Super Search bragging?

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Scuttle

Super Search bragging?

Post by Scuttle »

Our goal with the Super Search engine is to provide true wildcard searching in all binary usenet groups with a full 50 days retenion. If we succeed, we're pretty sure we will be the only service in business to offer that.
Uhm...hello? Newzbin.com?

Daath

Post by Daath »

Now I'm no gold or premium member on newzbin.com, but as far as I can tell, newzbin is indexed by people, manually adding to newzbins index.
Super search is different, kind of like google for news ;) In other words, totally automatic.

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but newzbin only carries posts that other users have submitted. Super search automatically indexes everything that's posted in the groups it monitors, so there;s quite a difference.

Oh, and this isn't the super search forum ;)

daphatty
Forum Moderator

Post by daphatty »

dwazegek wrote:Oh, and this isn't the super search forum ;)
Correct you are sir! Moved...

Scuttle

Post by Scuttle »

dwazegek wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but newzbin only carries posts that other users have submitted. Super search automatically indexes everything that's posted in the groups it monitors, so there;s quite a difference.

Oh, and this isn't the super search forum ;)
Wrong you are sir.

Newzbin does exactly what SS does, but better. First, your searches aren't limited to one word/string, second, in addition to having a complete file-search, just like SS, it has indexed, categorized posts.

Oh, and Newzbin has 50 days retention

Wireless Geek

Post by Wireless Geek »

I hear ya, but the integration and seamlessness of SS in NL makes it a plus as well. SS is new, don't forget that. I'm sure it will evolve into a better product as time goes by, much like NL itself. I honestly really like SS. Sometimes I do wish I could refine a search better though.

Time will tell. But at this time, my money is supporting the NL / SS project.

-- Geek
Last edited by Wireless Geek on Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pka4916

Post by pka4916 »

ok, you are stupid scuttle...
SS shows the posts that are REALLY on the servers
Newsbin reports but then your still not sure if they are there..

Scuttle

Post by Scuttle »

pka4916 wrote:ok, you are stupid scuttle...
SS shows the posts that are REALLY on the servers
Newsbin reports but then your still not sure if they are there..
Um, now _you_ are being stupid... Newzbin and SS both get their data from newsservers, but neither can't _possibly_ know what posts are on the server I subscribe to.
I may have a server with horrible completion and retention. Neither Newzbin nor SS knows that.

GekkeKoe

Post by GekkeKoe »

ok, relax folks.. we get it, Newzbin is great, SS is great :lol:

what service doesn't brag a little? point is SS is excellent for what it offers and it can only get better IMO.
NARF!

Wireless Geek

Post by Wireless Geek »

Yeah, Scuttle is correct. You could do a server side search (using XPAT), if your host supports it, that will give you results for up to 3 different groups. It's free within NL, but results come much slower due to the nature of what it's doing. I think this is more in line of what pka4916 was potentially referring to. It's no SS though.

-- Geek

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Don't have access to the newzbin filedatabase atm. Does it also make a complete index all the image groups?

Scuttle

Post by Scuttle »

Spiril wrote:Don't have access to the newzbin filedatabase atm. Does it also make a complete index all the image groups?
Not all of them. I think about 30 or so groups in the alt.binaries.pictures.* hierarchy is indexed

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

Scuttle wrote:
Spiril wrote:Don't have access to the newzbin filedatabase atm. Does it also make a complete index all the image groups?
Not all of them. I think about 30 or so groups in the alt.binaries.pictures.* hierarchy is indexed
Actually no pictures are indexed with newzBin. While there are about 30 image groups being indexed, they're only indexing binaries other than pictures in those groups. newzBin does not index any image files which has been a consistent complaint of people in their forums who would like to include the scanned pictures people sometimes upload with DVD's and CD's.

techfuzz

Scuttle

Post by Scuttle »

techfuzz wrote: Actually no pictures are indexed with newzBin. While there are about 30 image groups being indexed, they're only indexing binaries other than pictures in those groups. newzBin does not index any image files which has been a consistent complaint of people in their forums who would like to include the scanned pictures people sometimes upload with DVD's and CD's.

techfuzz
Wrong

If you have a Newzbin-account, follow this link and you'll see. If you don't have a Newzbin-account, follow this which is a screnshot of the same

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Scuttle wrote:
Hmm, don't understand why you claim that newzbin does exactly the same as ss then...

At the moment, the SS server uses more system resources to keep a 25 days retention index for the alt.binaries.pictures* groups than it uses to keep a 50 days retention index for all of the other binary groups combined.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.