Image SuperSearch limited to 7 days

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
bonanno

Image SuperSearch limited to 7 days

Post by bonanno »

About 3 days ago my supersearch (3.7Final) of image category started limiting itself to 7 days. Both the General and Music category still return up to 80 days. Drop down box shows 80 and I've tried the "maxdays" option. Still can't get more than 7 days. I've got 3.5final and 3.5beta2 installed and they do the same thing. Any help will be appreciated.

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

I can't get it to return results older than 7 days too. I think it is a problem with the SuperSearch server, not Newsleecher.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

rustybx

Post by rustybx »

For $30 I was hoping for better.

blue_dragon

Post by blue_dragon »

I didn't notice this, but I just checked, and you are right, I can't get any picture results beyond about 7 days. Using 3.8b2.

edit: just updated to 3.8b3 and the problem is still there, so either it is an un-fixed bug in NewsLeecher or it is a server problem.

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

It is a server problem. The SuperSearch server does not have enough capacity to give a decent retention for the image category
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

Red Dwarf is correct. There are way too many images posted to be able to be able to index them for any real amount of time. I believe there are other services available that strictly index usenet images.

techfuzz

FuzzyDog

Post by FuzzyDog »

Has limiting image searches to 5-7 days been announced somewhere?

I use that feature quite a bit.

If there is a capacity issue, I think this needs to be addressed and new subscribers told that SuperSearch goes back 70 days for non image files only. What will be next to be elimated from searches? How can Spiral be working on adding text searches while not being able to keep up with images? I dont want text indexing added if binaries already can't be kept up with.

If this is temporary, that should be announced as well.

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

FuzzyDog wrote:Has limiting image searches to 5-7 days been announced somewhere?
It's been this way as for as long as SS has been around AFAIK.
FuzzyDog wrote:If there is a capacity issue, I think this needs to be addressed and new subscribers told that SuperSearch goes back 70 days for non image files only. What will be next to be elimated from searches? How can Spiral be working on adding text searches while not being able to keep up with images? I dont want text indexing added if binaries already can't be kept up with.
Nothing should be eliminated, in fact Spiril will probably be bumping up the retention to 90 days or even higher in the near future if the server can take the additional load.

Binary searches are easier because there are less of them. I don't have exact statistics, but I would imagine the number of images posted in 7-10 days is just about equal to the number of indexed binary posts in about 70 days.

techfuzz

FuzzyDog

Post by FuzzyDog »

Sep 24, 2006
We've just performed a major retention upgrade for the SuperSearch service. The 'general' search category and the 'audio' search category now has 100-120 days retention, and the 'pictures' search category has been upgraded to 60-80 days retention.
Excellent : )

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

FuzzyDog wrote:
Sep 24, 2006
We've just performed a major retention upgrade for the SuperSearch service. The 'general' search category and the 'audio' search category now has 100-120 days retention, and the 'pictures' search category has been upgraded to 60-80 days retention.
Excellent : )
;)

techfuzz