new computer

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

langeryutz

new computer

Post by langeryutz » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:03 pm

I am an older guy @ 78 so I struggle at times for setup. I have NL on my older computer working fine and am attempting setup on my new. I downloaded new beta and set up internet connections but am getting red "error". I am grandfathered into the old 2.99 plan but that seems non recognizable for the new computer. Can someone please walk me thru new setup and showing the account effectively for me? I appreciate the effort as it is paramount I get the NL onto my new computer, thank you!! :?:

Mibbler

Re: new computer

Post by Mibbler » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:27 am

That's really a question for the folks at NL to answer but I'll give it a shot. I don't know about the old 2.99 plan; what does it buy you? Use of the NewsLeecher program? SuperSearch? Access to NL's Usenet servers? Or all of the above?

What version of NL is working on your old computer? With version 7, use of the program itself became free but SuperSearch/SuperLeech and NL's servers cost. Pretty reasonable, especially compared to what I used to pay for GigaNews, but more than $2.99. If you're running v7, you should be able to get v8 (and v7 if you like) working on your new computer by installing it as normal and then copying NL's Data and Temp directories from the old PC to the new one. That might even work as far back as v4, which had similar Data and Temp directories, but earlier versions were different IIRC.

If you're running v4 or later on the old PC you could try installing v8 on it in a separate directory. DO NOT overwrite the existing version or you may end up with no working version at all. Both can coexist as long as you run only one at a time. Also, you might want to do a backup first just to be sure. If that works then the problem with the new PC is something more obscure such as a wrong port permission setting.
Del Mibbler

scuba
Site Admin

Re: new computer

Post by scuba » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:28 am

langeryutz wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:03 pm
I am an older guy @ 78 so I struggle at times for setup. I have NL on my older computer working fine and am attempting setup on my new. I downloaded new beta and set up internet connections but am getting red "error". I am grandfathered into the old 2.99 plan but that seems non recognizable for the new computer. Can someone please walk me thru new setup and showing the account effectively for me? I appreciate the effort as it is paramount I get the NL onto my new computer, thank you!! :?:
Hi,
pls send submit a ticket to me and i will handle it :)

https://www.newsleecher.com/support/
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.