No response from SuperSearch after selecting articles for do

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
ablair

Post by ablair »

working for me now too

loracweb

Post by loracweb »

I had this problem on an intermittent basis in 2.b5. If I selected say 40 articles at once to d\l, it would time out. If I dropped it down to 20 it would work ok. I haven't seen it yet in 2.b6, of course i'm not actually getting any results for my searches this morning...

DiMarco

Post by DiMarco »

Ssearch is down again, I have the same problems regarding large amounts of data, mostly with dvd's.
When selecting the whole bounch it won't leech, but selecting a subset
it will leech.
Even with version 6

Superdisk

Re: No response from SuperSearch after selecting articles fo

Post by Superdisk »

Hakkie wrote: It would be nice to have the option of making NZB's from the SuperSearch list. At least we can download then, even in a situation as the one I have now, without having to use the normal search and/or other ways of getting an NZB...
Yeah, that would be very usefull

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek »

Superdisk wrote:
Hakkie wrote: It would be nice to have the option of making NZB's from the SuperSearch list. At least we can download then, even in a situation as the one I have now, without having to use the normal search and/or other ways of getting an NZB...
put the files in the download queue and export them to nzb from there...

Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

True.... the SS is VERY inconsistent.
Hope this will be solved in the near future.
I'm a PROUD :lol: registered user as well, and i think most of us have purchased this program to use the SS function so i really hope they can get their act together.....

Special grtz to the Dutchies....
Zijn er wel veel :)

Desiree

Post by Desiree »

Hakkie wrote:At this moment I do not get a response from the server when selecting (Ctrl-D) marked articles for download. ...
I have the same problem but....
Try selecting fewer files, not all the files you want to download and super search works fine.
Today I search for the movie Toy_Story_1. The movie was found. ctrl-a to select all the files to download came up with an eror, selecting 10 or 15 files, at once, worked fine. So I selected a few files each time and the download starts :-)

Hakkie

Post by Hakkie »

Dwazegek, maffe hollander :)
The problem in this particular situation is that SS does find articles, but selected articles do NOT get transferred to the download queue because of a timeout. Again, in such a case being able to make a NZB from the SS screen would be usefull!
dwazegek wrote:
Superdisk wrote:
put the files in the download queue and export them to nzb from there...

Desiree

Post by Desiree »

Hakkie wrote:Dwazegek, maffe hollander :)
The problem in this particular situation is that SS does find articles, but selected articles do NOT get transferred to the download queue because of a timeout. Again, in such a case being able to make a NZB from the SS screen would be usefull!
Yes, this would be very usefull 8)

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek »

agreed that a direct link would be nice, but if they timeout when moving the files to the downloadqueue, they'll also timeout when exporting them to a nzb ;)
Forum's Grammar Nazi:
I will hunt you down if you don't lose the extra o.

Hakkie

Post by Hakkie »

dwazegek wrote:
agreed that a direct link would be nice, but if they timeout when moving the files to the downloadqueue, they'll also timeout when exporting them to a nzb ;)
OK then. But now I think it's strange that NL needs to contact the server when creating a NZB?? :roll: The SSearch for articles (in this case) has completed succesfully, so the list of articles is there. Still the server is needed for exporting them to a NZB file? Sure there is a logical explanation for this, but I can't think of one right now. :P Unless the NZB export is not coded into NL, but is running in the server...?

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek »

Hakkie wrote:OK then. But now I think it's strange that NL needs to contact the server when creating a NZB?? :roll: The SSearch for articles (in this case) has completed succesfully, so the list of articles is there. Still the server is needed for exporting them to a NZB file? Sure there is a logical explanation for this, but I can't think of one right now. :P Unless the NZB export is not coded into NL, but is running in the server...?
not that strange if you understand how ss works. when you do a search the super search server only returns the bare essentials (e.g. the subject line, filesize, number of available articles, total number of articles, date, poster, basically only the stuff you see on the screen). when you queue the articles, newsleecher does a request for the message-ids for the selected files and the super search server returns them. to export to nzb you need those message-ids as well, so the same would happen as when you enqueue the files.
the reason for this is to reduce server load, reduce the server's upload and it's faster. say you do a search for something and super search returns 5000 files, each consisting of 200 parts. if super search were to return everything it knows about these files, you'd essentialy be downloading 1.000.000 headers. seeing as it's highly unlikely that you need all of the files the overhead (and thus the wasted server time and bandwidth) would be huge. as it is the server only returns 5000 files, with minimal info, the leecher selects the files he needs, resulting in much more effiecient use of the server and far less bandwidth.

ps. this is just the basic idea, i might have missed something or made few mistakes with the details, but the general idea is there
Forum's Grammar Nazi:

Hakkie

Post by Hakkie »

dwazegek wrote:
Hakkie wrote:OK then. But now I think it's strange that NL needs to contact the server when creating a NZB?? :roll: The SSearch for articles (in this case) has completed succesfully, so the list of articles is there. Still the server is needed for exporting them to a NZB file? Sure there is a logical explanation for this, but I can't think of one right now. :P Unless the NZB export is not coded into NL, but is running in the server...?
not that strange if you understand how ss works. when you do a search the super search server only returns the bare essentials (e.g. the subject line, filesize, number of available articles, total number of articles, date, poster, basically only the stuff you see on the screen). when you queue the articles, newsleecher does a request for the message-ids for the selected files and the super search server returns them. to export to nzb you need those message-ids as well, so the same would happen as when you enqueue the files.
the reason for this is to reduce server load, reduce the server's upload and it's faster. say you do a search for something and super search returns 5000 files, each consisting of 200 parts. if super search were to return everything it knows about these files, you'd essentialy be downloading 1.000.000 headers. seeing as it's highly unlikely that you need all of the files the overhead (and thus the wasted server time and bandwidth) would be huge. as it is the server only returns 5000 files, with minimal info, the leecher selects the files he needs, resulting in much more effiecient use of the server and far less bandwidth.

ps. this is just the basic idea, i might have missed something or made few mistakes with the details, but the general idea is there
Makes sense after all! :lol: Thanks for explaining.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

dwazegek wrote:
Agreed. The dependability of SSearch is what is necessary. Less timeouts from server problems is needed. Not the idea of using a workaround (not that this is a workaround). I'm sure this is not news to Spiril, as poor dependablily, especially when this is not beta and is a pay service, will cause much complaining and certainly less sales.
AFA less timeouts and on a subject related to the server & SSearch: I'd also really like to see access to this forum work not only faster, but with less unable to access - server is busy or overloaded error messages.
I hope this is not really OT here, as it does seem related to me.

--
Lips

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek »

Lips wrote:Agreed. The dependability of SSearch is what is necessary. Less timeouts from server problems is needed. Not the idea of using a workaround (not that this is a workaround). I'm sure this is not news to Spiril, as poor dependablily, especially when this is not beta and is a pay service, will cause much complaining and certainly less sales.
AFA less timeouts and on a subject related to the server & SSearch: I'd also really like to see access to this forum work not only faster, but with less unable to access - server is busy or overloaded error messages.
I hope this is not really OT here, as it does seem related to me.

--
Lips
i expect the stability of ss (and the forum) to go up when ss goes final, then there'll only be a limited group of users who'll be able to use it, so serverload should drop quite a bit.
and have you noticed that everytime ss goes down the forum gets weird as well. i've seen the same thing happen a few times on the ftd forum, ftd goes down, people go to the forums and that server gets overloaded as well. although ss might still be on the same server as the nl-forum (can't remember if that was changed), but every time ss goes down, there are suddenly a LOT more users on the forum as well (wonder why... ;))
Forum's Grammar Nazi: