Super Search just doesn't cut it

Forum to discuss the NewsLeecher SuperSearch Service.
• Before posting SuperSearch questions, please read the SuperSearch Usage Guide.
• The current SuperSearch status is listed on the Services Status Page.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
enigmatl

Super Search just doesn't cut it

Post by enigmatl » Sat May 28, 2005 3:27 am

Spiril, as a paying user, I am pleading with you - when are you going to make your search engine usable? I have heard your explanation as to why your searches must be literal. But after thinking about it, this is as impractical as someone designing a racing car 3 times faster than the fastest car with one catch - the car must be fully stopped before it can make even the smallest turn.

Your program is otherwise beautiful but you can go on leaving this "super" search in your program but let's face it. People like me are gonna leave and never renew because the only person who is gonna be calling this search "super" is you. If I can't put in something as simple as "lost s01e24" or "lost 1x24" and get results like EVERY OTHER NEWS SEARCHER ON THE PLANET, then to me and other people doing practical searches, this search is gonna get nicknamed inferior search and not super search. "But my algorythm is so much faster." Dude, I'm sorry. The price is just too high for this argument to be worth a dime The example of trying to locate an episode of "Lost" comes to mind.

Oh sure. If I put in "lost24-25" what I want might come up. But I needed to use News Rover to find this just as I need news rover every week to find episodes of lost. Lost is just too common a word even with your 10,000 results so if I just put in "lost", I didn't find the correct set of files I was looking for even with narrowing.

There are other times too that I have to use News Rover for searching because your "super" search even with narrowing filter isn't so super because I can't read minds nor can anybody else and we don't know enough about how the article will be posted so we can not guess the exact literal string to search for.

Would you please just accept that it doesn't matter how fast your search it? What is given up in this "fast" algorythm is just not worth it. Now you got me for a year, nothing I can do about that. I'm not gonna renew. Heck if an announcement doesn't happen soon, I'm probably just gonna forget I signed up and remove the program and not even think about it when it comes time to renew.

The bottom line is your program is beautiful - it's almost a piece of art the way the interphase is compared to every other newsreader on the planet. But you need to please understand that your search engine in it's current form is unacceptable. Would you please change it? If you gota do it the way you say others do it, I don't think many of us will care, in fact most of us will thank you. A good search engine HAS to return good results and no matter how you slice it, nobody really likes a search engine that is literal only. At this time, many of your users will tolerate it but nobody "likes" it. and you need to start asking yourself how many of us are gonna jump ship the day newsbin gets a search engine? (and they are getting one) Because your news reader looks so cool, I'd like to see you have a non-literal search engine but I for one am switching to someone who has the next best interphase the day they get one if you haven't changed. PLEASE let us see you make the change before this happens - and you will continue to get renewals from me. Otherwise.....it won't happen.

CapZap

Post by CapZap » Tue May 31, 2005 3:27 am

Yeah, this program and the search feature rise to the level of art. Incredible work.

But, it's no good when the search engine is down. I haven't been able to connect for three days.

I had just gotten to the level of search useage that I used super search for everything I download. Now I'm back to downloading headers. Kind of like learning to fly and then not being able.

Of all the software I've used over the past 25 years, this is close to being the best. Right up there with WordPerfect 5.2 when it came out. But it's gotta work. And it didn't need to search faster -- it was already blazingly fast.

I'm just frustrated here.
"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

SusiBiker

Post by SusiBiker » Tue May 31, 2005 4:16 am

CapZap wrote:I had just gotten to the level of search useage that I used super search for everything I download. Now I'm back to downloading headers. Kind of like learning to fly and then not being able.
I'm just frustrated here.
Amen to that, brother!
I had to resort to using Easynews' Global Search 4 to find stuff, Zipping the files, then using ZipManager to generate NZBs for NL.
This is OK, but sadly the retention and completion on Easynews is way less than Giganews and so you cannot get NZBs for everything. Newzbin has been a bit lacking of late too in coming up with the goods.

C'mon Spiril, get this right. Once again, people are not annoyed that newsleecher.com was off-air, just annoyed at the lack of a prompt explanation.

Whatever the cause of the downtime. Hope you get it sorted ok. Good luck. :)
THE Science-Fiction Writer! ROBERT E. TAYLOR
www.hipoint.co.uk

enigmatl

Post by enigmatl » Tue May 31, 2005 5:11 am

SusiBiker wrote: C'mon Spiril, get this right. Once again, people are not annoyed that newsleecher.com was off-air, just annoyed at the lack of a prompt explanation.

Exactly. This program is starting to look lamer and lamer by the day. First the search is useless and requires newsrover as a backup which is just freakin' sad - but then, the service goes down and Spiril gives his PAYING USERS a the big f*** you of slience? As if to say "They'll get over it"? HAH I have news for ya, I won't get over it. Shape up, Spiril, when you take money from people, you're in business. We're paying you for a service. It might be wise for you to treat it as such lest we go elsewhere and pay someone else for the service.

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf » Tue May 31, 2005 5:37 am

enigmatl wrote:
SusiBiker wrote: C'mon Spiril, get this right. Once again, people are not annoyed that newsleecher.com was off-air, just annoyed at the lack of a prompt explanation.

Exactly. This program is starting to look lamer and lamer by the day. First the search is useless and requires newsrover as a backup which is just freakin' sad - but then, the service goes down and Spiril gives his PAYING USERS a the big f*** you of slience? As if to say "They'll get over it"? HAH I have news for ya, I won't get over it. Shape up, Spiril, when you take money from people, you're in business. We're paying you for a service. It might be wise for you to treat it as such lest we go elsewhere and pay someone else for the service.
We will most likely get an extension of our subscription-period for the period SS is down.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

tbaster

Post by tbaster » Tue May 31, 2005 7:41 am

Even when it's running, it isn't always too useful. If you are looking for a title rather than a filename, and the title is obscured as many posters are want to do, you are out of luck. You have to go to newzbin to search for the title.

Granted, it isn't possible for Supersearch to do what you have the warm-bodied Editors at newzbin doing, but it is a real drawback just the same.
Not something I'll want to pay a fee for when the free sub is up.

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf » Tue May 31, 2005 8:08 am

tbaster wrote:Even when it's running, it isn't always too useful. If you are looking for a title rather than a filename, and the title is obscured as many posters are want to do, you are out of luck. You have to go to newzbin to search for the title.

Granted, it isn't possible for Supersearch to do what you have the warm-bodied Editors at newzbin doing, but it is a real drawback just the same.
Not something I'll want to pay a fee for when the free sub is up.
Do you have a free subscription? How did you manage that.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer » Tue May 31, 2005 12:44 pm

I've been using supersearch since jan and this is ONLY outage i've noticed since. We have been refunded. I like super search, its retention is good.

Yes it does need some work and yes Spiral does know about it, but he (just like you) cant perform miracles. And I would like to see a version 2.5 of newsleecher before super search is upgraded.

And as people would say, if you arnt happy with the service, dont use it, or make your own

Daath

Post by Daath » Tue May 31, 2005 2:57 pm

Me1432 wrote:And as people would say, if you arnt happy with the service, dont use it, or make your own
Bullshit. We paid for it. He needs to make it work, and it needs to keep working.

enigmatl, I've discovered I need to change the way I search. Search broader, then use the "Result Filter" to narrow it down. Search for "lost" then type in "24" in the filter and BAM! There is lost.s01.e24-e25 ;) I'm still not used to searching like that, but it seems to work almost every time ;)
A registered News Leecher user? Of course I am! :)

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer » Tue May 31, 2005 3:04 pm

OK, i cant be arsed arguing anymore ive really got bored. I find it OK. there are plenty other searches out there, nobody made you pay for it or use it