why 3 SS groups?

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Erikro

why 3 SS groups?

Post by Erikro »

In practice 50% of my searches are in the good group the fist time. The rest i search first in image, then in "other" and then "audio" just to be sure. And if that didnt work i go to newzbin and there i allways find it.

Why does NL split SS over 3 groups and not 1 group with all headers. Just like newzbin works.

btw SS is nice but so long as i sometimes cannot find it with SS but find it with newzbin, what's the use for SS if i have to use newzbin next to it. That would cost me 2 x $20 instead of 1 x $20, OK, NL and SS is a nicer and quicker combo. But i think SS must add just every binarie newsgroup with more then 1500 articles AND forget the 3 groups then i would be a eassy program. Just my 2 cents.

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Re: why 3 SS groups?

Post by dwazegek »

Erikro wrote:In practice 50% of my searches are in the good group the fist time. The rest i search first in image, then in "other" and then "audio" just to be sure. And if that didnt work i go to newzbin and there i allways find it.

Why does NL split SS over 3 groups and not 1 group with all headers. Just like newzbin works.

btw SS is nice but so long as i sometimes cannot find it with SS but find it with newzbin, what's the use for SS if i have to use newzbin next to it. That would cost me 2 x $20 instead of 1 x $20, OK, NL and SS is a nicer and quicker combo. But i think SS must add just every binarie newsgroup with more then 1500 articles AND forget the 3 groups then i would be a eassy program. Just my 2 cents.
agreed that the categories should be removed (the only advantage i see is to reduce server load, but as most groups are indexed in the "other" category this probably wouldn't matter)
as for which groups are indexed; i was under the impression that all groups in the alt.binaries tree were indexed as well as a few other groups.

which groups have you found to not be indexed? (except for the korean groups, which were removed intentionally)
Forum's Grammar Nazi:
I will hunt you down if you don't lose the extra o.

Erikro

Post by Erikro »

Its a bit strange, group is a.b.erotica.vcd
search for Sakura Tales, must be cds, i only see 4 articles now.
But I am sure you will find it

I have given more exeamples before, its always the same. i cant find it. I give here the example with the group it is in, you search, you find it, then i try it and suddenly i find it also, with the same parameters as before.

Point is: most of the time SS works and showed what i was looking for.
But i had to switch already at least 4 times to newzbin to search (and found) it there. Got no clue why i could find it.
It searched 7 days back, single word, two words, reset and clear to be sure. uncheck "only new", check "downloaded", tried checking and unchecking and that 3 times in the "3 groups", but just didnt find what i was looking for.
Tried anything i could possible think off

That way i need to keep newzbin for the few times SS didnt find it.

Erikro

Post by Erikro »

ps dwazegek, this was not ment as an attack on you or someone else for NL team, only that i don have an idea what is going on.

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek »

Erikro wrote:ps dwazegek, this was not ment as an attack on you or someone else for NL team, only that i don have an idea what is going on.
never took it as an attack :D

anyway, for sakura tales, i get 8 results, 7 of which are in a.b.erotica.vcd, all posts were done 2.5-3 days ago...

anyway, this is how the categories work; all indexed groups are put into 1 of the 3 categories, when you search in other, you only search the groups that are in the "other category". this can be a bit misleading, if i were to do an mp3 post in a.b.boneless (which is a dumpgroup in the other category) you wouldn't find anything doing an audio search. if a movie were to be posted in a.b.mp3.something, you'd have to search in audio to find it.
if i were spiril, i would seriously consider dumping the categories (if it's stil possible, without doing a major overhaul of the super search core), or add an "all" category
in short, if you really want to be sure, just search all categories
Forum's Grammar Nazi:
I will hunt you down if you don't lose the extra o.

Erikro

Post by Erikro »

dwazegek wrote:
Erikro wrote:ps dwazegek, this was not ment as an attack on you or someone else for NL team, only that i don have an idea what is going on.
never took it as an attack :D

anyway, for sakura tales, i get 8 results, 7 of which are in a.b.erotica.vcd, all posts were done 2.5-3 days ago...

anyway, this is how the categories work; all indexed groups are put into 1 of the 3 categories, when you search in other, you only search the groups that are in the "other category". this can be a bit misleading, if i were to do an mp3 post in a.b.boneless (which is a dumpgroup in the other category) you wouldn't find anything doing an audio search. if a movie were to be posted in a.b.mp3.something, you'd have to search in audio to find it.
if i were spiril, i would seriously consider dumping the categories (if it's stil possible, without doing a major overhaul of the super search core), or add an "all" category
in short, if you really want to be sure, just search all categories

Thanks for answering. I found the problem (at least this one). After you said you only found 6 hits just like me. I tried again with SS, also 6 hits. Tried newzbin, 113 hits !!! i was getting crazy :-)

But now i found out what happened, the poster said in ftd look for "sakura tales" but the name under it appears on the server is "sakura.tales", look at the point instead of spaces. Newzbin sees spaces and points as the same thing, thats why it gives better results / more hits.

Now the big question, can we ask spiril to alter SS so it find as much hits as newzbin??

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

Erikro wrote:I tried again with SS, also 6 hits. Tried newzbin, 113 hits !!! i was getting crazy Smile But now i found out what happened, the poster said in ftd look for "sakura tales" but the name under it appears on the server is "sakura.tales", look at the point instead of spaces. Newzbin sees spaces and points as the same thing, thats why it gives better results / more hits.
Now the big question, can we ask spiril to alter SS so it find as much hits as newzbin??
Ok. I just did a SSearch on "sakura.tales" (without the quotes) and got 144 results using the Other category.

--
Lips