Giganews 240 days of retention

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
kevinivek

Giganews 240 days of retention

Post by kevinivek »

Will supersearch be updated to accommodate this?

Tcalp

Post by Tcalp »

I just got that notice aswell :) (... sweet ...)

But yes, I'm sure newsleecher will be updated to support futher search retention, mind you it would be nice if it went upto 280 days or something being that often in certain groups the actual retention held is longer then stated by giganews.

Monty47

Post by Monty47 »

it's about time newsleecher upgraded :(

NoFear1183

Giganews now has 240 days retention

Post by NoFear1183 »

Their website now advertises 240 days retention. Hopefully Newsleecher will have an update soon.

undac

Post by undac »

Why not have a custom value that we can set up in the option dialogues?

Well, anyway, this needs to be implemented. :)

NoFear1183

Post by NoFear1183 »

That isn't a bad idea. Leave the field blank and the user types in the age. Either or doesn't matter. I got excited seeing the new beta and then saw this hasn't been changed. Hopefully you guys are working on this...

undac

Post by undac »

Yeah also downloaded the new beta today and was quite annoyed to find that this wasn't added...

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

We are working on a new SuperSearch engine that will be able to hold a LOT more but it will not be available until a 64bit version of the Delphi compiler is available in early 2009.

Currently the SuperSearch limitation (190 days general, 75 days erotic) is due to the amount of memory used by the index and that it is built in a 32bit environment. As soon as we can switch to 64bit, there is the posibility of thousands of days indexed, not that any news provider would have that kind of rentention.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Rain

Post by Rain »

Wait, SuperSearch is coded in Delphi?

WizADSL

Post by WizADSL »

Rain wrote:Wait, SuperSearch is coded in Delphi?
I don;t know about the search back end, but newsleecher itself is. There's nothing wrong with that...

max2

Post by max2 »

Once again newsleecher fails to stay ahead of the game. Thankfully newzbin learned their lesson and did this go around. I know newzbin is not a newsreader but it is similar to supersearch. If newsleecher was smart they would of been proactive and prepared for a retention upgrade by giganews. It always happens and will happen again. I bet the next time newsleecher will be behind again by the time they just caught up.

Dr. Grinch

Post by Dr. Grinch »

max2 wrote: I bet the next time newsleecher will be behind again by the time they just caught up.
What, when we go to 128-Bit Operating Systems?
Once they go 64-Bit there will be no issue.

Tig

Post by Tig »

max2 wrote:If newsleecher was smart they would of been proactive and prepared for a retention upgrade by giganews. It always happens and will happen again. I bet the next time newsleecher will be behind again by the time they just caught up.
Yeah, come on guys, how sloppy is that!! I mean, next time you see such a problem, write your own Delphi compiler ;-)

What it is about whining before reading?

cruzlee

You know..

Post by cruzlee »

You know what would be sweet? Newzbin integration.
Type in a postnumber and RnE does the rest.
(you can see check SABnzbd to see how it's done)

I know they are somewhat of a 'competitor' but it would be frakkin' great.

Sterling-Dragon

Post by Sterling-Dragon »

max2 wrote:Once again newsleecher fails to stay ahead of the game. Thankfully newzbin learned their lesson and did this go around. I know newzbin is not a newsreader but it is similar to supersearch. If newsleecher was smart they would of been proactive and prepared for a retention upgrade by giganews. It always happens and will happen again. I bet the next time newsleecher will be behind again by the time they just caught up.
Since you seem to be so brutal in your criticism, may I suggest coding your own apps? 40 a year equates to approximately three dollars a month (three and one third). This is not a ridiculous sum, for the quality one receives. Additionally, since we're on the subject of being smart, your phrase, "...they would of..." should be replaced with "...they should HAVE..." Remember that this is an application that takes time to write, troubleshoot, and update/upgrade. Rather that bitch and piss and moan about what you're not getting, offer a suggestion as to how to correct. This kind of post helps no one.
When rational thought precedes action, justice almost invariably prevails.