super search server specs

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
dwazegek
Forum Moderator

super search server specs

Post by dwazegek »

got this out of a different thread:
Spiril wrote:In case anyone cares, the specs for the server are: Dual Xeon 2.8GHz, 2 SCSI raid disks and 4GB ram. Enough to cover quite a few super search searches! :D
nice :)
what size disks does the server have? and raid 0 or 1 (i'd say 1, but just checking ;))?

i remember the old super search core used to update every 20 mins, but the new one seems to update more often, is this true (if so, how often)?

and is a 50 day retention still on the roadmap, or is 21 days the longest we'll see? doesn't matter much for me, my server only has 21 days, but for the giganews users 50 days would be nice

Spiril
Site Admin

Re: super search server specs

Post by Spiril »

dwazegek wrote: what size disks does the server have? and raid 0 or 1 (i'd say 1, but just checking ;))?
And you're absolutely correct! :) RAID1 is what it uses.
dwazegek wrote: i remember the old super search core used to update every 20 mins, but the new one seems to update more often, is this true (if so, how often)?
Every 10 minutes atm. But if I optimize it a bit further I can get it down to a couple of minutes. Not sure if that is really necessary though. A 10 minute delay is ok with me anyway!

dwazegek wrote: and is a 50 day retention still on the roadmap, or is 21 days the longest we'll see? doesn't matter much for me, my server only has 21 days, but for the giganews users 50 days would be nice
Hmm, it really depends on how much load the new engine puts on the server when the retention gets higher. I'll start with 21 days and if everything runs smoothly, I'll bump the retention to at least 30 days. And maybe end up with 50 days if needed.

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Re: super search server specs

Post by dwazegek »

thanks! :)
10 mins should be often enough, 20 mins felt a bit slow, but a 10 min delay is hardly noticable

Meester[NL]

Post by Meester[NL] »

50 days would be nice ass well. Sometimes i still have to fetch headers. :(

Meester[nl] (a happy SS user)