V8.0 Beta 4 - Leech (Specify) extracts to default Download Folder

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
sus

V8.0 Beta 4 - Leech (Specify) extracts to default Download Folder

Post by sus »

When I use Leech Specify (CTRL+Y) and specify a sub folder it will create the sub folder and place the archives within the specified sub folder. However, when it extracts it moves the extracted files to the default Download Folder. Whereas in previous versions it would both download and extract to the folder you specified in the Leech Specify dialog. My default Unpack Folder is left blank as usual.

noblemd

Re: V8.0 Beta 4 - Leech (Specify) extracts to default Download Folder

Post by noblemd »

LEECH and UNPACK are two different, distinct functions.

Leech Specify LEECHES to the specified folder.

UNPACK unpacks to the default or custom UNPACK FOLDER (as specified in Download/Unpack Folders).

NewsLeecher is operating properly.

If NL previously unpacked to the Leech Specify folder then it was not operating properly and has now been fixed.

You can request a LEECH & UNPACK SPECIFY function (or a separate UNPACK Specify function) in the Wishlist for Santa forum at viewforum.php?f=4.
Windows 10 v.1909
Ryzen 3950 (16 Cores 32 Threads - OC 4.5 GHz)
DeepCool Captain 240 RGB V2, AIO Liquid CPU Cooler (Max Temp 80°C 100% load)
NL download drive: M2 2280 500 GB NVME SSD (1.2 GB/s r/w)
Synology NAS #1: 32 TB RAID 5 (5 x 8 TB Drives)
Synology NAS #2: 18 TB RAID 5 (4 x 6 TB Drives)
500 Mb/s Internet Connection (NL Avg D/L speed 55 MB/s)

TheSiege

Post by TheSiege »

Noblemd, while I appreciate your contributions to this forum, in this case you are incorrect. The extraction folder, when left empty, would default to the download folder for each item. This was the designed behaviour in previous versions, and it was explicitly explained in the tooltip text for the extract location text box too; see the screenshot i uploaded in another related thread.

At present it is always extracting to the *default download folder*, which is totally incorrect behaviour, given that i haven't specified a *default extract folder* at all. It should default to the current download folder for each item, unless a default extract location has explicilty been set.

Having to go moving extracted files back to the. download folder i specified is a chuffing pain in the arse, and it needs fixing.

pka4916

Post by pka4916 »

same problem here.. just posted a new thread for it..
this is really annoying and messing things up

guygg

Post by guygg »

Yes, this has been driving me absolutely crazy. PLEASE bring back the old behavior, being able to just have it extract to the download folder.

pka4916

Post by pka4916 »

I went back to V7. I could not deal with this anymore.
I specify a folder for a reason, not that everything gets dumped in my original folder.
Since this is Beta 4, I don't understand why this is not fixed yet..

SomeUsenetGuy

Post by SomeUsenetGuy »

TheSiege wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:45 am
Noblemd, while I appreciate your contributions to this forum, in this case you are incorrect. The extraction folder, when left empty, would default to the download folder for each item. This was the designed behaviour in previous versions, and it was explicitly explained in the tooltip text for the extract location text box too; see the screenshot i uploaded in another related thread.

At present it is always extracting to the *default download folder*, which is totally incorrect behaviour, given that i haven't specified a *default extract folder* at all. It should default to the current download folder for each item, unless a default extract location has explicilty been set.
Please upvote this.

The fundamental problem we are dealing with is the ability to specify a download folder AND an extract folder at the time of queuing. Since the Leech (specify) dialog only allows input of the "Download Folder", it should be possible to configure the "Unpack Folder" to use the specified download folder. This previously could be done two ways:
  1. Leaving the "Unpack Folder" in settings blank would result in using the default "Download Folder" UNLESS the user specifies a "Custom Folder" while using Leech (Specify). It should then use the folder the user specified.
  2. Setting the "Unpack Folder" in settings to <PAR2 Path> would utilize the default "Download Folder" or "Custom Folder" as specified.
This functionality was very clearly explained in the FAQ except the "Custom Folder" behavior was never explicitly described since it apparently was so intuitive.

Per the "Destination Folders" FAQ:
Spiril wrote: Q : I want "Repair and Extract" to extract RAR archives to the same folders as the archives were downloaded to. Is that possible ?

A : To accomplish that, simply setup the "RAR Extract Folder" on the "Destination Folders" settings dialog to <PAR2 Path>. Or even simpler, just keep the "RAR Extract Folder" edit box empty.
Per the "Destination Folders" Tags post:
Spiril wrote: TAG Identifier : <PAR2 Path>
Available For : Repair & Extract - RAR Extract Path
----
This tag gets replaced with the path of the associated PAR2 in the Repair & Extract list view. So if you have earlier downloaded a PAR2 fileset to disk location, "c:\downloads\podcasts\my.favorite.podcast.s01e01.par2", the tag will be replaced with the text c:\downloads\podcasts\.
V 8.4 Beta no longer recognizes the <PAR2 Path> tag. I suspect in Beta 8.3 or 8.4 when the new "Advanced Unpack Folder Settings" functionality was introduced, the functionality for several tags was accidentally removed.

V8 now has great flexibility to control the unpack/extract folder based on fileset keyword matching, but the price was the removal of several tags.

I agree with pka4916 and others. This is a significant change to the extract folder default functionality and is quite a pain for certain usage patterns. Please implement full tag functionality like before (at least for <PAR2 Path>, if possible.)

Otherwise, thanks for the great software!

psamm

Post by psamm »

V 8.4 Beta no longer recognizes the <PAR2 Path> tag. I suspect in Beta 8.3 or 8.4 when the new "Advanced Unpack Folder Settings" functionality was introduced, the functionality for several tags was accidentally removed.

V8 now has great flexibility to control the unpack/extract folder based on fileset keyword matching, but the price was the removal of several tags.

I agree with pka4916 and others. This is a significant change to the extract folder default functionality and is quite a pain for certain usage patterns. Please implement full tag functionality like before (at least for <PAR2 Path>, if possible.)
Thanks for describing this lost functionality. I've been going nuts trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

This has broken my workflow completely. I now dread downloading items in Newsleecher - I'm going to have to roll back.

Please consider my post as another validation of the issue.

pka4916

Post by pka4916 »

would be nice to hear from the Devs, WHY the heck they took an important feature out.
I'll keep using 7. that one works fine, and is not a PITA

Basaev

Post by Basaev »

This is really annoying and messing things up