Plea for an "all" search category

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
FuzzyDog

Plea for an "all" search category

Post by FuzzyDog »

Spiral,

Newsleecher and its SuperSearch feature is outstanding and I purchased the package a few days ago.

I'm not grasping the rational behind not having an "all" search category. Audio and Image search filters are nice but I'm missing out on binaries that I want because they aren't categorized correctly by the poster.

I don't want to do three searches each time I look for something and that's what I have to do now to be sure I don't miss a post. It also probably isn't the best for your server for people to search three times each new search string.

If it's an issue of too many results, perhaps you could limit the "all" category to several hundred results or something.

When I'm looking for something, it's not necessarily only images or audio or other. Many times, I'm looking for images and movies at the same time or cross categorical stuff like a movie and it's soundtrack or a movie and the game associated with it...or tsnumai images as well as videos...and who knows there may be an mp3 of an interview about tsunamis that would be interesting or an ebook...I just wouldn't search audio but would search "all" and it would be a nice surprise to see it in the list of returns.

Please consider adding "all" as a search category as it will save your users time and prevent them from missing possible posts they desire.

Thanks for all of your work on Newsleecher.

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek »

agreed, as it is each group gets put in a certain category, so if a group is marked as a "other" group doing a picture search won't give you any results even if you're looking for pictures.
i don't think having the categories even reduces the load on the server that much. as you said some people will just do 3 searches, and seeing as the other category is the largest, and most searches are probably done in that category the load difference won't be that significant
i'd like to go one step further actually, and not just add a other category, but remove the categories altogether
anyway, i'm hoping the current super search restructuring will change the categories as well... (fingers crossed)

grimlock72

Post by grimlock72 »

I would like an 'All' catagory and catagories added from your newsgroup list. But since that would be more work I'll settle for no catagories at all.

Btw. did you know that a post cross-posted to several groups only gets indexed into ONE catagory ? Specificly a post to both an Other and Image group is only visible in the Image catagory search...

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

grimlock72 wrote:I would like an 'All' catagory and catagories added from your newsgroup list. But since that would be more work I'll settle for no catagories at all.

Btw. did you know that a post cross-posted to several groups only gets indexed into ONE catagory ? Specificly a post to both an Other and Image group is only visible in the Image catagory search...
Yes, I have just recently found this to be a problem. Although the circumstances are slightly different. I was searching the audio category and for a few days thought the posts were just missing from SSearch. I found them in the Other category. The problem here was that the messages were cross-posted to a group in the Other category that should be in the Audio category. The group is a.b.pl.ape.

--
Lips