Incomplete downloaded files

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
champ

Post by champ »

spoorweg wrote:But do you have a incompete file sometimes? Or just like me: no complete files anymore?
I've been having incompletes about 50% of the time regardless of what newsgroup I download from. And they're from new articles (2-3 days old) from groups with a retention rate of at least 30 days.

JAmes009

Post by JAmes009 »

Same problem here... :(

I LOVE NL but with this bug i´m not using it anymore.

Fix the bug, and you may count with me.

Sorry about the bad english. A big hug from Portugal

zetaprime

Post by zetaprime »

spoorweg wrote:But do you have a incompete file sometimes? Or just like me: no complete files anymore?
I don't seem to be getting any more incompletes with the latest beta as with other versions. But the incomplete files do happen..and they are such that they'll download complete when I try again. That means it's not the server, but something in Newsleecher that's happening at random. That's why nobody can reproduce the bug. You never know when it will pop up. It's not something you can get to happen on demand. I notice the incomplete files most often if I download more than about 4 or 5 pictures at one time using Open/Read. It's still not somthing I can make happen. Sometimes it's possible to open 10 pic files straight without any of them failing. Other times it can happen on the 3rd pic. The other problem is that Newsleecher is unaware that it failed to download the whole file, so it doesn't generates an error message.

Credde

Post by Credde »

I am having the same problems, all files older than 2 days are just incomplete eventhough when downloading the headers I am told that the files are complete. When trying to download I get the following error:

14-06-2005 22:44:17 * Unavail. : None of the article parts were available on the server(s) anymore (430 No Such Article).

I use Yottanews and at first I thought it was them so I ofcourse wrote to yottanews support and they told me that nothing was wrong with their servers and they actually sent me their logfile when downloading the same files.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

Credde wrote:I am having the same problems, all files older than 2 days are just incomplete eventhough when downloading the headers I am told that the files are complete. When trying to download I get the following error:

14-06-2005 22:44:17 * Unavail. : None of the article parts were available on the server(s) anymore (430 No Such Article).

I use Yottanews and at first I thought it was them so I ofcourse wrote to yottanews support and they told me that nothing was wrong with their servers and they actually sent me their logfile when downloading the same files.
Did their logfile show which software they used to download the articles? They might have gotten headers and requested the articles by article number. It is possible the message-ids were no longer in the mid index.
A good test would be to create an nzb (in NL) of some of the problem articles and use another news client to import the nzb and get the articles. See if you don't have exactly the same problem.

--
Lips

Doc Orac

Post by Doc Orac »

I have also problems with YottaNews, when i want something out of alt.binaries.boneless. They replied:

Make sure you download headers and request articles by
group/article number and not by message-id. Message-id requests
are not as reliable.

and with

It's a time issue. Message-ID requests are only reliable for the
first few days after receiving them. It's a known defect in the
highwinds software.
Have A Nice Day!

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

Doc Orac wrote:I have also problems with YottaNews, when i want something out of alt.binaries.boneless. They replied:

are not as reliable.

and with

highwinds software.
No surprise about this being a time issue; that the mids do not remain in the index after what appears to be a short period of time.
Thanks for confirming.

--
Lips

Credde

Post by Credde »

Lips wrote:
Doc Orac wrote:I have also problems with YottaNews, when i want something out of alt.binaries.boneless. They replied:

are not as reliable.

and with

highwinds software.
No surprise about this being a time issue; that the mids do not remain in the index after what appears to be a short period of time.
Thanks for confirming.

--
Lips
What to do then? Any solution?

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

Sure, use another newsreader, use a different provider, or forget about the post in question al together.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

Credde wrote:
Lips wrote:
Doc Orac wrote:It's a time issue. Message-ID requests are only reliable for the first few days after receiving them. It's a known defect in the highwinds software.
Thanks for confirming.
What to do then? Any solution?
Sure. My preference is to use a newsserver that isn't broken. Get an account with a different NSP. There are a number of different types of accounts. I don't know what your newsserver needs are, such as retention, speed, will this account be mostly used for fills (and headers), how much do expect to download per month, so do you need an unlimited account or a monthly limited account or maybe a block account.

For unlimited: Giganews (costs the most, very reliable, hightest retention), Newshosting, APN (make sure they carry the groups that you use). These NSPs also have monthly download limited accounts. Again, depending upon your needs, Newsreader.com and Octanews may be of interest. There are others.

Here's some links to newsserver info:
Ed’s server info page
usenetforyou
newsgroupservers

If you want to use a server that does not properly serve article requests by message-id, you can use a different news client. And you *must* get headers from that server.

Edit: spelling. should read "properly serve".

--
Lips
Last edited by Lips on Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

binereon

Going back with BNR2

Post by binereon »

I've been using Newsleecher for a few weeks now and its mostly rock-solid, except for the missing blocks and incomplete files.

I thought it was just the state of my newserver, but after downloading files from a larger posting which turned out to be incomplete by 1 block and which couldn't be recovered with par2 files, I decided to give BNR2 a go at it.

All of these files which I needed were over 40 days old mind you. With BNR2, every single file was complete. Wow.

Newsleecher is great with headers and has a nice user interface as well as good .nzb file support and excellent filtering, but if it can't get the files as they're supposed to be gotten, its dead out of the gate.

Spiril really needs to change the way it handles articles. If a file is incomplete, then it should mark the incomplete parts and keep them in the queue so that they can be regrabbed later on via another server maybe. There are still posts that lack par2 files where this would be necessary. And the complete parts of that file should be placed in the download directory and named to indicate which parts are present and which are missing (As BNR2 does).

Has this bug/problem been fixed in NL 2.3 (Using 2.0 still)? If not, I'm sticking with BNR2 once again.

champ

Post by champ »

Lips wrote:If you want to use a server that does not properly server article requests by message-id, you can use a different news client. And you *must* get headers from that server.
So Giganews & Newshosting don't have this 'message-id' problem?

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

Nope :)
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

champ wrote:
Lips wrote:If you want to use a server that does not properly server article requests by message-id, you can use a different news client. And you *must* get headers from that server.
So Giganews & Newshosting don't have this 'message-id' problem?
No they don't.

techfuzz

champ

Post by champ »

champ wrote:
I've been having incompletes about 50% of the time regardless of what newsgroup I download from. And they're from new articles (2-3 days old) from groups with a retention rate of at least 30 days.
Today I switched from usenet-access to newshosting and am no longer experiencing incompletes or hanging of any sort. I've been able to download from groups I previously had a 100% failure rate with.

I tried re-downloading incompletes I got with usenet-access which resulted in completes from newshosting.

I no longer received maximum connections exceeded messages.

My problems were actually related to usenet-access and not newsleecher.