Incomplete downloaded files

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz »

champ wrote: Today I switched from usenet-access to newshosting and am no longer experiencing incompletes or hanging of any sort. I've been able to download from groups I previously had a 100% failure rate with.

I tried re-downloading incompletes I got with usenet-access which resulted in completes from newshosting.

I no longer received maximum connections exceeded messages.

My problems were actually related to usenet-access and not newsleecher.
Glad to hear you resolved your problems by switching. We'll have to remember the issues you brought up with usenet-access. Maybe their index is corrupt and they just won't bother fixing it.

techfuzz

Credde

Post by Credde »

You are talking about newshosting... Is that http://www.newshosting.com/

I can see that they offer the same stuff as Yottanews for the same price, so if they are working then I am changing aswell and hopefully my problems stop!

champ

Post by champ »

Credde wrote:You are talking about newshosting... Is that http://www.newshosting.com/

I can see that they offer the same stuff as Yottanews for the same price, so if they are working then I am changing aswell and hopefully my problems stop!
Yes, I was referring to newshosting.com in regards to my troubles (incompletes, hangings) being cleared up.

Credde

Post by Credde »

Allrighty then, thanks mate... I am changing on the fly then...

rle

Post by rle »

Most of the times that i've got missing blocks are during heavy system activity (when i've got a few par checks and a unrar running).

A redownload of the damaged articles solves nearly all of the problems (when NL-headers show them complete).
It seems to be a timing problem when NL doesn't get time or disc-access during assembling.

I've just done some testing and I can reproduce the problem !!!

I've started 5 quickpar create's and 1 unrar at the same disk.
My disk was getting verry buzzy, processor use was 10-25%
All the parts (bin and raw) were complete and the result file not

Success with solving the problem

I'm using giganews / NL 2.3beta / intel 2K / 512Mb

SPIRIL pm'd me: Thanks, I'll try to get it solved for the next major release. A new download engine has alredy been incorporated.

chromium

Post by chromium »

techfuzz wrote:
champ wrote:
Lips wrote:If you want to use a server that does not properly server article requests by message-id, you can use a different news client. And you *must* get headers from that server.
So Giganews & Newshosting don't have this 'message-id' problem?
No they don't.

techfuzz
They may not have message-id problems, but I definitely still get the incomplete problem on Newshosting. Stop trying to blame the providers and fix the software! Spiral said he was rewriting the download engine, how is that coming along?

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

chromium wrote:
techfuzz wrote:
champ wrote: So Giganews & Newshosting don't have this 'message-id' problem?
No they don't.

techfuzz
They may not have message-id problems, but I definitely still get the incomplete problem on Newshosting. Stop trying to blame the providers and fix the software!
What? There are, unfortunately, broken newsservers. The bugs in NL, which certainly may include your incomplete problem, is for Spiril to take care of. The author, however, cannot fix the broken servers.

--
Lips

chromium

Post by chromium »

Lips wrote:
chromium wrote:
techfuzz wrote: No they don't.

techfuzz
They may not have message-id problems, but I definitely still get the incomplete problem on Newshosting. Stop trying to blame the providers and fix the software!
What? There are, unfortunately, broken newsservers. The bugs in NL, which certainly may include your incomplete problem, is for Spiril to take care of. The author, however, cannot fix the broken servers.

--
Lips
I didn't say that there weren't broken servers, but to say that the problem of incompletes goes away if you use Newshosting is totally false. I use Newshosting and get loads of incompletes. I can reproduce the problem now. I am downloading as we speak and using Visual Studio .Net at the same time to do some work. 9/10 of my downloaded files are a few bytes short. So Newsleecher definitely has a bug that causes it to write the files to disk incorrectly if the machine has heavy load on it. This will happen on ANY news server.

chromium

Post by chromium »

xxxx.part001.rar rar 49,998,748 25/06/2005 2:29:08 PM
xxxx.part002.rar rar 50,000,000 25/06/2005 2:23:16 PM
xxxx.part003.rar rar 50,000,000 25/06/2005 2:34:54 PM
xxxx.part004.rar rar 49,999,370 25/06/2005 2:40:44 PM
xxxx.part005.rar rar 49,999,744 25/06/2005 2:46:56 PM
xxxx.part006.rar rar 49,999,745 25/06/2005 2:52:46 PM
xxxx.part007.rar rar 50,000,000 25/06/2005 2:58:26 PM
xxxx.part008.rar rar 49,999,620 25/06/2005 3:04:06 PM
xxxx.part009.rar rar 49,999,878 25/06/2005 3:10:08 PM
xxxx.part010.rar rar 49,996,726 25/06/2005 3:15:54 PM
xxxx.part011.rar rar 49,999,751 25/06/2005 3:21:32 PM
xxxx.part012.rar rar 49,997,857 25/06/2005 3:27:00 PM
xxxx.part013.rar rar 50,000,000 25/06/2005 3:32:44 PM

These files should all be 50,000,000 bytes. These are my results from using Newsleecher while my PC was under moderate load, of course, there is no mention of failed/incomplete downloads in the log. I guess if you use nothing but Newsleecher on your machine you won't get incompletes, but this isn't acceptable. Still can't believe that this bug hasn't been fixed, it's been around since day 1!

mpioso

Post by mpioso »

Hi,

Been a reg'd user for a while and have the following complaint/shortcoming along same issue:

Ver 2.2 Final and/or Ver 2.3 Final
Verizon ISP
FW= ZoneAlarm v5.1.011.000
Almost all d/l's come in incomplete lately - past couple of weeks.
Speed of download completely sucks and is very erratic taking a lot of time.

Same files, same News at Verizon using NewsBin at same time of day=
100% complete files
Speed is at 100% max without any erratic breaks etc.

So now what? I prefer NL using Super Search but downloading is a complete disaster here and would appreciate any insight... ain't my News provider is what I am saying. It is NL....

Mike

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips »

mpioso wrote:Ver 2.2 Final and/or Ver 2.3 Final
Verizon ISP
FW= ZoneAlarm v5.1.011.000
Almost all d/l's come in incomplete lately - past couple of weeks.
Speed of download completely sucks and is very erratic taking a lot of time.

Same files, same News at Verizon using NewsBin at same time of day=
100% complete files
Speed is at 100% max without any erratic breaks etc.
mpioso -

Diable ZA (is this also your av?), download something, and see if one or both of the problems disappear.

When you use NBP, are you importing an nzb or are you getting the group's headers from Verizon and downloading from the same server? If it's the latter, take a look at This Thread.

--
Lips

chromium

NZB-O-Matic

Post by chromium »

I've started using this now instead of Newsleecher, it's free and downloads files properly. Maybe Spiril should get some lessons from the author. Not a single incomplete so far.

eurodude

Post by eurodude »

chromium wrote:I've started using this now instead of Newsleecher, it's free and downloads files properly. Maybe Spiril should get some lessons from the author.
I think that's unfair to Spiril and uncalled for. IMO Newsleecher is an excellent client overall. Most importantly, it's fast and has an effective, convenient UI.

I am experiencing the incompletes problem with v2.3 Final far less than with earlier versions, but it's still there and happens for less than 1% of files dl'ed. It's mainly of concern to me in mp3 groups, where many posts are just raw files, not rar'ed and they don't come with recovery blocks, so you can't tell if a file's bad. Only maybe by playing back the songs, but I DL stuff much faster than I can listen to it. ;)

chromium

Post by chromium »

eurodude wrote:
chromium wrote:I've started using this now instead of Newsleecher, it's free and downloads files properly. Maybe Spiril should get some lessons from the author.
I think that's unfair to Spiril and uncalled for. IMO Newsleecher is an excellent client overall. Most importantly, it's fast and has an effective, convenient UI.

I am experiencing the incompletes problem with v2.3 Final far less than with earlier versions, but it's still there and happens for less than 1% of files dl'ed. It's mainly of concern to me in mp3 groups, where many posts are just raw files, not rar'ed and they don't come with recovery blocks, so you can't tell if a file's bad. Only maybe by playing back the songs, but I DL stuff much faster than I can listen to it. ;)
Exactly, it's a complete disaster downloading files without pars such as mp3s and music videos. I refuse to use Newsleecher anymore, I paid for it, but won't be renewing until this problem is fixed. A client can have all the features in the world, but if it can't perform it's basic functionality (downloading files) properly then it is useless. NZB-O-Matic has virtually no features, but what it does do is download files properly. Spiril needs to focus on downloading files, so that this part of the program is perfect, I couldn't care less about supersearches, speed limiters, etc if it can't download files properly. Until then, i'm not using it.

DCBA-25

Post by DCBA-25 »

Lips wrote:
chromium wrote:
techfuzz wrote: No they don't.

techfuzz

--
Lips
You must be kidding!!!! How come others newsgroup clients don't have this huge bug??
And this is a software for downloading binaries from newsgroups servers isn't it? So... it's primary function should have been downloading well! But it doesn't.. and i'm sick and tired of blaming servers...
Even if it was servers, how come other clients work around that and download well, and newsleecher don't??
I'm been ripped off for a long time! Fix this instead of blaming servers...