Super search and latest beta

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
wolffsed

Super search and latest beta

Post by wolffsed »

I've registered NL yesterday and downloaded V2RC1 assuming that this is the latest beta version.

Quick question: Should the "Super Search" feature work OK with this version?

There is nothing happening on my side in this regard... :?

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Re: Super search and latest beta

Post by dwazegek »

wolffsed wrote:I've registered NL yesterday and downloaded V2RC1 assuming that this is the latest beta version.

Quick question: Should the "Super Search" feature work OK with this version?

There is nothing happening on my side in this regard... :?
it should work, worked this morning (about 4 1/2 hours ago)
Forum's Grammar Nazi:
I will hunt you down if you don't lose the extra o.

wolffsed

Post by wolffsed »

dwazegek wrote:it should work, worked this morning (about 4 1/2 hours ago)
OK...
So could you let me know if there any special setup things to be considered? I can connect to EasyNews and download headers and files from there without any problems. But for the "Super Search"-tab it says that things are loaded and that's it... I'm behind a personal firewall (Outpost 2.5)... Is there something to be taken into account?

02.12.2004 15:32:06 edit:
do I need to pay for this service? somewhere? somehow? I've just installed the software and inserted my reg-details.

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek »

wolffsed wrote:
dwazegek wrote:it should work, worked this morning (about 4 1/2 hours ago)
OK...
So could you let me know if there any special setup things to be considered? I can connect to EasyNews and download headers and files from there without any problems. But for the "Super Search"-tab it says that things are loaded and that's it... I'm behind a personal firewall (Outpost 2.5)... Is there something to be taken into account?

02.12.2004 15:32:06 edit:
do I need to pay for this service? somewhere? somehow? I've just installed the software and inserted my reg-details.
you might need to configure newsleecher for your firewall (in the options menu), but seeing as you can download normally your firewall settings should be correct. other than that super search requires no additional configuration (you don't even need to connect to a server to be able to search (if you want to download you obviously would need to connect))
super search will become a pay service once it goes final, but seeing as is hasn't gone final yet everyone (even unreg'd users) can use it
do you get an error message while searching? if you can't see any results make sure the filter field is empty.
Forum's Grammar Nazi:

wolffsed

Post by wolffsed »

well, fact is everything is greyed out in Super Search...

On the Super Search tab I can read: [initializing]
On the newsleecher super search bar it says: loading super search setup data from newsleecher.com

but there is no activity... :(

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

That means the Super Search hasn't been able to reach the SS server. You need to allow the following ports in your router/firewall for NL to operate properly.

119 TCP Inbound
119 TCP Outbound
80 TCP Outbound
4240 TCP Outbound

wolffsed

Post by wolffsed »

:)
Thanks, at least there is some movement going on now...

What is the SS server? I've noticed an entry in the settings of the news-server where one can tick "use for super search"... I thought it's not my newsserver itself which is used for doing the searches...?

and as far as I can see there are some more ports required, especially in the 1400 range...!??

any comments?

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

Nl has 2 types of search features.

The Search tab does XPAT requests to your news server. Fewer and fewer servers are supporting this as it is a big load on the server. This is where the "Use for server search" checkbox in the server setup comes into play.

The Super Search tab does a search on Spiril's private server. This is a very fast search from it's own database. This is where you need port 4240 open.

wolffsed

Post by wolffsed »

Isn't it necessary to define Spiril's server somewhere?
NL listen on a few ports now, but there seems to be now connection and there deifnitely is now download of data...

Thanks for your help anyway!

wolffsed

Post by wolffsed »

After having downloaded V2RC2 I still cannot use super search... :(

Could someone who can please explain in detail how things are supposed to work? Or is there any helpfile available indicating how to do it - I could not find anything yet.

arneo

Post by arneo »

wolffsed wrote:After having downloaded V2RC2 I still cannot use super search... :(

Could someone who can please explain in detail how things are supposed to work?
Ehmm install program and just try it.. (Super search)
wolffsed wrote:Or is there any helpfile available indicating how to do it - I could not find anything yet.
Hmm help file .. i use mostly the forum-search..
You might wanna try cleanup your pc first with ad-aware and be sure it's virus/trojan free... disable all firewalls .. (also the windows xp `1)
start (run) a program called "msconfig" there you can enable/disable programs on startup ..
Well if it works... then enable all the *hit 1 by 1 ...

You could explain how you are connected to the internet.. (direct, trough a harware firewall or proxy.. and so on)
Well i don't know when i will be reading this thread again .. Ciao

update: Some dutch(nederlands) NL help for translation Babelfish
-=- .nl-registerd 24-6-2004 5:30am -=-

wolffsed

Post by wolffsed »

I still don't quite understand how super search is supposed to work...

1 are you saying that you don't need to push the connect button? super search starts automatically when you start the program?

2 as far as I can tell there is no activity caused by NL except when I hit the connect button. Then the software goes out and connects to my defined NNTP-server... where is "Spiril's server" then?

3 I'm using Outpost 2.5 - but switching it off did not change the behaviour of NL

4 I'm connecting to the Internet in Germany via DSL

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek »

wolffsed wrote:1 are you saying that you don't need to push the connect button? super search starts automatically when you start the program?
superearch has its own server, so there is no need to connect to a usenet server for searching
wolffsed wrote:2 as far as I can tell there is no activity caused by NL except when I hit the connect button. Then the software goes out and connects to my defined NNTP-server... where is "Spiril's server" then?
don't know where this server is, but it's hardcoded into newsleecher, so no settings are needed
wolffsed wrote: 3 I'm using Outpost 2.5 - but switching it off did not change the behaviour of NL
do you have any other firewalls or similar software running (don't forget the windows xp firewall), also make sure the previousle mentioned ports are open

when you start up newsleecher or do a super search do you get any kind of error or message (such as, "couldn't connect to super search server")?
Forum's Grammar Nazi:

wolffsed

Post by wolffsed »

dwazegek wrote:when you start up newsleecher or do a super search do you get any kind of error or message (such as, "couldn't connect to super search server")?
No, no message there. It says "waiting" but there is no action. NL just listens on variying UDP-ports.

The requested ports are definitely opened up for NL.

I'm at a loss.. :cry:

t3chw00di

supersearch

Post by t3chw00di »

I would try disabling your firewall completely and try using supersearch again. Maybe you've missed a port or something. At least that will tell you if it's a firewall issue or not. Supersearch works fine for me with ZoneAlarm.