Article retention time

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
rcstan

Article retention time

Post by rcstan »

I just registered my copy of Newsleecher. Trying to use SS but I am unable to leech any files older than 1 day. I get plenty on hits but they always say no longer on server. Am I doing something wrong?

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek »

which server are you using? if it's your isp's server, it could just be due to bad completion/retention, because the group isn't supported, or because the files haven't reached your server yet.
Forum's Grammar Nazi:
I will hunt you down if you don't lose the extra o.

rcstan

Post by rcstan »

Maybe you could briefly explain how SS works. I thought SS used a Newsleecher server, not my ISP server.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

rcstan wrote:Maybe you could briefly explain how SS works. I thought SS used a Newsleecher server, not my ISP server.
SSearch shows what's available. SSearch keeps a "list" of articles that have been uploaded to Usenet and then stores the info on the Super Search server (well, at least the header info is stored). You don't download the actual articles from the SSearch server. When you queue up the messages that are listed as the result of the SSearch, the arti's are then downloaded from your servers. By your servers I mean your ISP's newsserver or any other newsserver that you have an account with. So, even though SSearch shows that something is available from, for example, 35 days ago, you can only download the articles if they are available on the newsservers that you have access to.

HTH.

--
Lips

rcstan

Post by rcstan »

Thank you for the explanation. I can see now that the SSearch feature will not be of much use to me since my isp server only has an article retention, for binaries, of 3 days. And I do not want to shell out an additional $15.00 a month to subscribe to a premium news service.