Debugger Alert

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
Grantcr

Debugger Alert

Post by Grantcr »

I know this has been mentioned before but I have just tested 1.0b18 and found the same problem. When I right click on a file in the newsleecher file browser I get a message telling me that I am using a debugger either winice or softice when this is not the case. It works fine in b15 by the way.

Can you please fix this in your next release.

Thank you
Grant

Gregoor

Post by Gregoor »

Could you maybe specify if you are running some other tools or programs that are not average day use programs, and that might therefore be the ones incompatible with the check? That should really help the author fix it.

elite

Post by elite »

i got the same error when I went and right-clicked on the nzb file. It said the stuff about debugger and hten crashed. And I was not running anything out of hte ordinary.

EDIT: - it is happening on all files when right clicking

Grantcr

Post by Grantcr »

I am not running any unusual tools whilst running newsleecher. I have visual studio 6 and .NET installed and the java sdk as I am a developer but those application are not softice and I don't have softice installed.

This feature worked in b15 so it is a bug that has been introduced since b16.

Its pretty annoying that it boots you out of the program if you accidently right click on a file...

Grant

beergeek

Post by beergeek »

sounds like the anti-crack protection code kicking in, and you're not the first to report a problem.

Maybe Spiril can answer whether this code is disabled once the product is registered.

elite

Post by elite »

Well I am using a registered version - so I can't see how it is an anti-piracy thing.

I have .net installed with Java sdk but again no soft ice thing... (never heard of it....

I hope this can be fixed really soon as it is very very annoying - the worst thing is when it crashes it loses the queue unless you save first... :( (which I forgot to do)

beergeek

Post by beergeek »

Spiril did say that the entire NL app runs inside the anti-piracy wrapper, so it is very possible the code is still active in the reg'd version. Obviously, it is looking for any programs resident in memory that could be intercepting other application's data flows to make it more difficult for someone to find out what registry keys are being read, files accessed, code execution pointers, etc. and reset the timer or create a more permanent crack.

However, if I was getting these messages on my system just for using apps that I normally use (without trying to crack the program), I never would have registered. There's anti-piracy code and then there's paranoia.

Grantcr

Post by Grantcr »

beergeek you are right he said there is an anti crack shell running at the same time (unfortunatley this takes more resources on the computer).

Now I don't mind him protecting his program, it is how he makes his money after all but it is very frustrating when you have paid up and the anti crack shell is incorrectly detecting that you are trying to debug it.

I just want to see this resolved, like I said earlier b15 was fine, this bug(?) was introduced in b16 onwards(I am guessing this is a bug and not done on purpose!).

Can you fix it for us please Spiril?

Grant

elite

Post by elite »

please do fix it - coz it is sooo soo annoying