Supersearch Lack of Search options

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
daleidat

Supersearch Lack of Search options

Post by daleidat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:57 pm

I have tried Newsleacher beta 5.3 and 5.5, and I am still as confused as before, as to the lack of search options.

There are no Poster Select Search option
no Group Search option
no Min Kb option
no Max Kb option
no Min Days option

I have tried right clicking in every Conceivable spare part of the screen, I have got a 24 inch Wide screen monitor and believe me, there are a lot of spaces you can right click on. It Is’nt as though I have just started using Newsleecher, I have been a user since 2004. I did not use all the previous series beta's , but stayed on version 3.9 until version 4 final was released. It now looks as though I will do the same series 5. You cannot have users getting used to a particular formula or set up and then expect them to change it overnight. That is a Microsoft trick

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:02 am

At the bottom of the Search History pull down menu is the Advanced Search option. You can get to it quickly by pressing F3 twice. This is available in the Articles, Queue, and SuperSearch screens.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

unfrostedpoptart

Post by unfrostedpoptart » Wed May 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Smudge wrote:At the bottom of the Search History pull down menu is the Advanced Search option. You can get to it quickly by pressing F3 twice. This is available in the Articles, Queue, and SuperSearch screens.
Please tell me how to exclude a poster from a SS. I've tried -Poster:xxx and Poster:-xxx and a few other variations but can't get any of them to work.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Thu May 12, 2011 7:27 pm

Currently you can only exclude subject keywords. A future version may allow other exclusions for poster and group
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

unfrostedpoptart

Post by unfrostedpoptart » Fri May 13, 2011 11:11 pm

Smudge wrote:Currently you can only exclude subject keywords. A future version may allow other exclusions for poster and group
That's not good :( What about anchors in subject searches? How can I search (and exclude) a subject that ends in ".rar" - \.rar$ in regexp?

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Sat May 14, 2011 6:47 am

Sorry but that isn't possible either.

Vash

Post by Vash » Mon May 16, 2011 2:03 am

What about crossposter. I only want to see Posters, that post to the specified Group and not those who post several Groups. Is it possible to exclude those?

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Tue May 17, 2011 10:26 pm

Again, sorry. SuperSearch doesn't have that feature.

It is possible to filter crossposted files (Settings>Group Browsing screen. Filter>Crosspost button) if you download the group headers.

Voyager2k

Post by Voyager2k » Sat May 28, 2011 6:47 am

You know, these are (in part) "features" I requested 6 months ago when the excessive spam bot usage began in early december. Just a minor set of additional client side filters to get rid of the incredible amount of spam but so far ... nothing. 6 months and still no way to get rid of those spam attacks.

Hell, Spiril could at the very least delete those posts from the SS database manually. Not like the posters are very smart about it. But, searching for a single thing using SS now you often have to dig through literally thousands of spam posts. If you use SS for daily "update searches" on quite a number of search expressions .... guess what ..... with no way of getting rid of the spam it takes me up to 5 times as long to go through the results even tho it'd be so easy to add a few additional result filters to fix it.

With the current amounts of spam SS is no fun to use, really. It's annoying as f*ck and not even getting a hint of a fix for the spam problem doesn't make things any better. 6 months ago Spiril talked about a new spam filter that'd be coming "soon" ..... well ? Spiril ?

the doctor

F3 double tap to show Advanced Filters window

Post by the doctor » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:48 pm

Just push the F3 twice to bring up the Advanced search options.

Very easy to get used to and does not take up space on bar. Also easier to enter search items.

I believe this was implemented in beta 4 or 5. Works in beta 6 for sure.

Voyager2k

Re: F3 double tap to show Advanced Filters window

Post by Voyager2k » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:23 am

the doctor wrote:Just push the F3 twice to bring up the Advanced search options.

Very easy to get used to and does not take up space on bar. Also easier to enter search items.

I believe this was implemented in beta 4 or 5. Works in beta 6 for sure.
That only allows entering the filters NL had for ages. There is no way to filter poster, group, posting host, path etc. and those would be the ones to effectively filter spam bot attacks as they happen since 7 months now. It'd be best if one could enter multiple filters like that (stack them so to say) to get rid of multiple attacks and keep them stored (maybe make them selectable via some menu).

But it'd seem this is not an important feature anymore these days because by far the most users depend on nzb's and nzb posting/indexing sites now. Hardly anyone browses groups or uses "complicated" searches anymore. Instead ppl download nzb's and complain like mad on those nzb indexing sites :)

Oh well ..... maybe Spiril will add those few filters for old times sake ? For old old school users like myself ^^

seaweedsl

WOW! Good job at hiding advanced search

Post by seaweedsl » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:04 pm

Smudge wrote:At the bottom of the Search History pull down menu is the Advanced Search option. You can get to it quickly by pressing F3 twice. This is available in the Articles, Queue, and SuperSearch screens.
Whenever Newsleecher "updated" to this new improved interface, I was stumped, searched for the valuable "advanced search" and could not find it. I spent the requisite half hour trying to find help on this buried feature and found out how. OK, it's buried now in the new improved version but at least it still exists!

Now, many months later, I forgot how to find it. I just spent another half hour scouring the interface and options for the advanced search. Then I read the forum's supersearch help thread to no avail.

Finally, I found this thread. Simply amazing. Not only do you hide a very useful feature in a completely non-sensical place (Advanced search is under Search History????) but you also fail to note that you have done this in the supposed help section for supersearch. It's been replaced with something (search bookmarks bar?) else that I suppose people who live on the forums would know what it is for.

I like this program and have paid a lot over the years for it, but your help section is worst in class and your interface has gotten progressively sillier. I now have THREE dedicated buttons on my menu bar for changing the interface colors. Very important! I change colors several times every time I open Newsleecher. I've got three ways to get to options, where other programs somehow make do with one. But then a critical feature of your "killer app" (supersearch) is buried for "screen space" so that instead, I now have a blank bar that says " supersearch bookmarks bar".....well, this is obviously the work of people who have no idea what user's priorities are. Maybe a power user will memorize this as a work-around to the interface silliness, but not everybody is a power user.

Another comment; I use the schedular often changing the hours (even more often than I change gui colors!) frequently. Truly it's the other key feature that makes me keep paying for NL. You did a decent job of making that harder to find and use as well.

Anyway, the colors are easy to change.