What's the difference between SS & Newzbin file search

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
max2

Post by max2 »

lensman wrote:
Red Dwarf wrote:
lensman wrote:The other difference, which should be mentioned, is that SuperSearch indexes all posts, while Newzbin only includes what their "editors" add. This can be a significant difference if you are looking for something relatively obscure.

Lensman
As is mentioned before in this thread that is not true. On the newzbin site you can search for files directly, you're not limited to what the editors add.
Well, it's been awhile since I was a member, so they must have changed how they do their indexing.

Lensman

Nothing has changed its been like this forever. Most people just don't know about the Files Search View or Usenet Search View.

Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

OK so the bottom line is SS and newzbin (file search) will always give the same results, just so long as on newzbin you have no groups excluded.

Do i have it right?

All1

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

They both support the popular groups. But if you compare the list of groups they support, you'll most likely find some diffenrences.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

max2

Post by max2 »

Alloneword wrote:OK so the bottom line is SS and newzbin (file search) will always give the same results, just so long as on newzbin you have no groups excluded.

Do i have it right?

All1

Yes

Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

max2 thanks for that, oh well no point in renewing unless they do the suggested 3 years for the price of one for returning customers as mentioned in other section.

All1

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Alloneword wrote:max2 thanks for that, oh well no point in renewing unless they do the suggested 3 years for the price of one for returning customers as mentioned in other section.

All1

That's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Working on a cheaper SuperSearch service, which doesn't use the NewsLeecher interface, is on my todo. It's a big project though, and I got *tons* of stuff on the todo already.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

[quote][/quote]

Check pm.

max2

Post by max2 »

Spiril wrote:
Alloneword wrote:max2 thanks for that, oh well no point in renewing unless they do the suggested 3 years for the price of one for returning customers as mentioned in other section.

All1

That's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Working on a cheaper SuperSearch service, which doesn't use the NewsLeecher interface, is on my todo. It's a big project though, and I got *tons* of stuff on the todo already.
Awesome.

That will be nice when it is complete! I know it has not been started yet.

I like how you do everything yourself! That way you know the code forward and backwards to fix things if need be.

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek »

I just realised that newzbin is accepting new members again, so I finally went and signed up. Now I can finally get rid of the increasingly annoying FTD.

Anyway, after stumbling through the wiki a while and customising everything to my liking, I'm left with one thing I want to make sure.
Under the user preferences it's possible to filter out all states except for the desired ones. Seeing as my server has more than ample retention, I'm really only interested in completed posts, so I don't have to wait for them to finish and I can begin downloading immediately.
So, my question is, after posts are marked as completed, is the report age reset to the 0 hours again, or are they marked as unseen?
I'd like to only browse the new posts sorted by report age, but in the case a post is reported as uploading and only completes (e.g.) a few days later, will it then show up again at the top of the list, or does it remain at its first reported age?
Forum's Grammar Nazi:
I will hunt you down if you don't lose the extra o.

Packrat55555

Post by Packrat55555 »

Working on a cheaper SuperSearch service, which doesn't use the NewsLeecher interface, is on my todo. It's a big project though, and I got *tons* of stuff on the todo already.[/quote]

What good is supersearch if you have to use a different program to download the files. NZB is a total waste of time when you have newleecher and supersearch working together.