Anti-debugger being over-enthusiastic sometimes

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.
CalamityJake

Anti-debugger being over-enthusiastic sometimes

Post by CalamityJake »

Version: 1.0 beta 26

Operating System w/ Service Pack Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600

Installation Method: Full
Type of Installation: Beta
Number of Servers: 2
List your provider(s): news.individual.net, nntp.buzzardnews.com
Connections per server: 1
Server priority: 1, 1

Bug Description:
Just go to the File Manager tab, pick a file, right-click it and voila:"Debugger detected - please close it down and restart" and some note about not being allowed to have Softice started as service under NT

By the way, did you manage with this kind of barbarian techniques to stop at least a few crackers from studying your code ? I think there are some patches listed at astalavista :wink:

CalamityJake

Post by CalamityJake »

Forgot to mention - I am not running any debugger when I get this. While I agree you can do whatever you want to protect your program, I cannot understand this silence regarding your protection's interference with innocent user's actions. I mean this is clearly a bug, can anyone at least tell me if you can reproduce it on your computer following the steps I described?
Thank you.

Q-Bert

Post by Q-Bert »

I've never had that problem in any version, and I'm currently running b25

CalamityJake

Post by CalamityJake »

Then probably the bug was introduced in version beta 26 which I am running.

mudone11

Post by mudone11 »

I'm using beta 26 with no problems,.

andulvar

Post by andulvar »

It was introduced in beta 16 (first reported on May 6). Newsleecher uses a third-party anti-hacking protection. This protection is broken, causing the error you see on a lot of people's systems. So far, there is no word on if or when a fix will come. Personally I can live without the file manager tab, but it's still pretty silly.

elite

Post by elite »

this was reported earlier as a bug - I think it came in beta 19 and is anoying the heck out out of me!!!

I wish it will get fixed soon :evil:

see viewtopic.php?p=9344

NiukNiuk

Post by NiukNiuk »

I've never had this bug, until B29:
Now, when I'm on the explorer window, I can't "shift-del" a file, or even right click on it.
The program shows this notice (blah blah debugger etc...), and closes without saving the headers I've downloaded (really, REALLY annoying).
Wtf is that?

CalamityJake

Post by CalamityJake »

Forgot to tell you, a while after I installed Newsleecher (which gave me this error from the beginning), explorer started crashing just when right-clicking on a folder, and after a while even when pressing Ctrl-X or Ctrl-C on anything. I tried removing spyware with ad-aware, to no avail. Some application might have screwed up my context menu handlers/shell commands. Anyway I reinstalled XP and from then on Newsleecher did not detect imaginary debuggers anymore. There's this program ContextEdit from pcmagazine which can be used to edit the context menu and remove/disable suspect handlers. I didn't pay much attention to this, it might have worked if I tried it instead of reinstalling the system. If anyone wants it I can send it to you by email.

NiukNiuk

Post by NiukNiuk »

THx for the info :D
You can aslo get this tool here:

Code: Select all

http://www.ramlende.com/utilities.html

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

If you still have probs with the debugger notice, pls try to uninstall divx entirely from your system and see if that helps.

I talked to the author of the 3rd party app that produces the debugger notice and he says that newer versions of divx causes that.

kujoy

Post by kujoy »

yep unistalling the latest Divx (Dr DivX 1.05) fixed this for me.

Kujoy

andulvar

Post by andulvar »

Spiril wrote:If you still have probs with the debugger notice, pls try to uninstall divx entirely from your system and see if that helps.

I talked to the author of the 3rd party app that produces the debugger notice and he says that newer versions of divx causes that.
I have tried that, and Newsleecher still drops out with "debugger detected" error. That goes for all Newsleecher versions up to v1.0 B32.