SuperSearch retention at 145 days max. Edit: 149 days max.

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
khoafish

SuperSearch retention at 145 days max. Edit: 149 days max.

Post by khoafish »

I have noticed the retention is now only 145 days. I have tried many searches for common terms, "Star Trek", "Stargate", etc. All max out at 145 days. I even limit the minimum age at 120 days.
Any admin able to shed light on this? Any other user got the same issue?

Edit: it's actually at 149 days max.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

You can see the current retention level at http://www.newsleecher.com/ss.php which is showing 150 days for general and 75 for erotic.

The lower retention is due to the millions of virus/trojans that have been posted in the last month or so. Spiril is working on a filtering system so that these are not added to the server index.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

khoafish

Post by khoafish »

The problem was that I didn't know where to go to find out the retention limit. Where on the main Newsleecher website do I find that link?

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

That page isn't linked from the main site but only from within the forums.
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

avnyc11

Post by avnyc11 »

any eta available as usent providers are now spooling to 400 days and are currently 230+
tia

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

As posted on the News section of the main website.

SuperSearch Retention
Lots of you have asked us to increase the retention of SuperSearch, as many usenet providers have announced upcoming usenet retention increases, reaching as far as 250 days and more.
Up till now we've said that we could not increase the retention of SuperSearch until, probably, late 2009, due to some technical limitations.

Good news! We're found a work-around way, that will enable us to increase the SuperSearch retention to keep up with the usenet providers offering the longest retention.
We'll look into the SuperSearch retention upgrade as soon as the initial NewsLeecher Version 4 beta is official.

Tig

Post by Tig »

Smudge wrote: We'll look into the SuperSearch retention upgrade as soon as the initial NewsLeecher Version 4 beta is official.
Am I the only one who would rather have a stable, with 200+ retention than play around with a new version that'll suffer the same problems with SS?

khoafish

Post by khoafish »

Tig wrote:
Smudge wrote: We'll look into the SuperSearch retention upgrade as soon as the initial NewsLeecher Version 4 beta is official.
Am I the only one who would rather have a stable, with 200+ retention than play around with a new version that'll suffer the same problems with SS?
Hear, hear.

max2

Post by max2 »

khoafish wrote:
Tig wrote:
Hear, hear.
I third that.