
Downloads NEVER pause while waiting for file writing.

The Read/Write capability of this Intel drive is amazing (Note: Samsung 970 EVO M2 SSDs have even higher ratings at a slightly higher cost).

Below is a combined picture of a file copy (at 1.2 GB/Sec) and the NL Status Bar showing my download speed.

steven.rn@gmail.com

Re: FYI - V8B2 speed - Solid State Drives

Post by steven.rn@gmail.com » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:07 am

Tried to add an appropriate Newsleecher.ini file to the directory which solely contained:

dataFolder=C:\NewsLeecher8\data\
tempFolder=C:\NewsLeecher8\temp\

and the beta came up ok, but it didn't have any of my groups and such.

I deleted the file, and the groups came back. Is there a place the proggie sets these variables so that we could change them?

Oh, and thanks much for the tip!

Steve

noblemd

Re: FYI - V8B2 speed - Solid State Drives

Post by noblemd » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:50 pm

For the existing data to be used, the current Data folders must be copied to the folder you are specifying.

NL cannot use data that is not present in the new folders.

Default data folder:

%HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\NewsLeecher

After copying and specifying the folders in the NewsLeecher.ini file all info - groups, registration, and other info will be used by NewsLeecher.

In your example the files & folders from %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\NewsLeecher must be copied to C:\NewsLeecher8\data\

The temp folder in C:NewsLeecher8 should be created automatically.