What's the difference between SS & Newzbin file search

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Alloneword
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:48 pm
Location: U.K.

What's the difference between SS & Newzbin file search

Post by Alloneword »

As title, what is the difference between using SS or using newzbin "file" search?

AFAIK SS is powered by Newzbin, am I right or wrong?


All1
Image

BlackAle
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:49 am

Post by BlackAle »

SS has nothing to do with Newzbin.

Alloneword
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:48 pm
Location: U.K.

Post by Alloneword »

BlackAle wrote:SS has nothing to do with Newzbin.
How come then when i used to grab files using SS there would always be a mention of www.newzbin.com in the nzb file?


All1
Image

User avatar
Tigggger
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:30 pm

Post by Tigggger »

Alloneword wrote:How come then when i used to grab files using SS there would always be a mention of www.newzbin.com in the nzb file
That's likely to be because newzbin devoloped the nzb file format.

Alloneword
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:48 pm
Location: U.K.

Post by Alloneword »

Tigggger wrote:That's likely to be because newzbin developed the nzb file format.
You say that's likely but do you know for sure because comparing 2 nzb files one grab from newzbin and one from NL they are almost the same, I know they will be close as there pointing to same stuff, but why would NL SS results have the same mention of "http://www.newzbin.com" except where Newzbins version also says "Generated at http://www.newzbin.com" ?

Maybe I should have put my question different, maybe it should have said something on the lines of what can SS find that Newzbin can't?

Is it just a case of NL using NewzBin's engine/results call it what you want I'm sure you get my drift, can someone give me an example of where NL SS has found something Newzbin has failed to find?

Yea I know I'm making something out of nothing probably and if so I'll stop this line of questions, but if you don't ask you never know do you, any chance of a definitive answer.


All1
Image

User avatar
Tigggger
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:30 pm

Post by Tigggger »

Alloneword wrote:You say that's likely but do you know for sure because comparing 2 nzb files one grab from newzbin and one from NL they are almost the same, I know they will be close as there pointing to same stuff, but why would NL SS results have the same mention of "http://www.newzbin.com" except where Newzbins version also says "Generated at http://www.newzbin.com" ?
Because NewzBin developed the format, the mention is probably a copyright type comment, or just as a courtesy to them.
Alloneword wrote:Maybe I should have put my question different, maybe it should have said something on the lines of what can SS find that Newzbin can't?
That depends which usenet providers they are using for their feeds, newzbin last I remember does not take a feed from giganews, spiril almost certainly does. This is born out by the fact that SS often comes up with things that Newzbin doesn't. If you want a specific example do a search on both for "without_a_trace_season_3_d3a" you will see no results on newzbin.

dwazegek
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3006
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:36 am

Post by dwazegek »

As Tiggger said, newzbin developed the NZB XML format, so every NZB file should have at least a reference to newzbin for the NZB specifications. This is common practice for XML, so that if someone wants to use an already existing XML document format they can easily find the up to date definitions of that format.
Forum's Grammar Nazi:
I will hunt you down if you don't lose the extra o.

Alloneword
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:48 pm
Location: U.K.

Post by Alloneword »

OK so your saying it's a credit to newzbin to some degree.

BUT I have done as Tigggger has suggested and searched for
without_a_trace_season_3_d3a
and NL SS finds it fine but so does NewzBin (using file search) plus so does Binsearch.

So I am looking for a reason as too why I should go down SS route when it seems it offers nothing over NewzBin or Binsearch at the end of the day they all have a search function and can all produce you with a nzb file and as i say they seem to give same result, I know SS has an advantage over the other 2 as it's built into app but come on guys this ain't worth $30.

I'm not trying to pick a fight but given recent developments here I'm left with no option but too justify why i should spend another $30 for something i can get for free elsewhere, I hope you see where i'm coming from and at the end of the day all i want to know is why i should go for SS over anything else that may be out there.


All1
Image

User avatar
Tigggger
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:30 pm

Post by Tigggger »

Alloneword wrote:BUT I have done as Tigggger has suggested and searched for
without_a_trace_season_3_d3a
and NL SS finds it fine but so does NewzBin (using file search) plus so does Binsearch.
My bad, my filters had hidden that on newzbin :oops:

User avatar
Smudge
Site Admin
Posts: 10034
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:42 am

Post by Smudge »

alloneword: yes there are alternatives to SS out there, some cheap and some free. SS is nice because it is very fast and integrated right inside NewsLeecher.

I for one don't like having to switch over to my web browser, launch the website, search for the files, queue the files, save the nzb and wait for NL to import it. Simply switching to the SS tab, running a quick search and queuing the files right from there is a great feature.

This is even more of a convenience when running NewsLeecher over the internet via remote desktop. RD is so slow that doing all the steps above would drive you nuts. Having the SS tab is much quicker.

Now it is up to you to determine if such a convenience is worth the money. For me, I don't mind paying a few bucks for convenience.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Alloneword
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:48 pm
Location: U.K.

Post by Alloneword »

I have to agree with you 100% Smudge it is a great feature indeed and i've love it, but is it worth $30?
Not to me and others right now, not at that price anyway.

As i've said before i'm happy running 2.3 Final and all i need is the option to update SS, but as that option is not open to me right now (hopefully that will change) I have to look at other options and this is why i'm asking is SS any different then doing a search in Newzbin using file search feature?

I hope you can see what i'm asking here, it is late for me, soory if i sound mixed up.


All1
Image

lensman
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:55 pm

Post by lensman »

The other difference, which should be mentioned, is that SuperSearch indexes all posts, while Newzbin only includes what their "editors" add. This can be a significant difference if you are looking for something relatively obscure.

Lensman

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3982
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:25 am

Post by Red Dwarf »

lensman wrote:The other difference, which should be mentioned, is that SuperSearch indexes all posts, while Newzbin only includes what their "editors" add. This can be a significant difference if you are looking for something relatively obscure.

Lensman
As is mentioned before in this thread that is not true. On the newzbin site you can search for files directly, you're not limited to what the editors add.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

lensman
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:55 pm

Post by lensman »

Red Dwarf wrote:
lensman wrote:The other difference, which should be mentioned, is that SuperSearch indexes all posts, while Newzbin only includes what their "editors" add. This can be a significant difference if you are looking for something relatively obscure.

Lensman
As is mentioned before in this thread that is not true. On the newzbin site you can search for files directly, you're not limited to what the editors add.
Well, it's been awhile since I was a member, so they must have changed how they do their indexing.

Lensman

max2
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 1:52 am

Post by max2 »

Red Dwarf wrote:
lensman wrote:The other difference, which should be mentioned, is that SuperSearch indexes all posts, while Newzbin only includes what their "editors" add. This can be a significant difference if you are looking for something relatively obscure.

Lensman
As is mentioned before in this thread that is not true. On the newzbin site you can search for files directly, you're not limited to what the editors add.
Yep Red Dwarf is right all you have to do is use the files view on v2 newzbin website or Usenet file view on v3 newzbin website.

That way you search all files on usenet no matter if a editor accepted them and made them into a post or not.

There is a way to search only unedited post that editors didn't make as a post yet.

Post Reply